Do you have a file cabinet?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, Jun 7, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 7, 2011

If so what type and what do you use it for?

I am debating giving mine up for next year. I hate hanging files but I can't think of any other way to store student work samples and tests etc...

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2011

A large (huge) 4 drawer cabinet - legal size drawers, not letter sized.

One drawer is my monthly files - I've never gotten any farther in my filing than just one huge folder for each month.

One drawer is other files - student records, PD, etc.

The other two are random junk collectors. I should clean them out...

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2011

One large one is for office supplies.
    One large one is for files.
    One small one next to my next is for frequently used files and forms.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2011

I would never part with them! :)

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2011

2 large 4 drawer file cabinets...one two drawer one.

7. TheBagLady

TheBagLady Rookie

Jun 7, 2011

I used one last year for my IEPs. It was handy and locked, so I also stored my purse and prize box in there and carried the key. The stupid thing is I had to buy the hanging racks to go in it myself and they aren't cheap!

I didn't see one in my new room, but instead a locked cabinet. I may have to get more hanging folder crates instead.

8. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 7, 2011

I have a large four drawer file cabinet next to my computer cart that has some of my teaching files. I have a portfolio for reach student in that file cabinet. My smaller file cabinet is next to me desk. It has reports and folders that I use all the time. If my principal or another team member ever needs to see something, I just look in that drawer. I don't think I could make it without my file cabinets.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 7, 2011

I have four of the four-drawer ones and one two-drawer one. The small one is near my desk and it houses "teacher stuff".

The others are where I keep my materials. I have them divided by genre. I keep books and materials all in the drawers. I love my file cabinets.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jun 7, 2011

We have 2 4-drawer filing cabinets. We can't get rid of them since every classroom has to have the same basic furniture.
    I keep mine in my closet, which is near my desk. In one drawer I keep all my student portfolio and other information that is secure. I then have a drawer for writing, reading, science/social studies, and 2 drawers for math.

11. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2011

I have two in my room. One is a four drawer file cabinet and one is a two drawer file cabinet. I keep the homework curriculum and a bunch of construction paper that has already been used in the two drawer file cabinet. The four drawer cabinet has a drawer for first aid, a drawer for toys I confiscate and various things I need to stash somewhere, a drawer for videos and CDs, and one drawer for files of records of work and curriculum.

12. samuelarnold

samuelarnold Rookie

Jun 7, 2011

i wouldn't think so but keep the file cabinet it is great storage.

13. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 7, 2011

We all have to have one in our classroom. I didn't use it the first year because I didnt realize I had the key the whole time. HA HA!

Anyway, mine has three drawers. I use the first one to keep my student files in. Each student has their own folder and in the folder I keep their papers. I pass out the folder, then I pass out a bunch of work from the last week and they place it in there. It saves me a lot of time. It also allows them to see their grade. I did this a few years ago.

Then, I started using interactive student notebooks and everything stays in their notebook. So I didn't use the files. However, this coming year I plan to keep a monthly folder on what we are doing in class. I want to include a list of the pages it goes in our notebooks for those students that are absent. I might create the student files as well, but only keep their behavior sheets in there. The third drawer has a lot of worksheets that the previous teacher left behind, I feel bad throwing them out. The middle drawer normally has my MIMIO when I am not using it, my purse, and extra supplies that I might need. I have lockers in my classroom that hold most of my materials. The school doesn't allow the students to use the lockers, to avoid issues.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2011

I have two 4-drawer ones--one for my personal stuff and one houses all of our Special Ed forms, testing materials, etc. I need to clean out the personal one; there's way too much junk in there.

15. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jun 8, 2011

I used to have 2, but now I only have one. I love them for storage! I use a couple of drawers for files, and the other drawers for whatever else I need to store. The top of the cabinet is just big enough to hold my microwave. I put my purse in the top drawer, so if I need to leave the room with a sub, I can lock it quickly (not worried about the sub taking stuff, just know that sometimes the kids take liberties with a sub that they don't take with me).

I find that I move rooms more often than I don't, so when I am moving rooms, I put lighter stuff in them so I don't have to pack extra boxes.

16. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2011

I have two 2-drawer ones. I use them to file student work but I keep two different folders on each student. One drawer holds students information and testing information. The other drawer holds all student writing pieces. I keep a stacker bin with 2 shelves and then have a student or parent volunteer who does the filing.

My other cabinet, I use more for storage. I keep all my computer disks, plugs, cords, etc in one. The other one is where I keep the projects or other unsightly things that you sometimes need to keep out in our room.

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 8, 2011

I have one 2-drawer file cabinet. I use 1 drawer for files (forms and things that I need to grab quickly, permission slips for field trips, etc.), and the other drawer for my purse and snacks. :)

I use binder for most things. I really hate file cabinets.

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2011

I have a 4-drawer one. I'm actually in the progress of organizing my files--I have sections for each subject. Some are organized by unit/chapter or topic. Right now, I'm dividing up my reading/language ones by skill--there's too much overlap otherwise.

19. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Jun 8, 2011

I have one large one and 2 small ones. The large one is still full of stuff from the previous science teacher. It is in a back room, so I forget it is there. I really need to get rid of all the stuff in that one. The two small ones I use to store things that can't be stored on computer - like all my foldables and student work.

20. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2011

Because the nature of our courses for students are changing from examinations to continuous assessment we need more and more filing cabinates to store the huge volume of work they have to do. We are having to buy second hand cabinets in from junk stores.

21. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jun 8, 2011

I have one 2-drawer file cabinet. One doesn't have the hanging system, so I use that for my purse and a few objects. The other drawer I use for student portfolios. Everything else gets scanned and saved into my computer. I HATE keeping files of paper.

22. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 8, 2011

Well I guess the common theme is keep it because it is good for storage. I guess I can go ahead and do that. I just cleaned mine out and I did not realize how much snacks I did have in there stashed away.

23. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 8, 2011

I tried using binders, but I totally prefer folders for filing. I have a four drawer filing cabinet organzed as follows:
    Drawer 1: Subject Files - One hanging folder(sometimes you may need more depending on what you teach) for each subject with individual file folders for chpaters/parts of wach subject.
    Drawer 2: Monthly Files for holiday and seasonal things
    Drawer 3: Business - copies of forms, evals, things I need to keep
    Drawer 4: "Supplies" is what the tag on the outside says, but that translates to "my stash it when I don't know where else to put it drawer"

24. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 8, 2011

Chele I've heard people say they prefer files over binders. What is your reason?

Next year will be my first year using binders.