Do you have a treasure box?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Sheila, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Nov 4, 2010

I have not had one in years. I am thinking of starting one again. Any suggestions for items? I used to ask parents to clean out their child's toys and send in fast food meal toys in good condition. What do kids like now? Thanks!

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 4, 2010

Asking the parents is still a good idea. I know the kids around here are excitied about those wrist bands, that are in shapes. You can order some great things at Oriential Trading.

4. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Nov 5, 2010

sillybandz
    bouncey balls
    mini slinky
    stickers
    plastic rings
    plastic necklaces
    cars

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 5, 2010

I get most things from party sections at Walmart, Target, and the Dollar Tree. They love classic toys like tops and slinky, and anything with popular characters (Spiderman, Disney princesses, Toy Story). For some reason, highlighters always go over well, too.

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 6, 2010

I don't have one and never had... I guess I'm a big meanie. :)

7. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Nov 7, 2010

i get stuff from dollar tree, target, or from goodie bags of my own kids lol. I like the treasure box, extra rewards are motivational, I think.

8. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Nov 7, 2010

Hapley, I don't have one either.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, you seem really mean... ;)

I don't really use my treasure box...I haven't bought anything for it this year. I just use it occasionally. For example, on Friday I accidentally ripped a child's project in half when I was taking it off the wall. I felt really bad about it, so I let him pick from my treasure box.

10. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Nov 8, 2010

My kids visit the treasure box if they bring back important papers etc. For classroom behavior, I don't use the treasure box. (I know as a parent that I can't STAND having stupid junky toys in my house, and so I don't bombard these parents with those things.)

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 8, 2010

Rarely use mine but always have one incase. My students LOVE getting stickers and collecting them on their folders so we do that occasionally if we all have a great day.
    The class I had 2 years was one of my most challenging. In order to survive till June I had them earn stars after earning so many they picked something from the box.

12. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Nov 9, 2010

I have always used a treasure box and get stuff at the party section of Walmart, Target, Big Lots, Dollar Tree-but mostly from parents who have these huge collections of Happy Meal toys-which is kinda scary! When you use a treasure box, it can become a great motivator. For returning important papers, good behavior and just a random-"I like the way so and so is working so hard and being so quiet---go get a prize from the prize box". Wow-random really does work.

13. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Nov 10, 2010

I use a treasure box also. It's filled with "junk" basically that the kids LOVE! Every time I clean out my own kids' playroom, I put nice toys in there and also fill it with Oriental Trading pieces, silly bandz, stickers, pencils, etc. Packing up at the end of the day was disastrous. Then I started giving out table points for the first table ready. When the table gets 10 points, they get a treasure. I change seats every month to be fair and they work really hard to get points. Pack up time now is working pretty well. I also give "high five awards" (paper cut outs of hands that I write their name on and what they are receiving the award for) for individuals as a reward.

14. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Nov 10, 2010

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have also found some coupons that I am going to put in there. I went to a neighborhood garage sale and bought many things. It is also amazing what people will give you for free when you say you are a teacher.

15. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Nov 29, 2010

Nope! I guess I'm a meanie too!;) Actually I'm cheap and spend so much money on other things in my classroom! I realize you use them as incentives, which is fine, to each their own... I don't mean for you to take this like I'm degrading your practice or anything (cause that isn't my intention) but I expect kids to behave because it's the right thing to do, not for a reward.

16. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Dec 3, 2010

Actually, I did use it once. Since then I have not had to use it again. I agree with expecting them to behave because it is the right thing to do. Sometimes they just need a little incentive to start them off.