Do you have a deadline by which you should grade an assignment?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 27, 2015

I try to have everything graded within one week. Doesn't always happen. Especially with essays.

I have a parent who was upset that it took more than a week to grade 150 essays. It took me two weeks. I also was having to do quite a few other things like managing the tech for our school, leading a PD, doing other PD, and planning and managing many engineering projects.

I get that parents get anxious, but sometimes things take a while, and I don't always think that having everything kids do entered in the gradebook is necessarily ideal either. I do a lot of formative assessment so I don't always need to assign a grade to everything.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 27, 2015

I try to grade assignments the day I get them. That being said, I rarely get assignments on or before the date I suggest they be turned in so we can move on. They trickle in slowly enough that I can do this.

Are you grading using a rubric? If so, you can simply check where the student hits in each aspect of it. Those guidelines ARE your comments because they've hit all those specified where you've checked.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2015

We are supposed to get assignments in the grade book within two days. However, it is a private school with very small classes. I have 12 students K-6 and I have one of the big classes.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 27, 2015

We are supposed to update our online grade book every two weeks.

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2015

I'm in elementary, so it's somewhat different, but I aim to get assignments looked at / scored (depending whether or not it's one being scored) within a school day...two at most...unless it is something that is very intensive to grade/score (think: writing assessments). I want to be able to give immediate feedback to the students and be able to immediately pull those students who are struggling to provide them the support they need.

As for getting into the online gradebook for scored assignments? I tend to update it every couple weeks. Parents receive all their child's papers home (HW that has been looked at, either by the student or me, AR Test printouts, and any other scored assignments from class) each Friday, so they should have a general idea where their child is at. Since there's maybe 4-5 scores at most I'd put in there in any given week (often less, though), it isn't worthwhile to do it more often for me.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 29, 2015

We are expected to have our grades up to date each Monday morning.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 29, 2015

We have something in our contract about short assignments vs. large assignments but I only even knew it was in there from serving on the negotiation committee. It's never mentioned otherwise.

It takes me longer than two weeks to do far fewer essays.

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 29, 2015

If you are grading and giving feedback on assignments you should try to get the turn around as short as possible, if you intend for the feedback to be important to the student.

With that said, I grade very little. The overwhelming majority of assignments we do in class are debriefed in small groups or as a whole class. Quizzes and essays are about all I grade.

10. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Mar 29, 2015

Mine is every Monday, but I have never met this deadline. Intact, I usually don't grade anything until progress or report cards are due. I do the majority of my assessing from what goes on in my small groups. If a child is struggling I always let their parents know well before any reports go home. However, I don't even agree with my procrastination and will try to do better.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 29, 2015

For assignments and essays--no. I do try to give myself a short deadline for tests and quizzes.

Sometimes life gets busy and something has to give. Sometimes that is delaying grading essays another day. Sometimes I don't think parents understand how much work a teacher really has.

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 29, 2015

I think it's gotten to the point where I'll make essays a separate assignment than the multiple choice portions of our exams. That way they can get an immediate idea of how they did on the multiple choice, even if it takes me a while to grade their essays.

13. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Mar 29, 2015

Essay marking with feedback can take forever! I explain to my students that if they want me to rush, I can do it quickly. If they want me to give notes, ideas, and ways to improve...well, that takes time!

14. The Natural Log

The Natural Log Rookie

Mar 29, 2015

Problem is most students only care about the grade, and don't even look at the notes, ideas, or ways to improve. I never write more than 1-2 general comments, and if a student wants further feedback beyond the grade, they are welcome to schedule a conference with me to receive such information.