Do you have a routine of what you work on each day (school related)?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by perplexed, Oct 13, 2012.

1. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Oct 13, 2012

So I was having a hard time with time management and getting things done. I have two preps a day for 30-40 minutes, and I am grateful for that, but they do go by fast. By the time I go to the bathroom and do other things, it seems like I don't get anything significant done. The only thing that's helping me is that I have an ongoing to-do list that I continually check things off of--otherwise my head would be spinning. My two preps are 2nd and 4th period, so if I don't get it done, I have no other chance for the day since I teach 5th-9th.

So I came up with a plan so that hopefully I get more done and don't have spend my whole weekends on school stuff.

Mondays-grade, update classroom website, do my PBIS committee things
    Tuesdays-Work on anything assessment related and anything related to parent contact
    Wednesdays-work on things that are due from principals, random things
    Thursdays-plan lessons for my classes for the following week and get copies done
    Fridays-plan lessons for my co-teachers and get their copies done

Does anyone else do something like this where you stick to a strict schedule of what to do? Does it work? Even if I have to do anything at night, that's okay as long as I get my weekends back.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2012

I do! I split up my tasks between days and it really does help me stay on top of things. It gets easier the more years you've taught a similar subject/grade because you have many materials made and organized.

4. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Oct 13, 2012

Wow! You have a ton of prep time! I'm jealous! I get 2.5 hours a week of prep time: a half hour on Monday, an hour on Tuesday, and an hour on Thursday. I do have a couple of tasks that always fall into one of those time blocks, but a lot of it is just doing miscellaneous tasks. On Mondays I work on planning the following week. On Tuesdays I finish up the following week's lesson plans and I always write my class newsletter during my prep. On Thursdays I enter grades from the week. I also always have an ongoing to-do list and check off as many things as I can during my prep periods.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2012

Every day, I have 40 minutes prep plus an hour lunch plus a half hour meeting time before kids in the morning. I don't have a set schedule, but I do keep a clip of 'to be copied' stuff, check mail, and a to do list.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2012

I was thinking about doing something like this, but it seems like something always comes up that has to be done or things are constantly changing. If a parent calls, I can't say, "wait until Thursday, that's my parent contact day." We only have 2 copiers for a huge staff, so I'd feel bad taking a week's worth of copying down there and holding up the line. I don't feel like I actually get much done on my planning period. The only things I make sure I do daily are organize myself for my lessons for the day (I have planning first), make my copies, put my learning objectives on the board, and answer e-mails. All planning, grading, bulletin boards, etc. is done before/after school or weekends. I would also like to cut down on the amount of work I'm doing on weekends and at night on weekdays.

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2012

I do:
    Mondays ~ 40 minute prep ~ newsletter and parent calls
    Tuesdays ~ 35 minute prep ~ Grade 2 Team meeting
    Wedesday ~ 75 minue prep ~ RTI paperwork, enter probe data
    Thursday ~ 75 minute prep ~ Lesson plans and copying (most of my copying gets sent to the printer from my computer as I write the lesson plan)
    Friday ~ 25 minute prep ~ Clean, dust, file, put things away (I have also have students help with this)

Papers typically get graded and entered into the computer as we work.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 13, 2012

If I had as much prep time, I might have time to come up with a schedule!

This year I had a mom come to me, out of the blue, and offer to make copies, laminate, etc, one day a week! I am thrilled and trying to get very organized so I can have her do as much as possible during that time.

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2012

This thread has motivated me to use my preps more efficiently. I am one of the lucky ones who has seven 45 min preps per week. Although I have been good about getting all my work done during the week at school, I feel that I could be spending my preps doing more of the organization and filing parts of this job. My files need major overhauling.

10. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Oct 13, 2012

I don't have a strict schedule for my prep time. It's first thing in the morning, so often I use it to get everything ready for the day (e.g. post warm-up, objectives, HW, set up laptop/LCD projector, copy handouts if I haven't yet, update HW online, etc.) I have a study hall last period, and I use that time to grade papers every day.

11. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Oct 13, 2012

I don't have it all scheduled out but I do have a few things I make sure to accomplish each week.

Monday: Pull out all copies for copy lady (that I want done by Friday for the following week).

Wednesday: Newsletter for the upcoming week (this takes 15 minutes tops)

Thursday: Weekly progress notes to put in Friday folder (this is checklist format...I only have to write detailed notes on a handful).

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2012

I don't have a set routine. If I have quizzes or tests to grade, they get done during my prep, my lunch (after I eat) and my study hall. (My on call period is1st, so I'm almost always caught up by then)

Planning tends to get done over the weekends.

13. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Oct 14, 2012

This is probably not of any help, but I like to have students get hw daily. So the best schedule I personally have ever had is a block schedule with daily classes so students finish the class in one semester. The main advantages for me personally were that I had half as many papers to enter into the computer, and there was half as much total passing time between classes. I was able to cover more than twice as much in one block and I had half as much to do during my prep.

14. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 14, 2012

I have always had a schedule in the past. I have been a little slower to implement it this year because it feels like my work load as increased substantially.

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 14, 2012

I don't get anything done during my prep either. I pretty much have time to use the restroom, and eat lunch before the kids come in during lunch for lunchtime help.

I make all my copies before school starts, and I do all my planning and grading after school.

I tried to create a routine, and I haven't been sticking to it because new things keep coming up, so I'm just barely getting by. >____<