Do you have a method for turning in work?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TennisPlayer, Sep 12, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 12, 2008

This is my first class so I'm trying to still figure out my style and be efficient!

Right now I have my 3rd graders turning in their work in a tray but I can see that it's just one big stack right now.

Do you organize your papers a certain way to help you out with grading? I'm thinking having students put their work in either folders by their name or folders by subjects.

Please share your good ideas!:)

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2008

They pass them up so I am sure the get them all and they are all together.

4. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 12, 2008

I have trays by class periods. As they come into the room they place their papers in their tray. As i walk around the room helping students I will take a set out and paper clip it. I then grade them and have the students pass them out the next day. I also give everything back except tests and I file those. Everything else the kids keep. :)

If they complete something in class they pass it forward and i paper clip it and place it in their tray.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 12, 2008

I have a red basket that EVERYTHING goes into. No more 'You must have lost it!'. If it's in the red basket, I get it. I've used it for four years, and I don't know what I'd do without it. If a child comes up to me with any paper of any kind, I sing 'Red basket!'.

Now this doesn't help at all with your pile, because I certainly have to sort through it. But I try to do that each evening, putting each type of paper in a different pile, and then paper clipping them. I grade all my papers on the weekend, so I just stack the paper-clipped groups on my front table and stuff them in my bag on Friday. It works great. I put the paperclip on them when I'm done grading and put them in the 'pass back' box for the postal worker student on Monday.

Anyhow, I love my red basket.

6. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Sep 12, 2008

I usually had homework turned in at the door by subjects. I had those stackable trays with math, spelling, and writing. Then when they did classwork or had anything else they put it in my basket on the desk. Never had any problems with it!

7. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 12, 2008

Oh yah forgot. If I come across the no names. They are told they will get Zeros. Eventually when I place the grades in the grade book and the computer I go to that child and tell them they can have the zero or redo the work. I hate no name papers. It has gotton better I take them in front of the class and tear them up and place them in the trash. Lets just say I don't have no name papers anymore :)

8. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Sep 12, 2008

I have 2 small 4 draw containers. I label each draw with a color and subject: (Red: Reading, Spelling, Grammar, Blue: Math, Orange: S.S., Green: Science, Yellow: Other). I love it. I can just take home one subject each night to grade and not have to sift through the papers.

I assign each child a number for the year (ABC order by last name). I always tell them to put their name and number on every single paper.

9. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 12, 2008

I do two things:
    Homework goes in a white basket. Along the basket are clothespins. They clothespin their homework together, so I can quickly see who has/hasn't done their home. So I know who comes in at recss.

Papers that are graded, I have a large pocket chart that has 27 pockets (paper size) and the kids put their work in their pocket. I just make sure I clean them out after they turn in another assignment. I like it b/c they are then in alphabetical order.

I like this system a lot, and it's taken some practice, especially cleaning out the pockets right away, but that's what works for me.

I have a red tray on my desk for notes from home, etc.

10. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Sep 13, 2008

I have bins I use:
    Homework Folders
    Tuesday Folders
    Math
    Reading
    Other-notes for me
    Science/Social Studies

I usually have the kids hold up the papers, paper collects collect them (make them all face the right way and paper clip), then put in the right bin.

I'm in a trailer, so if I let them get up when they finish something and put it in the bin on their own it get so noisy because sounds really echos in there.

11. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

Doesn't it take you forever to grade everything on the weekend? I try to grade everything that night. Also, this way I can see if anyone has not turned in a paper or if they are having a problem understanding the material.

I use four trays - Math, Lang. Arts, Science, Handwriting - Still have to sort out papers like reading, spelling, grammar, etc.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 13, 2008

I have 4 sections--- sometimes I see all 4 in a day, sometimes only 2 or 3. Each section has a color (orange, blue, red/pink, and green) and I have colored sticky tabs that I can color code anything I need to distinguish section supplies.

Each of my sections has a homework tray. I HATE HATE HATE when students rush up to me and hand me a ton of papers. I refuse to take it from them and I just point to the homework tray.

Also, *side note* my homeroom has this bad habit of thinking it's science class when it's only homeroom and they try to give me homework or talk to me about today's lesson. I have to remind them it's only homeroom often lol

Student supplies are located on a counter space, in one draw, and in a cabinet--- all labeled saying "Student Supplies" and so they don't have to ask me for anything. I just point to the area if they forget. This can actually help you out alot instead of having 10 kids ask for a pencil all at the same time. (Just point them over to the pencil cup and remind them at the end of class to return pencils. Btw, I also go around the room and collect any dropped or left pencils and add them into the cup--- sorta like "Take a pencil, leave a pencil" so I've never run out of pencils yet.)

I also keep folders that are color coded for each section and I have a turning desk thingy that has 4 sides. So each class get's their own side. One folder I collect their hw--- one side for papers to grade, the other to hand back out. The second folder is the absent folder: if a student is absent, they don't have to ask their neighbor or me if they have work, they just look into that folder.

Ideally this should work great for me-- but I'm still learning how to balance everything. So alot of times I forget to do certain things--- like absent folders. I really should remember to copy's someone's notes and keep a copy for the kids who missed class. I should even probably pick 2 people in each section to be note takers... but as a new teacher, I'm still learning.

Lots of ideas up in my head, so little time to realize them and utilize them :)

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 13, 2008

I have a basket they put FINISHED work into, that way it can be checked. They have a file where unfinished work goes. If they are not done, they give it to ME and I file it! Then, when we have a time to finish work, they do it at that time.

It's much easier for me to have one basket. I can check the work at pass it out. This year I started passing back work daily, and it goes right home. This keeps the parents connected to what we are doing. Anything very important will be kept and put in their portfolio or hung on the wall.

14. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

I was doing trays that the students turn their homework in at the beginning of the day, but I was having a hard time tracking who was turning it in because of all the no names. It worked in 5th, but for some reason it's just not working this year in 4th. So, I do morning check-in where they come to me with their homework & assignment books. I check off their homework on my list and if they don't turn it in, I highlight it on my checklist, then immediately write it in their assignment books. I didn't want to do check-in because I thought it would take up too much time in the morning, but it actually has been working out ok. When the students have classwork assignments, I still have them turn it in to the trays.

15. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 13, 2008

I used to have an in/out box for each class, but that just wasted time as I had to remove assignments from the in-box into my folder to take home. Now I have two folders for each class "Papers to be returned" and "Papers to be graded." I always keep my folders in my brief case, always. This way I will never forget to take papers home that need to be graded.

In regards to the actual collecting of the assignments, I have a student helper handle all assignment collections. He/she walks around at the beginning of each class and collects all assignments due that day (classwork is due the day after from which it was assigned, in case of late finishers.). Even students who have not completed the assignment are required to turn in a note saying why they didn't turn the assignment in. The student helper then seperates each assignment into piles, alphateizes them (each paper has the student # on them), clips them together, and puts a stick note on the stack.The stick note contains the assignment name, date collected, point value, and most importantly the #'s of all students who failed to turn the assignment in. Most importantly the helper then hands the stacks to me which I put in that class' folder IMMEDIATELY and then return the folder to my briefcase.

16. donnaleecam

donnaleecam Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

clothespins

I have a line under the board with a clothespin and number on each.(I assign numbers) They can put work on their "hook", so I can glance to see if it is there. Otherwise, they'll say it is complete and not. Though, no guarantees that the pages(s) are complete!! This has worked well, I take up tests, etc., and put in number order so I can see if anything is missing. With a hectic schedule, it helps a bit.

17. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Sep 14, 2008

I color-coded all subject areas. As students hand in their work, they locate the correctly-colored folder with the same assignment in it. Then, they place their paper in in "number order". (All students are "numbered" based upon their last names.) I collect all "homework worksheets" in the morning after the 2nd/tardy bell goes off. I glance quickly over the numbers to determine who has a late/missing paper and ask the students for them. Of course, once I get those errant papers, they are stamped with a big red LATE WORK on them so I can note that in my grade book.

18. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Sep 15, 2008

I used to use one big tray but if I ever got behind in grading a day or two it was overwhelming. I do however REALLY like the clothes pin idea! I might use that for special projects.

I have the kids turn their work in hanging files. I pull out every student's work out one at a time. I grade it, record any scores that need to be recorded and put it back into the file. I usually grade this work every day but if I get behind it seems less overwhelming this way to catch up. No one has to pass out the graded work and I don't feel as overwhelmed grading. I get bored grading the same work sheet over and over again. (I teach first and all of the work is very simple.)

I check homework in and immediately grade it by individual. It only takes me about 10 minutes to grade the entire class's homework. I show them their homework graph and discuss what their effort grade will be for the week. The students add their homework into their file after I grade it. At the end of the week I staple all of their homework and center work and add an effort grade.

I collect tests and other big projects by class number. I make sure that I grade these the very same day and record the grades.

19. strepsils

strepsils Companion

Sep 15, 2008

I have two rather simple systems.

Daily: I have an in tray and out tray. However, I found the in tray got to be a bit overwhelming and I do a lot of marking then and there now. This term I managed to stay on top of the marking this way.

Big Projects: the students have 5-6 activities that had to finish before I left to have an op. I had a list with their names, and columns for each project. They had to tick when they had finished and put project in the in tray. All kids finished by the due date and got to complete the art project!!

20. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 15, 2008

managing homework/grading homework/no names

My students turn in homework into labeled (by subject) trays first thing in the morning. I also use a name/number system to identify work. I count the papers to make sure there are 24, checking for names on each, then clip them together. If there aren't 24 or if there are no names (grrrrr!:|) I sort them numerically - or better yet, I have my "teacher's helper" do it.

I try to go through all homework papers during recess in the morning or at lunch. I like to get them back quickly. It their work isn't up to standard, the papers go into my FIX file and the students work on correcting these during a 15-20 minute period prior to lunch (3 x per week). :crosseyed

I don't take any grades on homework. :soapbox: I don't know for sure who is completing it, plus in our district homework is primarily for practice - not assessment.

A note on No Name papers: once the no name thing becomes a problem, I keep the most recent No Namers in at recess to sort through the papers to determine which number is missing. Believe me, once they miss a couple of recesses, they begin to remember to put on their name/number. Once a student has more than 3 no name papers in a quarter, I require him/her to write a paragraph detailing why it is so important to put his/her name on each page. They write a main idea sentence, and one detail sentence for each no name paper thus far in the quarter. They stamp it sign/return and bring it back. I have found this to be more effective than simply writing their name 50 times. They get quite creative in giving reasons for remembering their names...:unsure: