Do you have Newsletters???

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Mally, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Mally

Mally Rookie

Apr 4, 2007

Does your Centre put out a Newsletter for parents?
    If so, how often?
    What kinds of things go in your Newsletter?
    Do you do a calendar and/or written columns?
    What makes your Newsletter attractive to parents?

I used to do them monthly, but I'm so discouraged because it doesn't really seem that anyone reads them. I want to know what I can do to make it more interesting so parents will actually read it.

Thanks

3. KarenPreK

KarenPreK Companion

Apr 4, 2007

I do a weekly email newsletter just for my class. I used to despise writing newsletters. It was so tedious. I actually enjoy making newsletters now, though. I got this idea from a friend. I take photos of the activities we do in class, or something neat the kids do or make at center time. When I put the newsletter together I type any books we read, song titles, etc. Then I just insert photos and type a brief sentence describing each photo. This is done in a Word doc, then copied and pasted into an email. Parents love it. Parents tend to take newsletters for granted and forget to say thanks, but every now and then someone will say "oh, by the way..." and then I know they really do appreciate it. I guess what I like about it is that I don't have to write paragraphs, because the pictures "are worth a thousand words".

4. teacherkerry

teacherkerry Rookie

Apr 4, 2007

We do a monthly newsletter which includes dates of special events such as cooking days, colour days, field trips or if parents need to send in items for art projects. If you want you can check them out on our website www.biggestlittlepreschool.com and follow the links to newsletters.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2007

Weekly because parents are more likely to pay attention. They have commented that they like the weekly letters. I sometimes include a hand out of useful information. They love that. Parenting tip, etc. At Easter I give them a hand out about why NOT to get their child a bunny at Easter. Useful information. Health issues, etc.

6. ArizonaTeacher

ArizonaTeacher Rookie

Apr 4, 2007

We have a monthly calendar with the weekly themes and school activities listed. Each class also has a weekly newsletter written by the teachers. We include art, circle time topics, science, cooking, special thanks, special reminders, birthdays and we welcome new kids to the class.

7. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Apr 4, 2007

I teach elementary school (1st and 2nd grades) but my daughters go to an in-home daycare while I'm at school and my hubbie is at work. She just recently started having a newsletter and she said she will be doing it monthly. I do mine weekly for my class.

8. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Apr 5, 2007

we do a monthly newsletter and place the newsletter on the parents board for the parents to see if they misplace their newsletter. but most of our parents never read them.

9. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Apr 5, 2007

I do a weekly newsletter. I used to receive mailbox magazine and I copied "Classroom Times" newsletters with cute little pictures on them and individual boxes for writing. Every Friday the other teacher in my program and I get together and write it out to send home. We have 4 sections- "This Week," "A Look Ahead," "Reminders," and "Just a Note..." Then there is an extra blank space on the page that we each personalize with something that is specific for our class (for example, last week I asked my parents to send in soap, while she did not have to). I love it because it is such a simple way to review what we're doing and where we're going, without having to send out a paper every time something comes up. I know there are things that can wait until Friday and just get put in the newsletter.

In addition to that, we send out a monthly calendar that lists what we will be doing curriculum-wise every day. I HATE IT. My director made one for us in September and then basically required that we do it each month, without technically requiring it. I hate it because life happens! We have good days where we get ahead and do things a day before they were planned, and then we have bad days where the kids are crazy and things take twice as long and we fall behind, or it's just so nice out that we spend extra time outside and put something off to the next day. Then I spend the month concerned that the parents are feeling that I'm falling behind or unorganized, just because I am not following the calendar. I think it's a waste of my time and not necessary for the parents to know what story I will be reading each day, but these are the things we do to please directors. If I stay next year and have some more pull, one of my first requests will be to eliminate the calendar.

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 5, 2007

We post our lesson plans for the week, but I don't think I actually have any parents who read them. We post outside our room a "sharing our day" sheet (laminated, so we use dry erase markers) that we can write down what we did, what story we read, what we talked about at circle, what our big centers were, etc. It works.

We don't do a newsletter in our classrooms, although our center puts one out monthly about important dates, special things going on, etc.

Last year, I did a monthly newsletter... not as much what we were covering curriculum-wise (PreK special ed, so curriculum was VERY individualized based on IEP's), but things like "winter is a great time to work on self-help skills, like zipping, hanging coats up, putting on mittens," supplies we needed in the classroom, any field trips or special activities we were doing. I had several parens asking for activities they could do at home, so I always picked a topic (science, math, language, outside time, "waiting" games, etc) and listed a bunch of things they could do at home to help out with what they're learning at school. My parents seemed to appreciate it.

11. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Apr 6, 2007

I do a weekly newsletter, it takes me only about 10-15 minutes per week. Here is a link to a page where you can view a sample of my weekly newsletter: ~*~vanna's weekly newsletter~*~ Just scroll down to where it says "view sample newsletter". I have found that if you put the text in text boxes it breaks up the info into easy to read little "bite sized" pieces so the parents can read it easily and quickly. Parents these days are always in a hurry and overscheduled so anything you can do to make it easy and quick to read will help increase the number of parents who read your newsletter. I also use BEAR books (same link as the one I posted above) and when I started using those my level of parent participation and the number of them who read my newsletters dramatically increased.

12. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Apr 11, 2007

We do a monthly newsletter that covers an overview of what we did the past month. Also, it includes upcoming birthdays, upcoming events, homework assignments, and important things to remember!