Do you have a Myspace page?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Caesar753, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 4, 2007

Ooo! I like that song too! I really need to update my page. I added some more pics like a month ago, but I think my page needs a change. I'm almost inspired enough to change it from looking at everyone's cute layouts....

2. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2007

I posted some new pics, but they are just random- all over the place..... I guess I found a new hobby. ;)

3. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 4, 2007

i do have a question....this may stir controversy though...what are your thoughts on adding students as your friends on myspace? I think I have seen this before but am not sure(topics on myspace and teachers that is). I don't have to worry about it though(hopefully) since I teach 6 and 7 year olds...

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 4, 2007

I only have close friends of family on mine- but I did teach one of their sons. They all have a page. They know me extremely well, though, and I don't post anything on there that isn't appropriate for any eyes to see. However, nobody should be adding a bunch of students unless the page is intended for them. I wouldn't be doing that, anyway.

5. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 4, 2007

I don't really have to worry, since I'll be teaching 5th graders. However, if I taught older kids, I wouldn't be comfortable having them as my "friends" on MySpace. My page has pics of me at parties and drinking. Plus, some of my friends leave comments that kids don't necessarily need to read.

One of the other posters (can't remember who...ImaTeacher, maybe?) said they had a page specifically for students to see. I think that's a good idea. I wouldn't want to mix my personal life with my students. It just doesn't sound like the best idea to me...but, hey, that's just my opinion. :)

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2007

I have to agree. I wouldn't want my students on my page. Not because of anything other than establishing boundaries.

7. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 5, 2007

I have a few former students on my page, but I would never put a current student of any age on mine. My college students ask me all the time, but I think it's inappropriate while they are in my classroom.

8. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

I've had myspace since friendster was cool (anyone remember friendster?). Anyways, the one thing I don't like about myspace now is the premade layouts that people copy and paste but don't know how to tweak it to make it actually look good OR they go crazy with the HTML and put way too much stuff on their profile. Maybe Im just a computer nerd?
    Anyways.. if anyone wants to add me feel free to send me a PM =o)

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 5, 2007

I have a page specifically for *my* students... they are the reason I got a myspace to begin with. I don't have anything too personal on there--a couple of pictures of my daughter and DH, that's it. I certainly wouldn't post any pictures of me engaging in unprofessional behavior (not that drinking in and of itself is unprofessional--just unprofessional to broadcast it to my teenage students).

I also have it set to private so that strange people can't come lurking around my pages and see my teenage girls. :( Besides my personal family, I try to limit my friends to students and parents (yep, I have a few of those), although a have 2 or 3 of you guys as "friends" and a couple of my Weight Watchers buddies. I don't just add random people who request it.

Finally, I have it set so that I have to approve comments so that if one of my adult friends were to forget who I am and post something offensive, it would never make it to the page.

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2007

Now, that I have some of you as my space friends... It gets confusing- becaue I expect to see your Ato Z name( that's how I remember you all..:eek: :eek:

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2007

Then I guess you wouldn't like my page:eek: :eek: I need help tweaking, but haven't had enough time to really do the page the right way. :eek:

12. Rivindei

Rivindei Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

I also have myspace! Send me a pm and I'll send you the link!

13. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2007

I have a myspace too! I would be friends with anyone from this site!
    I know in some places around here teachers have gotten "in trouble" for having a myspace...usually high school teachers, but one of my friends teaches kinder and had to get rid of hers due to district policy...they must have been having trouble with other people. Has anyone else heard of this?!

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 5, 2007

Yes, I have two sites. One is for my adult friends and one is for students. With that said, I have a few former students on my adult site . . . but they're all in their 20's/30's and I know them outside of the classroom setting.

(Wow . . . saying that I have students in their 30's makes me feel old. I started out teaching 12th graders when I was 22, so there isn't that much age difference between me and my first students. I'll not mention that one of my 7th graders has been teaching with me for two years. :sigh: )

15. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

If you need any help, let me know! I like tweaking myspace pages =o)
    It really is a matter of being able to read HTML and adding/deleting things from it.

16. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 5, 2007

I have a myspace too! :)

17. Ms. Mar Mar

Ms. Mar Mar Guest

Jul 6, 2007

I have a myspace, facebook, and xanga. Teehee...kind of got out of hand with these things. =)

18. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 6, 2007

I have a MySpace.

I also made one for my cat...

19. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 6, 2007

Oooh, I have a myspace as well! If you would like the addy, PM me and I'll get it to ya! :)