Do you have a carpet area?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by ms99, Jul 8, 2012.

1. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Jul 8, 2012

Hi! I was just wondering how many third grade teachers call their students to the carpet for read alouds/whole group instruction etc. This is my second year teaching third grade, and I am toying with the idea of getting a rug and using it for read alouds. I don't think any of the other third grade teachers at my school have a carpet area in their classroom. Would this be too babyish? Love to hear your opinions/experiences. Thanks!!:)

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2012

I definitely don't think it's too babyish. Next year is my first year in 3rd, but I student taught in 3rd and we had a carpet. At my last school they had a carpet area all the way up to 5th grade! I would like to have one but my room is TINY. Supposedly my class won't be that big- they're saying that this year's group is smaller and that there will maybe be 22-23 per class, so that might help. I'm going to have to wait and see until I can go in and actually start setting up my room to see if it's feasible. Just remember not to keep them on the floor for too long- kids get uncomfortable sitting there just like adults do after awhile! I would use mine for read alouds, morning meetings, or maybe some quick mini lessons.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2012

Our entire school, K-4, uses carpet areas for teaching. My P is getting both grades 3 and 4 awesome new carpets this year!

5. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 8, 2012

My last school had a carpet area in all classrooms from k-5. :)

6. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Jul 8, 2012

Yeah, now that I think about it the school that I student taught in had carpet areas in their third grade classes. I'd really like to have one this next year. My new room that I'm moving into isn't as big as my old one though, so I'm not sure if I'll have space. I really like the idea of it, so hopefully I'll be able to find a place to make one.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2012

Definitely look for a way to make this work. It just helps to break up the day for the students and it makes it really easy to see that they are all focused on the lesson.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2012

I taught 4th last year and the carpet was used for all large group lessons. So I will definitely be using it in 3rd. Even 5th grade at my school uses the rug for lessons. I feel like the kids are so much more attentive when they're right in front of me close together on the rug.

9. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 9, 2012

I have a carpet area in 3rd grade. I use it for a variety of activities.

1. Whole group instruction
    2. Guided Reading Groups (Inclusion Class with 2 teachers)
    3. Reading area for students
    4. Work center for students when are working on projects
    5. Library area - house all of my books in the carpet area

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2012

That's exactly what our rug was used for, all 5 things. Although sometimes I didn't like doing guided reading on the rug so I'd take over one of the students' tables (far away from my co-teacher if she was doing guided reading at our "small group" table.) The students who's table I was at could sit at another seat (there are always empty seats with kids out of the room, absent, at the small group table) or work on the rug. We got 2 huge floor pillows from Donors Choose and the students loved working on the rug!

11. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Jul 9, 2012

I'm sold! I should be getting into my new classroom this week to get a look at things to find where I can incorporate a carpet area. I really think it would have helped me last year. I had a class that needed to NOT be in desks all the time.

12. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jul 14, 2012

I don't use a "rug" because they're so expensive! However, we do have carpet time. I use the carpet for Monday morning meets, vocabulary lessons, and reading. This year I'm going to begin Writer's Workshop and will have them sit on the carpet for the mini lesson.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 14, 2012

When I taught 3rd grade I had a rug. We sat there for Morning Meeting, read alouds, mini-lessons etc. Some of them chose to go to the carpet for silent reading or to work quietly.

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 14, 2012

My room wasn't large enough for a rug area but I did allow for some kids to sit on the floor and the rest to sit in the front row. They argued sometimes over who would sit where, but I liked having the kids close to me and it really did break up the day.

15. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2012

I do. I use it all the time.

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2012

I called kids to the carpet in 4th grade. They loved whenever I would read to them! I also used it for group work, math games, and more.

17. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 16, 2012

:)YES!! We have a rug (cheap clearance rug) and I took in 4 cushions from old dining room chairs and we call the students who get to use these our "cushion kids." The teacher helper keeps up with a checklist so we know who gets the cushions each day. All of this is in our classroom library area. My very favorite part of the day is calling them all over here while I read aloud from our chapter book after lunch.