Do you guys think this would be too forward?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yambert, May 7, 2008.

1. yambert

yambert Rookie

May 7, 2008

I'm a student (just a teacher wannabee at this point) and I wanted to get some teacher's opinions on this.

Would you feel weird if a student, who you've never had, but will have next year, came up to you and asked for some reading/workbook supplies? Im taking french 3 next year for my junior year, but I havent taken french in so long, and Im really, ridiculously rusty. I want to talk to my future french teacher about maybe getting some french 1/2 workbooks but considering Ive never even had her as a teacher I feel somewhat weird about it. Would you mind if you were in the french teachers position?

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 7, 2008

Absolutely not - I would be thrilled for a student to take the initiative and ask for some extra help. :)

Make sure you give her plenty of time to get the work together for you. Most importantly, if you ask her for the work - do the work :) Good Luck

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 7, 2008

I think it would be a great idea to ask for some workbooks. It would show that you are responsible for your own education and know that you need to brush up on your French.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 7, 2008

What a refreshing idea! A student taking the steps necessary to succeed!! Sorry, I'm bit frustrated and cynical at the moment. I just gave my lovelies and open notebook test that they have known about for more than a week, and I still had terrible grades! I gave them all the answers for Pete's sake!

I say ask for the extra work, do it, and dazzle her/him with your maturity and diligence.

6. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

May 7, 2008

I have some work books here on french level 3. Definately ask I am sure the teacher wont mind.

7. yambert

yambert Rookie

May 7, 2008

oh yeah, if I asked for the work I would do it without a doubt. Honestly, its all about me not looking like a total fool when I start the class next year :lol: She speaks in total french for all of the class, so I dont wanna be the idiot asking her to repeat something every two minutes.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'll ask her tommorow and tell you guys how it goes. I feel kinda silly being nervous about it now.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 7, 2008

*passing out in shock*

What a novel concept. Actually, I did this regularly in college. I'm a slow reader/writer and my minor was english, so I always approached my lit profs for the syllabus near the end of the previous term so I could get everything read before the next term started.

9. MrU82

MrU82 Rookie

May 8, 2008

Are you kidding? You're a teachers dream come true....a student that actually has foresight and cares about their future. Good job. Convince all your friends to do the same.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 8, 2008

Here's something else you might find helpful: C. Frederic Farrell's Side by Side French and English Grammar. It compares French and English grammar side by side in ways that will help you with both, and there are exercises. You can get it from Amazon, of course, but turns out it's on sale at the unbelievably cool bookstore Powell's (http://www.powells.com/biblio?isbn=9780071419338).