Do you have a fridge in your room?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Aug 21, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2010

If yes, what kind? I need to buy one TODAY!!!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2010

You should be able to get a mini fridge on sale easily as they are a 'must have' for college students. My son got a great one at a good price at Target last year at this time. Brand name doesn't matter much- if they can stand up to college student abuse, they can stand up to teacher use!!:D

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2010

Many schools do not allow teachers to have a compact fridge in their classrooms because of the energy costs to operate the appliance which can be a few dollars each month. So both for environmental reasons and due to troubling budgets, schools are frowing upon these little room additions.

If your school does allow it, might you consider sharing one?

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 21, 2010

No, we aren't allowed to have them in our rooms because it runs their electricity bill up. We also aren't allowed to have microwaves because a teacher burned popcorn in hers and our principal is afraid we will burn the school down (rolling eyes)

6. ekk5968

ekk5968 Rookie

Aug 21, 2010

Yup and a microwave!

7. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 21, 2010

I have a fridge and a microwave. I only plug in the microwave when I use it. Last year my district tried charging teachers ($40 for the fridge, and $10 for the microwave) but apparently it was too difficult to enforce so they aren't doing it this year.

Any kind that is on sale for college should be fine. I have a pretty small one, I don'y think they really come smaller. I fit a quart of milk, mustard, jelly, lunch meat, fruit, cottage cheese, and yogurt in there.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 21, 2010

I have a small fridge in my room. It was around $35 at WalMart. I like it because there is no freezer section. (It never worked in my old one.) I can keep almost a whole case of water in it. Plus the door will hold a 2 liter Diet Dr Pepper.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2010

I've had a fridge and microwave in my room for the last 12 years. I brought my microwave home this year since I didn't really use it all that often. The rumor mill says that we are going to have to get rid of them, but I'm leaving it until I get official word. It's too heavy to take out for no reason. Plus, we don't have a lounge of any kind, so we don't have a place to keep anything.

10. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 21, 2010

I've heard rumors that it's not allowed in our district, but it's certainly not enforced. I don't have need/room for a fridge, but I do have a microwave. I would understand if the district said it was too pricey for everyone to have on in their rooms, but I'd also be willing to pay $10 a year to keep it in my room. I can't stand our tiny teachers lounge during lunch time. The smell of school-bought lunches mixed with everything people heat up from home ruins my appetite.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 21, 2010

Used to have a fridge and microwave my first year teaching, but the district made us get rid of 'em a few years ago!

12. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 21, 2010

We are not allowed to have a mini fridge or a microwave in our classrooms. :(

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 21, 2010

Mine stopped allowing one and frankly I'm considering just ignoring it and putting it under my desk. Lol. Nah, I don't have that much guts.

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 21, 2010

We are not allowed to have them...We have 3 refrigerators and 5 microwaves in our staff lounge, so I don't really have a need for them anyway.

15. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2010

I just bought an electric cooler and an adapter. It's smaller than a mini fridge and can easily fit in one of my cabinets if I'm not using it.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2010

In our portable, we have a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, full size copy machine, laser printer, space heater for winter, fan for hot weather...and room left over for a few kids...!

17. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 21, 2010

I refuse to use the fridge/microwave in the lounge because apparently I work with the biggest slobs on the planet. Food is spoiled and growing things in the fridge and no one throws it out. If you do, you get yelled at. They allow their food to spill over in the microwave and don't clean it up, so it smells so gross and is a colorful smear of ick. I would pay for it again this year if they wanted me to, but I cannot use the lounge appliances.

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 21, 2010

No one has disallowed them thus far in my district. I have both a microwave and a fridge - and an electric kettle for tea in the winter! As a diabetic, even if most people were not allowed a fridge, I would be, because of medication (and no, I refuse to keep my personal meds in the teachers' lounge fridge!) and juice (in case of sugar "dump"). Mine does have a freezer, and it makes it nice, because I can keep ice for my iced tea (most of the year), and give my kiddos "freeze pops" as a special treat on hot afternoons!

19. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 21, 2010

I have a small fridge, microwave, and coffee maker in my room

My fridge maybe comes up to my knees (I"m 5'4) so its small, but can hold my drinks and lunch if need be. I use my microwave almost every day. We have a lounge, but its not much bigger than a closet and only has a pop machine. Many of us have all or some of the above items in our rooms. I'd pay for it...

20. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 21, 2010

The district made us remove them several years ago even though I have seen some with them still. I have a lunch pack that I got from Wal-Mart that is great but I am interested in the electric cooler idea. Where did you get it, cheeryteacher?

21. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

Aug 21, 2010

We are allowed to have both, and I have both. Partially because our school is so large, and only has two "lounges." One doesn't even have a table you could eat at, and the other could only seat about 5. I love having mine...makes preparing lunches so much easier, and popcorn parties are easier too!

22. Drama Teach

Drama Teach Rookie

Aug 21, 2010

I have a small mini fridge, several teachers have them, we just have to take them out when the fire marshall comes.

23. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2010

I got it from Cabela's. It's for camping and the plug fits into the cigarette lighter in the car. I just found a cheap converter plug on Amazon and I'm good to go.

24. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2010

I had to take mine out, so I put it in the teacher's lounge for additional refrigeration. I was told by the prince that it was against board policy. It had been donated to me anyway, so I didn't feel bad about losing any money, and I didn't feel like arguing the point.

And where do you think I saw it by the end of the year? In the school secretary's office! Hmmmm.... Why did I have to take it out? Apparently it is no longer against board policy????

I may go get another one tomorrow and camouflage it.

25. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Aug 21, 2010

We can have fridges, but we have to pay the district $150 for the year. I know it's dumb - it wouldn't even cost close to that much to operate for the year. Needless to say, I don't have a fridge in my room. But I do have a microwave. Those are apparently still legal. :)

26. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 21, 2010

$150????? My district charged $40. That is ridiculous.

27. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 22, 2010

Thank you for sharing your idea of the electric cooler, cheeryteacher! We're allowed to have one in our rooms, but it has to be the smallest possible and electric savings, yadda yadda yadda. I don't eat in the breakroom because it's too far from my class (I can clock about 2 miles a day just walking around our school getting stuff prepped...and that's no exaggeration. But I did it on purpose last year to avoid the First Year Teacher 15 pounds...that found me at the end of the school year any ways:lol:).

shouldbeasleep...I can see you camo'ing it with a piece of material and books on top. Instant bookshelf! :D

28. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2010

My old district made us take all that stuff out. We had a big one in the two teachers lounges, as well as microwaves, and it seemed to be enough for anyone who wanted it. Also I know of at least one teacher who was able to keep hers for medical reasons. But after taking the fridges out and campaigning an effort to turn out lights and monitors, etc etc., our school reporting saving $180,000 for the year. I thought that was pretty impressive.

If the school has a fridge and micro, I honestly don't see why people need them in their rooms. My current school has a don't ask, don't tell policy. I I thought about bringing in my old one from college, but there is really no point.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2010

We aren't allowed fridges, microwaves, or coffee makers in our classrooms. I can have a coffeemaker in my Special Ed office, because I don't have students in there on a regular basis. We have 2 full-sized fridges and a huge chest freezer in the staff room, along with 2 microwaves, a toaster, a toaster oven and a stove. The office and the caretakers' office also have fridges and microwaves and, if you are nice to them, you can use them. :p

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2010

That just leaves me speechless.

31. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2010

We have a huge kitchen and can keep things in a "teacher fridge" in there. It's nice. There's also a coffee maker and microwave in there.

The elementary classrooms have mini-fridges in them, but they use them for the kids to keep their water bottles in to keep them cold.

32. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 22, 2010

Our school hasn't made any policy about them yet, but I am on the farthest corner possible from the one small fridge in the work room (we don't have a lounge). It wouldn't be practical for me to try and put my lunch in the work room every day and then try to get someone to cover my class while I go get the lunch. Also, I keep water in there that I drink every day. Until they tell me I have to take it out, mine will stay.

33. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2010

I'm still not finding the ONE that I want. I don't want a freezer, just the fridge. I would like it to be under $100. Going to Costco today...

34. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 22, 2010

I don't know what you teach but a SMALL freezer is actually kinda nice. I use it to put cold packs in and give the students when they have minor "boo-boos" that just need TLC. My team teacher last year had a medical reason for having one and I shared it with her. We also used it for storing drinks from snack. Our students are provided with snacks by the school. We store the leftovers and offer options when we have a stockpile. Drinks are included with that. Sometimes it also comes in handy if we have an outside event, etc. I will miss her fridge this year. I don't think I'm going to chance it.

35. ekk5968

ekk5968 Rookie

Aug 22, 2010

Apparently not!:lol:

36. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 22, 2010

They make little baby fridges that only hold drinks. My husband has one in his classroom, and it will hold a six pack of canned beverages. It has the Coca-cola logo on it, but they probably make them plain, as well. If you didn't know it was a fridge you'd never notice he had on in there!

37. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 22, 2010

I have a small Kenmore in my office. Kids aren't allowed in the office, so they don't have access to it. I think it is about 16 years old as my hubby had it in his barracks room when he was in the USMC. He has been out since 1996. It is just big enough for some drinks, lunch, etc. Comes up to about my knees and is almost square. Pretty much the small dorm size. I am farther away from the workroom than anyone else in the building and I work all summer, so I want my own. Nothing has ever been said about it. Secretary has one behind her desk that the office staff uses and there is a large one in the workroom - but it is always full of drinks for refs.

38. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 22, 2010

I do not have one yet, but I need one. We only have one refrigerator in the school and it is in a student accessible kitchen. I am diabetic and need a place for my insulin. New guidelines make it impossible for any medication to be stored in a student accessible place, so, I need my own fridge in my room. Problem being that I cannot afford anything right now, much less a fridge. So, I am packing ice packs in my lunch box to keep my insulin cold.

39. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 22, 2010

I have a Refrigerator... full size. I'm also at a Montessori school where we do snack which is part of the curriculum that teaches grace and courtesy

40. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2010

I wish I could convince a school that my son's teacher needs a mini-fridge for this reason. They say the fridge in the office/nurse area is good enough for his insulin, and he can keep warm juice boxes in case he goes low. Grump.

41. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 22, 2010

Have you checked with your local Americans With Disabilities authority, mmswm?