Do you have a desk?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kteachone, Feb 25, 2009.

1. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Feb 25, 2009

Due to budget cutbacks, our Kindergarten class sizes are going to swell to 23 students per class. I'm going to need to utilize as much space as I can, and I was thinking about getting rid of my desk. I never use it and it's just a junky mess.

I have two filing cabinets and other spaces to store things, so I thought I'd get rid of my desk. What do you think? Do you have a desk? If you don't, do you like not having one?

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2009

I don't have a desk. I would love to have one. I can make do without though. I don't even have a filing cabinet. You do need to look towards creative storage if you don't have a desk.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 25, 2009

I have a desk--- I requested one at the beginning of the school year because the retired teacher had a tiny tiny tiny computer desk for hers and I need my space. I need an area where it's MY space and this is it--- I brought some cute items from home to make it feel more like my place too.

I have plenty of counter space and cabinet space, so I really don't need a desk. I also have one counter space that could really become my desk but I wouldn't be facing the kids so I opted that out.

I love it--- especially when I need to do emails, or lesson plan, or grade papers. Everything is in that one spot.

5. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Feb 25, 2009

I don't have a computer for my desk. We have laptops, but they hook up across the room from my desk.

I never even use my desk. I've probably sat there 5 times this whole school year.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2009

I do this year- I didn't last year (well, I did, but used it as a table).

Last year, I had a HUGE room with TONS of built in storage. I did not use a desk. If I ever sat, it was at the back table or at an extra student desk I kept up front with my TEs on it.

This year, I am in a teeny-tiny room with NO storage. So, I have a desk to keep me organized. Plus, I have come to the conclusion that I like sitting there in the morning and getting ready for the day. When I used the table, I was constantly shifting my stuff around.

I can do it either way. Especially in K, I think I would never use it.

7. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Feb 25, 2009

I don't have a desk. I love it. It's so much extra space in my classroom and I don't miss it one bit. It was a clutter hot spot for me. I backed a table up against some extra cubbies and those serve as my storage space. Plus file cabinets.

8. HanEul

HanEul Rookie

Feb 26, 2009

Hello to Everyone!

Thank you kteachone for opening this topic. I am not a teacher yet but I just want to share a thought on your concern. Actually, a teacher's desk is more of a symbolism for the students. It represents the way a teacher handles her class. This is what I have learned during one of my Facilitating Learning class.

With or Without a teacher's desk is not a big dilemma, as long as you are meeting your Lesson Plans and being an effective and efficient teacher, then, teacher's desk is no big deal.

You just have to provide your self a storage for all the instructional materials you have or a place to organize the things you need fr school.

-----------------
    Catherine Agustin
    B Elementary Education major Special Education
    Batch 2011
    University of Santo Tomas
    Philippines

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 26, 2009

Being in two schools, I have two classrooms. But no desks. It bugs me a bit. I have a square table at one school that I use as a desk, but not having drawers really bugs me.

At my other school, it's simply too small of a room to have a desk in it. I have a tiny little round table that seats four, and then a student's desk for a single student to work at if s/he needs to be out of the classroom. If I need to do paperwork, or planning, I do it on the little round table, but I can't leave papers on it, as the students sit around it during classtime. It's not optimal, but it's possible.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 26, 2009

I would love to trade my desk for a horse shoe or kidney bean table! I do use my desk. But when I taught K-8 I had the kidney bean tables and never used the desk.

11. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Feb 26, 2009

I use a desk in my room, but if I didn't, I'd definitely invest in those rubbermaid carts with the built in drawers. I used to work at Sylvan and that's what we used to keep all our supplies in.

12. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2009

I used to love my desk, but now I never have a chance to be at it, so you can definitely live without it! Falcon Flyer is right, too--I work part time at Sylvan, and those little carts are great!

13. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Feb 26, 2009

I have a desk and also a kidney table. I spend MUCH more time at the kidney table (especially since we are now being required to teach both our Reading and Math almost all small group with only a maximum Mini-lesson of 10 minutes). I like the desk just for the fact it provides a "me space" for organization. The kids know that's my area. I understand where you are coming from though. We know that our class sizes are going to go up also at to at least 23. I am trying to figure out where I will put 2 more students. I have a good size classroom (much bigger than the mobile that I spent two years in) but it will still be difficult to fit two more into it. Hopefully the governor will accept the entire amount for the education stimulus and then we might get to reduce class size instead of increase it, have adequate supplies and materials to be able to effectively teach our kids, and not be given a copy quota. (please don't wake me up yet, I want to dream a little longer) :)

14. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Feb 26, 2009

When I taught K and had a big room, I had a desk. When I taught K and had a teeny tiny room, I got rid of the desk and opted for a shelf and a kidney shaped table. This is very doable. I never used my desk in K. I taught 1st for a year and used my desk. When I moved up to 2nd this year, the teacher I replaced did not have a desk in the room. I got one moved in and use it to store teacher supplies. I have my kidney table sitting next to it. I use that more often, but do transfer between the two. I will say that I am not one who sits behind the desk. I also have a laptop and a laptop table that I am at when I am teaching. I use that in conjunction with my smartboard.

15. Arky

Arky Comrade

Feb 26, 2009

I don't have a desk anymore. Our P made us all feel we shouldn't have one so many of the teachers got rid of them. Now we use a table. What is the difference? It has stuff on it all the time like my desk did. I miss the drawers too and a place that was just mine!
    I think it is funny that some administrators think a desk can represent a a poor teacher. We even had one speaker say if you have the desk in the front of the room it shows the classroom is all about the teacher and not the students. It is how the teacher uses the desks that represents what kind of teacher she is, not the desk or where it sits. When I had one, I liked it handy. I kept stuff on it that I did not want to kids to get like tape, staples, and certain pencils. Now I never have one.

16. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 26, 2009

I have a desk, I keep all my junk there! and I meet / conference with my kids there

17. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Feb 28, 2009

I actually posted this same question a few years ago. After reading all the responses to my post, I decided to get rid of my desk. Now, I have much more room in my class - I love it! I haven't once missed having a desk. When I do need to sit down or get some work done, I just sit at the table in my class where I do guided reading. I works great!

18. ianangelyk

ianangelyk Rookie

Mar 1, 2009

:)I work for PCI and in our center I dont have a desk it would be nice to have one. I think I would feel more like a teacher, and not like a baby sitter, but also like you say, if I had one I would probably use it for my junk. Are you going to have an assistant with you? I think 23 children is too much for one person specially kindergarten.:dizzy:

19. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 1, 2009

I have a desk and never sat at it until last year. I used to sit at a small table but with my class size growing I had to give it up for the kids!

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2009

When I had my own classroom I did have a desk; however, I rarely used it. I never sit during class time, and I think it would be easy for me to not have a desk if it meant making more room for the students. I would often find myself just sitting at one of my student's desks instead of my own to grade papers sometimes.