Do you have a Mail System?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by TeachGrd1, Jun 15, 2005.

1. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jun 15, 2005

I am trying to figure out how I am going to handle the filing system for my new first grade classroom. Does anyone do anything special? I want the wooden mail centers, but they are ridiculously expensive! I was thinking maybe a filing system where each child has a file folder and then I would pass out their work at the end of the day. Does anyone do anything else for sending home paperwork and graded work?

3. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Jun 15, 2005

The class that I did my student teaching in used folders. The folders were laminated with the child's name on the front. One pocket was labeled "Return to School", and the other pocket was labeled "Keep at Home". At the end of the day, we would pass out their folders and their papers. They would put them in the correct pocket and take them home. We took them up first thing the next morning. It was an easy way for us to see who did their homework and if there were any notes from parents. I have subbed in a classroom that used folders, but they also had a mailbox system using small cubbyholes. The students were responsible for putting their papers in their cubbie and putting them in their folder at the end of the day.

4. Michelleh

Michelleh Guest

Jun 15, 2005

I assign each student a number. I take all graded papers up by their number. Each student has a folder and all the papers are in order. This is a lot easier to file when they are in order. As far as the work that they do in class, I would send it home daily. I read one time to take a folder and let the students draw their left hand on one side and draw their right hand on the other. Teach them to put the papers to be left at home on the left side or the papers to bring right back on the right side.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 15, 2005

I file graded work in files in my desk drawer by student's first name. Work goes home with newsletter every Friday. Homework gets turned in to a basket each day. They write assignments in a daily assignment book, I sign it, parents can write notes in it to me.

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 16, 2005

Our first grade classes use cardboard mailboxes. I think they got them from www.reallygoodstuff.com a few years ago. They are sturdy and each child has their own little cubby hole. The teachers have a student that puts the notices and homework in.

7. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jun 16, 2005

You can also use vertical magazine holders. The cardboard ones are very inexpensive. We actually had a retail store donate a huge amount to us, so they didn't cost us anything.

8. ~Darlene~

~Darlene~ Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

I bought a mail system from Sam's club. It was around $20 for it and I've used it every year that I've taught so far.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 17, 2005

I bought an accordian file & then I sorted papers into that. It made it very easy to stuff Friday Folders. Putting papers in order, by name or number helps alot. You can easily see who is missing something! I've seen teachers use a milk crate & hanging file folders, with a student filing papers.