do you have a myspace or facebook?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by New3rdTeacher, Nov 9, 2008.

1. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Nov 9, 2008

Do you have one? Do you check it everyday?
    Just wondering if adults are addicted to it as much as young ones

3. stephlynn

stephlynn Rookie

Nov 9, 2008

I have both. I mainly use the MySpace, it can be very addicting. I like being able to leave friends comments/notes and when they get a chance they respond back.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 9, 2008

I have both. I typically check both of mine every day when I check my email, but I don't always stick around and do anything other than check to see if I have any messages. I've gone up to a week without checking either, but that's not all that common.

5. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Nov 9, 2008

I don't have either, and don't really feel as though I am missing anything.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2008

Nope.

And I have no plans to have an account at any point in the future.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 9, 2008

I have facebook and I check it about 3 times a day.

8. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Nov 9, 2008

I have both. I check my myspace daily, and facebook about once a week.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 9, 2008

I got rid of MySpace when I saw how easily my husband was able to hack into my site. I still have a Facebook (private and with no work information on it) and am careful about the pictures I allow on there just in case that is also hackable.

10. msaly

msaly Comrade

Nov 9, 2008

i have both. i check myspace about once a day. I check facebook 2 or 3 times a day. I use facebook to keep in touch with my friends from college, I like it better then myspace.

11. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Nov 9, 2008

I am from a different country so I use my facebook to keep in touch from my family and friends back home. It's great! :)

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 9, 2008

I have a Facebook but don't use it much. I'm not sure I want to keep it active though for fear of anything "questionable" appearing on it. I just started the page this summer and it has been neat hearing from old college friends, but I'm just not sure it's worth the possible risk. So for now it's there but used very little by me.

Anyone else worry about having a Facebook page as a teacher? Is Facebook more secure than Myspace?

13. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Nov 9, 2008

I have a MySpace and I check it almost daily. I have it on private, have a very difficult password, and a picture of my dog as my picture that everyone sees. I am really not worried because even if a parent (or admin.)got on the only thing they would see is pictures of my wedding, dog, and classroom......nothing too scandalous : )

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 9, 2008

Fortunately, when I Google my own name and "Facebook", I come up with a totally other person. The main thing I do is make sure that silly pictures of me with a glass in my hand are not tagged.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 9, 2008

I have both, but I rarely check them. I get an e-mail if someone has left me a message, so that's when I check them.

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 9, 2008

I have both, but I never check them unless someone contacts me. Occasionally I update the facebook (which is newer to me) but I never, ever go on myspace anymore.

17. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Nov 10, 2008

I have Facebook and I check it daily. I got it while I was in college so it is great for keeping up with old college friends.

18. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Nov 10, 2008

I have a myspace and check it everyday. i keep up with a lot of old friends from hs and have several other friends on there that i don't really get to see. my profile is set to private so you cant see anything but a picture of me. my college senior pic. and i have to add you as a friend and you have to know my whole name to even request it and i have to approve any comment that is posted before it will post to my account so i can control what people see. I hate when immature people thing its cool to send a picture of a marajuana plant or something stupid.

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 10, 2008

I don't have either, and after hearing how easily Myspace can be hacked, I'm not sure I want a page. A friend has been trying to get me on Facebook, but I don't know. I don't really see any benefit at this point, but maybe in the future. All those stories about potential employers looking me up and finding reasons not to hire me are a bit daunting.

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 10, 2008

My trick to putting up anything on Facebook is whether I'd mind my 86 year old grandfather or my current boss seeing it. My Halloween pirate costume was very cool, but a shot of me in a corset may be a little too much for Gramps to handle. I'm well over 21, but my boss would probably be a little flustered at a pic of me tossing backs shots of questionably colored liquid.

21. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 10, 2008

I used to have a MySpace, but after learning that the majority of businesses won't hire people with MySpace, I got rid of it. My college students are advised, by the college board AND the community business board, to go with FaceBook, and to be sensible about any information or pictures. People have lost jobs, or not gotten a job, because they were stupid online. I do still have my FaceBook, but there is nothing silly on it. For business, I stick with Linkedin, BlogHer, StumbleUpon, Twitter, Digg, Etsy, and De.Li.cious.

Our students are advised to get rid of their MySpace completely, as it is associated with younger people and teens, and is connotatively inappropriate. A sensible FaceBook, however, is fine.

22. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 10, 2008

I have a myspace and a Facebook. Nothing bad as come of it. Their are not bad or scandalist things on it because I do not get into that type of thing. Everything on there I would be willing for a boss to see if need be. I applied for a job @ a local Lifeway Christian book store and on the application it asked for our facebook or myspace webaddresses if we had them.

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 10, 2008

Ooo, I'd NEVER give away my web pages for anything on a job application unless it was something directly related to my career.

Oh, this isn't on the list, but I do have a LiveJournal, which I love because I can lock specific entries to my friends or just myself while allowing other entries to be read by anyone who stumbles across it.

24. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 10, 2008

I have a facebook. I end up playing games on there more than anything or playing around with goofy applications.

25. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Nov 10, 2008

I have both. The Myspace I only use to keep an eye on my teens Myspace pages, so I do not have anything on there other than them.

I have a Facebook that I use more often; we are currently planning my HS reunion and we have a class page and it is how the committee members stay in touch. I am not addicted to it like some people I know, though.

26. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 10, 2008

It was part of getting the job! So your saying you would not put that on your application and rick them finding you and thinking you have something to hide?

27. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 10, 2008

So, Myspace is really the one to worry about? I don't have one and don't plan to get one. I just worry about someone writing something on my Facebook wall that I don't necessarily think should be there. Can I delete a comment made by someone on my wall once it's on there? Or is it more a matter of my Facebook page being totally invisible to anyone I have not accepted as a friend?

28. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 10, 2008

I kept a facebook for about a month ... I didn't post pictures or anything. I made contact with a couple of people from college ... it didn't interest me, I deleted my account.

29. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 10, 2008

It's private, it isn't for people other than my friends to see and if my getting a job I REALLY wanted depended on it, I'd get rid of it.

30. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 10, 2008

I find that interesting because FaceBook was originally only for college students. My MySpace doesn't have anything "silly" on it either. Those darned applications on FaceBook are pretty goofy. I hate when people use those.

Any of those sites can be used inappropriately.

31. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 10, 2008

You don't have to tell a prospective or current employer about your social networking; it's Googled. And locked down or not, it can be accessed by anyone who knows how.

32. westcoastbetsy

westcoastbetsy New Member

Nov 10, 2008

I have both and check them daily. Since I recently relocated from the east coast to the west coast, it is great to keep in touch with family and friends with updates and photos. My mom is on facebook too and she is 67!

33. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 10, 2008

Myspace and Facebook are what you make them. You make them decent... then they are fine. You make them raunchy, then you are asking for trouble. My cousins' have foul language on there that I'm sure their parent's would have a fit over but one is in college and one is a senior... so what do you do about it?

34. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 10, 2008

agreed, but if you are not a raunchy type person your myspace/facebook will not be either. Like I have said about the job factor if you have nothing to hide then it is not a problem.

35. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Nov 10, 2008

My recent finding on facebook is that even if your actually profile and pictures are decent, most users can access your friends albums if you are "tagged" in them. I don't want to put out the wrong idea of myself, but i cant control what my friends post. I do the best i can to stay out of the embarrassing pics but, sometimes they are a surprise. I am debating deleting mine...:/

36. Ross

Ross Comrade

Nov 10, 2008

I do not have either of them.

Recently someone showed a bunch us how easily it was to get into either of those two sites. Everything that was posted on there was available for public viewing.

Part of the problem was pictures taken of people who did not know they were being photographed.

I have warned my children repeatedly to stay away from the darn things. But if they have have an account, to please be wise in what they post.

As been suggested here on this site, employers might be looking and asking. For those in the job market, it is worth the risk?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  37. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 11, 2008

If you are not a ranchy person why would your friends be? Just an observation! We are adults and its called choosing you friends wisely!

38. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2008

I have both. I like them for keeping up with friends, and especially for keeping up with old students.

39. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 11, 2008

I was thinking the same thing. My friends are just as old & dull as I am. :lol:

40. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Nov 11, 2008

I have both but pretty soon I will delete my myspace cause it serves no purpose.

41. iteachbadkids

iteachbadkids Rookie

Nov 12, 2008

My wife actually has both (technically so do I, but I don't check them) and she actually has 2 myspaces. One is the one for her friends that she keeps locked so that students that could come across it can't get into it. This is not because she has anything bad, but some of her friends might and she doesn't want to connect the two in any way. The other is for her students to find and keep in touch with her. This is a cool way for the kids to share stuff that's been going on in their lives and for their teacher to help whenever they can.