Do you have an interior drainage system-basements?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by corps2005, Aug 26, 2008.

1. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 26, 2008

Well, once again, our basement flooded...one Sunday and today, so I'm home today, since we are expecting showers all day long. Exterior drainage systems are expensive to install, so we were thinking about going with an interior drainage system in the basement where they chip away the concrete floor six inches out from the walls, install the piping, run it outside, and reconcrete the surface.

Right now, the water content is so concentrated outside that it wiggles its way through the gaps around out sewer and water lines. If it's a slow rain, this water goes down the wall and finds its way into a crack along the joint of the wall and the slab, BUT if the water becomes to full down there it comes back up the joints and spills onto our basement floor. It's a heavy rain, then it doesn't matter either way, because the water just goes everywhere.

Does anyone on here have an interior drainage system in their basement? Does it work?

3. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 26, 2008

rofl. I guess these aren't that popular :p

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2008

We have sump pump but before but before my husband finished our basement he sealed any cracks in the walls even though they weren't leaking, just to be sure. So I really don't know if a sump pump is the same thing you are talking about. But we have no leaks or water at all in our basement.

5. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 26, 2008

The good thing is we don't need a sump pump for our basement. They are able to use gravity as a means to pull the water away from the house. It's just we haven't met anyone who has an interior drainage system, so we're unsure about moving forward.

6. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Aug 26, 2008

When we looked into a Be Dry system (interior drains) it was going to cost us 9,000. We had exterior french drainage outside put in for about 2,500. I am surprised outside drainage is more $. Anyway, my husband did not like the idea of water having to "enter" the house before it would be pumped out. He did not want it in at all :2cents:

7. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 27, 2008

I have an interior drainage system called a beaver system-it runs through my sump pumps though.

8. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 28, 2008

Well, we're definitely going with an interior drainage system. I got two quotes on an exterior one (7.5 feet down into the ground) and one was for 11,000 and the other for 9,000. Sigh. The interior one will cost us close to 3,000. The outside has a very finite warranty. The interior has a lifetime warranty.

9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2008

Before we bought our house it had flooded badly, water just came up from the concrete floor. After the house was repossesed the bank did extensive repairs. They put in an interior drainage system. First the floor was so low that the basement had like 10 ft ceilings, so they raised the floor 8 inches, and in between each they put a layer of gravel and some internal drains. We also have sump pumps and as long as it works, things are great.....if they fail, well......