Do you have any good reading questions?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by E Bunni 99, Jan 22, 2007.

1. E Bunni 99

E Bunni 99 Rookie

Jan 22, 2007

Hello! I hope some other great teachers had a snow day today with me! I know I have enjoyed and made the most of my time off. Sadly though, I feel like I could use another day! :eek: So much to do and so little time! Especially with grades due!

I use to have a great sheet I used for quick reading questions. It had a list of quick questions you could pull from to do some a reading comprehension check. I can not locate it though. Does anyone know a great site I could get something like this from or have any questions they could give me? I am going to try and recreate the paper I had.

Example Question: Compare and Contrast yourself to a character in the book.

I also had the list of 101 great book project ideas. These papers were put together when I misplaced them. :eek: Does anyone have some great project ideas?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

3. E Bunni 99

E Bunni 99 Rookie

Jan 22, 2007

PS: I teach middle school English! :)

4. logan_morgan

logan_morgan Rookie

Jan 23, 2007

I teach 6th grade - here are some questions we use for discussion groups.

Are any of the events in the book relevant to your own life?
     At the end of the book, do you feel hope for the characters? Why or why not?
     Be a character from the story. Tell who you are, what you do in the story, and why it is important.
     Choose your favorite scene in the story and tell what happened. Why is this scene your favorite?
     Compare and contrast this book to another book you’ve read recently. How are they alike? How are they different?
     Consider the main character: what does he or she believe in? What is he or she willing to fight for?
     Describe how the main character reacted to an event in the story, and how you would have responded differently.
     Describe the main character and another character in the story. Explain how they are alike and different.
     Describe the part of the plot you found most interesting, including who, what, when, where, why and how.
     Describe the setting of the story. How is the setting important to the plot?
     Did you find any flaws in the book?
     Did you find this book a quick read? Why or why not?
     Do you think the main character in the story made good or bad choices? Using examples from the book, what makes you think that?
     Have you ever experienced anything similar to the action of this novel?
     How believable are the characters? Which character do you identify with?
     How did you feel about the main character?
     How does the arrangement of the book help or detract from the ideas it contains?
     How does the main character change during the story? Describe the main character at the beginning and in what ways that character was different at the end.
     How does the title relate to the book?
     How does this book compare to other books you've read? Would it make a good movie? Is there a film adaptation of this book? What is brought out or played down in the film version?
     How is the book structured? Flashbacks? Multiple points of view? Why do you think the author chose to write the book this way?
     How is the setting of the book important to the theme?
     How might this story change if it were set in the past or the future?
     If you could choose one character from your story as a friend, who would you choose and why?
     If you were the main character in the story, how would things have been different?
     In one sentence, summarize your book, including main character, setting, plot, and conclusion.
     Is everything in the story believable? Explain your answer.
     Tell why the book is good or bad and explain your reasons.
     The best reason to read this book is . . .
     What are some of the major themes of this book?
     What are the most important relationships in the book?
     What are the most revealing scenes?
     What are your concerns about this book?
     What character in your book is most like you? Why?
     What did you enjoy about this book?
     What did you think of the style of the writer?
     What do you admire about the main character? How has that character influenced your behavior?
     What do you think the author was trying to accomplish with this novel?
     What have you read that is similar to this book?
     What is one thing the author makes you curious about and why?
     What is stronger in the book: plot or character development? Why? Do you think this was intentional on the part of the author?
     What is the great strength - or most noticeable weakness - of the book?
     What is the main idea or topic of your book?
     What is the most interesting scene in the novel so far?
     What is the problem or conflict in the book?
     What kind of person is the main character in your book? Use information and details from the story to support your point of view.
     What lesson did you learn from this story?
     What makes a minor character memorable?
     What surprised you about the main character?
     What was the main character’s problem in the story? How was the problem solved? How would you have solved the problem?
     What would be your goal if you had the same problem as the main character?
     What’s something the main character would never do? What makes you believe that?
     Where could the story go after the book ends? What is the future of these characters' lives? What would our lives be like if we lived in this story?
     Who was your favorite character? What did you appreciate about him/her?
     Why do you think the author wrote this book?
     Write three questions for an interview with the main character.
     Write three questions you have after reading this book.
     You need one of the characters in the story to work with you on an important school project. Which character would you choose? Explain why.

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2007

Thank you for posting that list! I teach fifth, but will definitely use some, if not most of those with my reading groups :)

6. E Bunni 99

E Bunni 99 Rookie

Jan 24, 2007

That is a great list! Very impressive. Thank you! :)

7. madwoods

madwoods Rookie

Apr 16, 2007

Thanks, LOVE IT!