Do you have a focus of study during the

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by Pattypoo, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 17, 2006

year? Last year we studied frogs/reptiles in depth and the continent of South America. This year we are going to study dinosaurs/rocks/volcanos and the continent of Africa.

3. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Jul 19, 2006

Hi Patty!
    As it looks as though we are of the few Montessorians on this forum, I thought I would respond to your thread. I am in no way trying to offend you or cause conflict. I would like to discuss an alternative to "topics of study" if you are interested. Per my training (AMI) I learned that anytime an adult directs the child's choice of activities, this is the adult's work. To get a child to his own true work, we must maintain a rich and varied environment, present materials, and stand back to let the child manifest his capabilities of choice, interest and concentration. To this end, we do not identify "topics of study" but do include materials in the environment that reflect a wide diversity of interests. I am wondering if choosing "topics to study" is part of your training and what is the relation of this practice to Montessori's theories? Are all the children presented the topic of study or just for a certain age group? What types of materials do you use to present these topics? Do you do small or large group presentations? If you are "studying" South America, is the child able to choose other contintents for independent work? Just curious.

4. Yenna

Yenna Companion

Jul 19, 2006

Also, how do you decide that the child will be interested in the topic of study? What if the child wants to explore impressionists, mathematicians, geometry, baking or writing?
    Do you set time aside from the work cycle to give these lessons?

To me, this is a fundamental difference in philosophy. I am starting to see that there are changes made when any individual tries to reinterpret Montessori's theories. She writes clearly and eloquently. The best way to understand her is to read her own words, esp. relating to free expression of the child's intellect and choice as an instrument of maintaining interest: Spontaneous Activity in Education.

Again, nothing personal. This is so interesting to me because I have always heard that there are differences in training for AMS and wondered what they were. I also feel that this has negatively contributed to the success of the method in US, which is what N. Rambusch accused Montessori of! IMO, if all the elements are not there it is more difficult to implement. It sounds like alot of extra work to set up all the topics of study, then come to find out the child is not interested. Maybe a few children will be. We strive to accent each area of the class with interesting and manageable experiences so that the child can choose the activity. Only when making choices, is the child's hand being directed by the mind. Do you do environment rotations as part of your training?

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 19, 2006

moteaco has scope and sequence on their website for 3-6,6-9, and 9-12.
    Patty, sent it to you as three separate attachments. The moteaco website is not running properly.

6. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

I heard that the website is no longer working. The person who started it decided not to keep up with it anymore. Too bad because there is lots of good information for Montessorians and others.

I follow the sequence, but I also choose a continent/animals to study in depth.

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 19, 2006

did you get my emails? At least that was salvaged from the site!
    I will find my 'word' document that i used to use for the 6-9 mont. classroom...ruth

8. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 19, 2006

traditional social studies scope

This is the latest of my classroom (traditional) As i locate the other one I am searching for, I will post it. Patty, hope this helps.

August
    Hurricane skills-
    Latitude Longitude

September
    Economics- scarcity, shopping, supply/demand, goods/services, banking,1920-1930 history

October
    Civics-Rights, privileges, Local/America Government, Types of leadership

November
    Florida History- native Americans, contributors to statehood and history

December
    Map skills- Interpreting data, charts, maps, globes

January
    continued

February
    FCAT PREP

March
    Time lines- scientist discoveries
    History

April
    Earth- natural resources, natural disasters

May
    Humanities- architecture, ballet, art, music, theatre, opera

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 19, 2006

traditional science scope

Science

Fundamental Needs of Man- Inventions

Matter-cell, atoms, inherited traits, measurements
    Atomic theory- periodic table of elements

Energy- force, motion, electricity (static & magnetic)
    Chemistry- changing matter physical and chemical, freezing/boiling

US Regions- physical categorized
    Landforms, climate, soil, natural vegetation

Geology- Rocks, Crystals, caves, erosion
    Plants & Animals- decomposers, carnivores, herbivores, adaptation

Space- constellations, earth, moon, sun, solar system

FCAT PREP

Science Fair- Experimentation Process

RRR- decomposition, recycling, limited resources

Economics Project

10. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

Yes Ruth I got your emails. Thanks so much. I have some great books by Gini Newcomb "A Guide to the Montessori Classroom". She has one for Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer. She usually sells these on ebay.

Your schedule looks similar to my friend that is a Montessori teacher for grades 4-6. She was also my DS's teacher for 3 years.

11. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 19, 2006

I just found those on ebay and there are two seasons being sold for $28. It looks like a spiral photocopy thingy not a hard cover book?! Is that Gini's?

12. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

Yes, they are in spiral form, like a notebook.

My very favorite book is called "A Teacher's Bag of Tricks" by Greg Nelson. This book is just a wealth of information for classroom management. It is especially helpful for the new Montessori teacher.