Do you guys get use to the sleep schedule?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ACardAttack, Jan 12, 2010.

1. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Jan 12, 2010

I'm student teaching and still trying to get use to getting up early. Thankfully the school I am at starts at 830, instead of 740 like most schools in the area. I get to bed between ten and eleven and get up at 630, and I'm not tired; it just takes me a few min to get force myself to get up and once I get moving and I'm not too bad.

So have you teachers gotten use to getting up this early or do you all fight it every morning?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2010

Most of the adults I know get up pretty early-- it's just part of life as an adult working days.

I know it's a big change from college, but you'll get used to it.

4. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Jan 12, 2010

I hope so, like I'm getting enough sleep, but its more my body saying, I dont care how much sleep you got, its still too early...im a night owl by heart, but it gets easier and easier each day

5. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2010

I get up at 5 a.m. and still fight it. Then again, I worked evening/nights most of my life, and didn't start teaching until 2 years ago, when I was 52. I was one of those lucky adults who got to sleep late in the day :)

It will take you a while. Don't worry.

6. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Jan 12, 2010

This is my 5th year, and I'm just now getting up early enough to not run around like a crazy woman! But I've also learned that I need to have the lights out by 10:00!

7. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jan 12, 2010

In 2009 I got up at 7.
    In 2010 , specifically in March (when I go back to school) I will need to get up earlier cause my 2 daughters get to school at the same time, so it´s DOUBLE JOB!!! 2 backpacks, 2 everything!
    I can make it, and Dh will help, as he always DOES!!!!!!!!!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2010

I've never had a problem getting up early but don't phone me after 9:30pm!

My son is having to adjust to a new sleep schedule as well. He's a university student whose preferred schedule would be to go to sleep at about 3:00am and get up between 2:00 and 3:00pm. He's on a co-op work semester right now and is having to get used to getting up at 7:00 and being out of the house by 7:40am. It's a slow adjustment, but it's happening.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 12, 2010

I've done it so long that I wake up at 6:00, or earlier, even on Saturday and Sundays.

Fast Chalk, pack as much as you can the night before, stress in the morning is no fun for you or the kids.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2010

I get up a 5, I'm in my classroom at 6:30, and teaching my first class at 7. You'll get used to it. On the weekends I sleep in until 6! (As the saying goes, there's no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast. :))

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 12, 2010

I'm not much of a night owl so I'm asleep between 9:30 and 10:00 most nights, sometimes even earlier. I wake up at 5:00. My first job out of college I had a two hour commute from PA to NYC so I got used to waking up early then, and broke the "stay up late, sleep late" routine I had had in college. You'll probably get used to it quickly as long as you don't stay up late.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 12, 2010

Oh, and 8:30 sure is a late start for high school. I'm home today for a doctor's appointment, but my day officially starts at 7:15 with homeroom at 7:20.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 12, 2010

I am a natural night owl. For my entire life, when left up to my own devices I stay until until 2-3 in the morning and sleep until 10-11. I've done that the entire time I've been off school for vacation . . . two weeks or Christmas and a week and a half for snow days so far. I was up until 2:30 last night, and I got up at 9:30 today.

From high school, through college, into working, I've had to get up between 6:00 and 6:30. I just do it. My body is "trained" to automatically wake up sometime between 5:30-6:30, so I'm never fully asleep when the alarm goes off. By the time I'm out of bed and to the bathroom, I'm awake. Even this morning, I was awake a little before 6:00, so I got up and went to the bathroom, took my medicine, and got something to drink before going back to bed. I read awhile and drifted back to sleep.

I cannot go to bed early. If I go to bed early, I wake up too early. If I were to go to bed at 10:00, I'd be awake sometime between 4-5 in the morning. I never go to bed before 11:00. Usually I head to bed at 11:00, watch the news, and then watch a few minutes of a late-night program before going to sleep.

Even though I'm up, awake, and feeling fine at that early time, I'm not the type to LIKE mornings, and I don't want to do anything extra. I always make sure that the night before I lay out my clothes, make sure my school bag and purse are ready, and get my lunch and breakfast ready to go. (I eat breakfast at work while I check my morning emails.) I'm at work between 7:15-7:20 every morning, and I have kids at 7:50. At the end of the school day I make sure that my room is ready to go for the next day. I never have anything that has to be done in the mornings.

14. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 12, 2010

If I'm in a regular routine, then I'm to bed before 11 and up by 5 no problems. If I'm off on some social tear then I might push 1 or 2 going to bed and 6 getting going. I also plan an early bedtime, around 8-9, most weeks so that I'm at least getting some rest every once in a while. This means I drop everything, something doesn't get done, somebody has to wait, and I'm okay with that.

15. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jan 12, 2010

I'm a confirmed morning person so getting up early is not a problem for me (I don't even need an alarm clock). In fact, I like having a fast start to my days in the morning. The problem is that my wife is a late person (goes to bed late, has trouble getting up in the morning) which kind of interferes with my sleep and waking patterns.

16. Gien

Gien Rookie

Jan 12, 2010

I have a love-hate relationship with early mornings. I love it that when you get up early you have the entire day ahead of you (plus I hate rushing, so I'm rather too early than too late). But I also like sleeping in once in a while. So I alternate :)

17. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Jan 12, 2010

I'm a night owl, and yes, I've gotten used to it. Doesn't mean I don't fight the alarm clock in the morning though. :)
    However, on the vacations, I'm back to staying up late and sleeping in late!

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 12, 2010

Is this the 1st time in your life you have to wake up early? I'm not a morning person, but I've gotten used to waking up early for work, but that's the only reason I'll wake up early, unless I have to wake up early to go on a fun trip. But I'm definitely a night owl!

You'll get used to it eventually. :)

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2010

I have been teaching for 8 years and I am not used to it at all. I still whine and grumble every morning when the alarm goes off at 5:45. I could sleep later if I wanted, but I hate rolling out of bed and going to work, esp for this type of job.

Once summer starts it only takes about 3 days before I am up until 2 and sleeping until 9.

20. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jan 12, 2010

I am not a mornig person. I hit the snooze for a good half hour so I make sure to plan that into my routine. I also need a lot of sleep, so I make sure to go to bed no later than 9. I want to be in bed at 8:30, but that is tough sometimes. I get up at 5 (okay 5:30!). I get to school early to beat the traffic and I am usually here over an hour early. It is nice to get stuff done in the morning. Once I am up I am okay, but getting out of bed is tough!

21. RNolan

RNolan Rookie

Jan 12, 2010

As long as I can get in bed before midnight, I can get myself out of bed by 7 and in to the parking lot by 8. I'm a younger teacher so I'm sure this will wear on me eventually.

22. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Jan 12, 2010

Sleep??? What is this sleep you speak of?

23. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jan 12, 2010

I eat a lot of superfoods and exercise, which produces a lot of energy. I get 6 hours of sleep and I'm full of energy. I wake up at 5:30 and get home at 5:30. I teach the afterschool program. I'm crazy. I'm used to it I suppose, but then again I worked full time while going to college with the exception of student teaching.

24. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 12, 2010

I used to give myself just enough time to get ready and leave for work (wake at 6am). I fought it.

Now, I get up at 4:45am ... you'd think that would be even harder ... but, I work out, then sit down with my laptop and get caught up on my 'net stuff (like reading the paper for other people). Then, I shower and get ready and leave for work.

For some reason, having a leisurely morning makes getting out of bed so much easier for me.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2010

I'm up at 5, but I'm a morning person. I shower, spend a little time here, then get tea for me and get the kids up for school.

But by about 9 or 9:30, I've had it.

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2010

My alarm goes off at 5:30 and I keep hitting snooze until I can muster up enough strength to get up, and then I utter how much I hate getting up early. I always hate getting up early, but once I actually am up I wake up ok and ease into my day (not without a cup of coffee, of course).

27. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jan 12, 2010

I have had jobs where I had to get up at 2:45, 3:00, 3:15... all in the morning. Sometimes times I would be getting home at those same hours.

It is part of the adult world of work. Make any adjustments necessary to your life. Turns out not to be that big of a deal.

Currently, I get up at 4:45 a.m. to start the day of teaching.

28. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 12, 2010

My school starts at 9:30, but I have to be there by 8. I'm usually up by 6:30am so I can walk the dog. It sucks, but my last job I had to BE THERE by 6am....so it's not so bad. I like having a good hour before the kids roll in, and I imagine that if I ever teach I will have to show up early for that prep time. I like it a lot!

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 13, 2010

I could never ever see myself getting up an hr earlier than usual to exercise or walk my dog BEFORE getting ready for work! I guess I just don't have that kind of discipline or will power...whatever you want to call it. :) I guess if I really had to do it, I could 2, maybe 3 days a week, but I don't know about 5 days a wk!

I give myself an hr to get ready for work & tend to my dog (doesn't involve walking), then another 30 min to drive to work. I never eat breakfast. The thing that takes me the longest to do in the mornings is putting on makeup. If it wasn't for that, I could wake up just an hr before I had to be at work. I can never just skip makeup. My skin isn't flawless where I could just wash my face & go. I even put on foundation to go to the gym.

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2010

If I needed to, I could be out of the house in 20-25 minutes--including shower, make-up and breakfast (to eat on the way). I would, however, feel out-of-kilter all day.

31. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jan 13, 2010

My sleep rhythm changed when I had kids. When I returned to work after a having my second, I started getting up at 5 to exercise and have breakfast before school. This was (and continues to be) an important part of my fitness routine. My body has adjusted, and even on days that I don't have school, I rarely sleep past 7.

32. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Jan 13, 2010

Not the first time, but its been a while since I've had to get up early consistently, occasionally for my retail job on weekends during christmas season, but its been a while since I've had a class before 10am

I get enough sleep, I wake up before my alarm goes off, but my body doesnt care if I had 12hrs of sleep, it sees 630 and says, too early, sleep until 8 or 9...but once I fight that fight and get out of bed its not too bad

And like someone else said, I give my self time in the morning to get online, listen to some ESPN, etc

33. Kev

Kev New Member

Jan 13, 2010

I don't think your body will ever fully get used to getting up before dawn, it's a programmed response to the external stimuli.

You might want to try buying one of those light producing alarm clocks. Those alarm clocks fool you into thinking that the sun already came up, very tricky ;)

34. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 13, 2010

I haven't gotten used to it yet after 3 years. On the weekends I still sleep in till 9-10 or sometimes even later. It doesn't help that my husband works 3pm-midnight and stays up till between 3 and 5 every morning. I try to stay up and spend some time with him on the weekends when he stays on that same schedule. I definitely am not a morning person.

35. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 13, 2010

I am a night owl! It has been an adjustment any time I've had an early morning job. But I think you start looking at it differently once you start getting up early enough to have "me" time in the morning.

My sister used to get to school an hour before her students and I couldn't figure out why. Now I understand. Mainly because I am a night owl, it is so much easier if I get up extra early and am able to sit, have coffee, read the paper, watch the news, take care of the dog, all before I have to get ready for work, and NOT talk to anyone for an hour. It is a treat for myself. If I get up late and have to skip the fun stuff, I am grumpy and out of kilter.

I think it is an early bird world - but if I can get used to getting up at 5 or 6 a.m. anyone can do it!

36. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 13, 2010

My sleep takes a tremendous hit during the school year. Many times I feel like I'm running on fumes. I go to bed at 10:30 and get up at 5, and I'm fighting the alarm clock all the way. So much that I set the cell phone alarm and the iHome alarm clock- on both sides of the room!

37. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2010

One thing that helps me (especially during the dark winter days) is to have a few lamps on a timer in my living room. Then, when my alarm clock goes off, there are lights outside my bedroom--it's more inviting to get up and going.

38. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Jan 14, 2010

I am having a very hard time with waking up early. I set my alarm for 6 am, however, I do not get out of bed until 645am. I work far from home, so these days I have to rush to school and hope I find a parking spot. I am hoping this routine changes soon.

39. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jan 16, 2010

I go to bed early. I'm usually tucked away by 9:00 - 9:30, and I get up at 5. You get used to it ;)