Do you have a landline?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dgpiaffeteach, Jun 13, 2014.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 13, 2014

I do, and it's hooked up to an answering machine - which, in my opinion, is far superior to caller ID in helping one figure out whether or not to pick up.

2. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 13, 2014

It's funny you mentioned answering machines because a few nights ago our landline rang (99.999% it's telemarketers) and somehow the external answering machine option kicked in on our phone and it scared the CRAP out of me. I was in the backroom watching t.v. and one minute the phone's ringing, then suddenly i hear a muffled voice (the robotic "no one's home, please leave a message") then a man's loud voice is filling the apartment.

DH was startled too because we're both so used having internal answering machine's that we forgot what an external one sounds like. We immediately put it back on internal after that.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 13, 2014

We had a bad hurricane several years ago-electricity was literally out for weeks so we couldn't charge cells except in our cars-but the landlines worked. I also like that they can trace a 911 call from it and can't from a cell. So I still have one. Rarely answer it because it's not a number I give out.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 13, 2014

I can't get reliable cell service at my house. I have a landline.

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2014

We have a landline for my husbands business, but it is forwarded to his cellphone. When we moved we wanted a phone number for ths locals to call. We don't use it for anything but this.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 13, 2014

I haven't had a landline for years. I did have one for a while when I lived in North Dakota, but only because it was cheaper to have phone/internet/cable bundled than to have just internet and cable. I didn't have an actual phone hooked up to it though.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2014

I still have one because of the fax machine.

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2014

We have a landline ....... My wife and I both also have cells of course.... I seldom "answer" the phone...... normally use it as "outgoing" only ......... Phones in general are a pain in the butt.... ((Just one guy's opinion)...:p

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 13, 2014

I've never had one. It seems like a waste of money since everyone has cell phones, unless you live in a really rural area where they don't work as well I guess. My parents still have theirs and it's so silly because they both have cell phones with unlimited minutes that they literally use to make a 2 minute phone call maybe once a month. Cell reception in their area is fine, and they get 5-10 telemarketing calls daily on the land line (even though they're on the do not call list). But they will not get rid of the landline because that's what they've always used for calls and there is no reason to change :rolleyes:. They literally still have the kind attached to the wall with the cord too:lol:.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 14, 2014

Yeah, my mom's required to have one for work - they need to be able to reliably fax warrants to her so she can fill them out along with whatever paperwork they need filled out (commitments, releases, etc.)

The town refuses to pay for the phone line, though.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 14, 2014

I don't. I live by myself and don't want to pay for both services.

12. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 14, 2014

I never have. My parents did when I lived at home, but as soon as I moved out (like 14 years ago), i got a cell phone and have used that as my main phone ever since.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 14, 2014

We haven't had one for years.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 14, 2014

The closest I have to a landline is my school office phone, and that's through my Cisco router.

15. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2014

We have had the same land line for over 37 years...
    -I only give my cell phone number to friends or family. I don't want a million calls during the day.
    -I really don't have a close relationship with my cell phone, like some people do.
    -It is the number old friends, etc. have.
    -The land line works better during emergencies.
    -Maybe I am just old fashioned, but I don't feel the need to be in touch 24/7.