Do you have Scantron at your school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bluediver, Nov 12, 2010.

?

Do you use Scantron?

1. Yes, as much as possible, and I love it!

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. Yes, but it can be cumbersome sometimes.

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. No, I'd rather do things by hand

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. No, I don't have access to scantron machine

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. bluediver

bluediver Rookie

Nov 12, 2010

Do you use it? Why or why not?

Anyone here does not have access to a scantron machine school but wishes they did?

I'm doing a research project and curious to know how accessible scantron technology is for teachers, and whether you like using it or not for grading.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Hisham

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 12, 2010

We've always had one at my school, and I've been there for 18 years. It's handy for quick grading, which is important with over 100 students per day. I also like being able to do a data analysis as well.

I don't use it as much in the years since I've had a clicker system, though.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 12, 2010

We have one but the only time I use it is for final exams. I probably could save myself some time if I used the scantron though. I've just never bothered. Maybe next term when I'll have 90 students all in the same course instead of 65 in two different ones like I have this term. It would definitely be quicker to run 90 tests through the scantron.

5. bluediver

bluediver Rookie

Nov 12, 2010

Thanks everyone for the answers! This is really helpful.

It seems (from the poll results) like everyone so far who uses scantron, finds it somewhat cumbersome to use. Can you elaborate on what parts of it make it cumbersome?

And for those said they didn't have have access to scantron, why not? Has your school simply not bought one, have they decided against buying one, or some other reason?

Any insight you give is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Hisham

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 13, 2010

The machine is in the library, and it makes a lot of noise. The library isn't open when I get to work in the morning. During my planning time, there is a class in the library. I have to grade them after school.

7. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Nov 13, 2010

We have one, but due to budget cuts, we now have to buy our own forms. The ones that work with our machine are pretty expensive, so I only use them for exams now.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2010

I don't know if cumbersome is the right word, but I just think it is a pain. Ours is centrally located, and getting your hands on the forms is a pain, too.

And I can tell you from having to order these as dept chair - they cost almost 50 cents a piece for the half size grademaster forms. If I used them for my all students it would cost almost $100 this semester.

9. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Nov 14, 2010

We have them at school but there are only a limited number of forms available. We are only allowed to use them for exams.

10. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Nov 14, 2010

I didn't respond because of your wording. I love the Scantron, have one in the room next door, find it very easy to use BUT I give short answer questions in Science that require me reading so no reason to most of the time. I am not a fan multiple choice question tests.

11. bluediver

bluediver Rookie

Nov 15, 2010

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your responses again! This is really good info.

A few of you mention a common pain with scantron -- the machine is often not easily accessible in your school and the forms are expensive to print.

What do you think then of these alternatives that work with off-the-shelf scanners and let teachers print their own bubble sheets? One is called zip-scan (zip-scan dot com), and the other is called inspiroscan (inspiroscan dot com).

Have you heard of them? Would do you think of them?

(p.s. I do not represent either of these companies. I'm just a university student who thinks scantron is outdated & expensive technology and that teachers deserve something better)

12. bluediver

bluediver Rookie

Nov 16, 2010

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your responses, this is helpful.

A few of you mentioned a common point that scantron forms are expensive, and access to the machine is somewhat limited. So you don't get to use the forms as much as you want to.

What about solutions out there that let you print your own forms and use an existing (standard) scanner to scan the sheets and get results? Have you heard of them? Do they work?

Thanks,
    Hisham

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 16, 2010

We have one, but the only thing we use it for are our TLI tests (9 weeks testing). The tests are graded for us and entered into a web site that our state uses.
    If I am doing multiple choice tests on my own I will use my 3-instruction responders. Much easier on my part.

ETA: I did also not answer the poll because of the wording.

14. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Nov 16, 2010

We have a data analysis program that allows us to analyze all of our state test results as well as any classroom tests and benchmark data. It is a very useful program that comes with printers that scan all the benchmark/classroom assessments and imports it into the data analysis program where we can then run a variety of reports. Although what we have is not considered a scantron machine, I love using the scanners. All general ed teachers have the scanning printers in our classes and they make some noise, but not enough to discontinue using them. The data analysis program lets the teachers use our scanning printers to print bubble answer sheets on regular printer paper. The program also has an online mode for students to take the test without having to run bubble sheets and scan them in. The program is expensive initially and has a yearly fee, but oh so valuable to teachers and administrators. I definately think our system is more user friendly than the scantron forms since we all have the scanner/printer in our rooms, we can use regular copy paper, and the reports that can be generated are almost required in this day and age.

15. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 16, 2010

I marked yes and I love it, but that's really not an accurate answer for me.

I do use it and I do like it, but I don't use it "as much as possible" as I'm not a fan of multiple choice testing.

Ours is not the Scantron brand, but it's a pretty small machine and I can actually set it up for the kids to check their own work with. They enjoy using it this way and it's a very handy way to review.

I also use it for my full blown practice tests in getting ready for End of Course. The grading is very easy and the question analysis is great.

16. bluediver

bluediver Rookie

Nov 18, 2010

Thanks everyone for voting and sharing your thoughts with me.

This topic started after some of my professors complained about their scantron machines. So I went off to explore this technology and see how other teachers are using it and if anyone has found more user-friendly or less expensive alternatives.

It's very interesting. I'm currently interviewing some more teachers and profs like you and doing more research into the alternatives. My goal is to conclude with some best practices for automatic grading of tests.

If you're interested in hearing about my findings once I have them, just PM me. I'll likely also update the group once I'm done with my research if people are interested.

Hisham

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2010

I teach math.

Grading by scantron doesn't allow for partial credit.

I use it for the Part I of trimester and final exams, but never for classroom tests.