Do you have a really great vocab review activity?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

My level 2 students have asked to review vocabulary tomorrow. Originally I had this activity planned for next week, but hey, if they're going to ask for it, we can go ahead and do it. They learned about 500 words last year, so there's a lot to cover. Do you have any really great, entertaining, and/or interesting review activities for vocabulary? In the past I've done a sort of bingo-style game, but honestly I'm bored with it. I was thinking of a matching kind of game, sort of like I Have, Who Has? but I don't really have the time to prep for that (since I wasn't planning on doing this review until next week). Any suggestions for me?

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2012

I have one... but if only works if you can project somehow.

Draw/create a brick wall on a piece of paper/document. Write review words inside of the bricks.

On sheets of paper, type up a list of the review words that matches the words in the bricks. You need sheets for half of the class.

In class, project the Brick Wall of Review. Have students sit in pairs, one directly facing the projection, one directly facing the opposite wall ( but sitting in front of each other).

The person facing the wall has the cheat sheet. The person facing the projection has to get their partner to guess which word they are looking at without saying "It sounds like, it starts with, it is." Time them... give them about 1.5 minutes, then make them switch places. You can have them switch places as many times as you want, depending on the number of words. For foreign language, you could probably make them give clues in Latin, as well.

May I suggest Jackson 5's "ABC" as background music? It keeps the pace up :)

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2012

What about the flyswatter game? Get a couple fly swatters or something of the like. Write the words on the board in English and read them out in Latin (or vice versa). Have two or more teams, and teams take turns sending someone to the board. Read out a word and they have to be the first one to hit it with the fly swatter and their team gets a point. Here is a video that some students took that they probably shouldn't have and the kids are mostly goofing off in the beginning, but I think it gives you the idea if you have never heard of this game. Actually the video might help you think of some ground rules. lol

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 28, 2012

My students really liked playing Password, kinda like chebrutta's idea. Two students, one with his back to the board, one facing. As a word is projected, the one facing gives clues.

Taboo-project a word, with 2 or 3 words they CAN'T use for clues. Higher level thinking here!

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2012

We do Last Student Standing. I post a list of words and get everyone on their feet, then give the first student a word. If they give an acceptable definition, they stay standing and pick the word for the next student. If they miss, they sit and the next student in the row has a try. I play for a limited time and keep the pace moving quickly, and when the buzzer goes off everyone still standing gets one extra point on the next test.