Do you have a landline?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dgpiaffeteach, Jun 13, 2014.

1. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 15, 2014

It's common practice in most towns in NJ for them to pay for fax machines & the cost of landlines for officials who require the use of one, police chiefs, judges, court administrators, deputy court administrators, etc.

2. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 15, 2014

Oh yes, it comes with voicemail and call display. So far, we've avoided the telemarketers.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 15, 2014

Then I can the injustice in bros' mom not getting the same service.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

Services in most towns in NJ are being cut. Fewer garbage pick ups per week, less leaf pick up in the fall, no street sweeping..and in my area, shared police and other emergency services. I'd rather pay for quicker emergency service than fax and phone for town administrators. :2cents:

5. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 16, 2014

My mom'd be happy with even like a $10 a month boost to her pay to pay for the phone line for the fax - since we already had a fax machine in our printer. But the town is rather stingy and would rather give the one full time dispatcher in the town a $5,000 a year uniform budget. Which she can use to buy clothes at any store. It's rather silly.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2014

Isn't it funny how it differs from place to place? During the '04 hurricanes, our landline was out for weeks. During Wilma, I lost the landline but never lost cell service. I remember talking to my brother at the height of the storm, on the cell phone.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 16, 2014

We cancelled our landline when we canceled our cable. We ended up getting the Magic Jack so we can still have a "phone" plus use the fax machine. We don't really give out that phone number but it comes in handy every so often. We were just getting tired of paying so much for something we hardly used. If we had not cancelled cable then we'd probably still have the landline since it was a package deal.