Do you grade Homework?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Irishdave, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2008

Homework

Do you grade it or give it credit for completing it?

Is it Independent practice?
    Should Independent practice be graded?
    I had a discussion with My Principal about it, since a teacher can not monitor it {going in the wrong direction (practicing it wrong), cheating, etc}
    I always just gave credit for completing it and only counted it about 15% of the final grade. Tests and in class work always counted more.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2008

When I grade homework, it's typically for completion and not correctness.

I'm moving away from taking work done outside of the classroom for a grade because I have growing concerns about rampant plagiarism. So far it's been working for me to assign work in class, have students practice while I'm around to answer questions, and assign as homework stuff like note-taking, pre-reading, reading myths...things that we had normally done together as a class. Essentially I've flip-flopped what I've typically assigned as both classwork and homework. It seems to be working out so far.

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 20, 2008

To be honest, I grade most of it in my Social Studies classes. I feel like that my honors and AP kids should by now be able to complete an interactive notebook type assignment, small essay/project, or reading with questions and notes accurately. (Which is the majority of my homework). Unlike math its more of the same every time. Even when I spot check homework in Social Studies I will take off points for incorrect answers. I have found this harder to do with my new point based system as to keep the weight between assignments and assesments the way I want it Homework can only be worth 5-10 points daily, with a few 20-25 point assignments in there. That's why next year I am going back to percentages.

In math, however, I just give points for completion. I feel that in Math that the students can actualy be trying hard and coming up with the wrong answers. The same applies in Foreign Languages, as new topics are being taught every day just like in math and it s not always expected for them to fully comprhend how to do so in the beginning. However, in Social Studies the homework is much easier. While the kids are learning new topics everyday the way they learn about them is usually the same. I guess what I am saying is that after 5 years of SS by the time I get my kids they should be able to read and answer questions correctly (as well as do my other types of assignments). But can I really expect the same out of my Algebra kids who are learning factoring for the first time and then practicing it the following night? I think not.

Classwork (including projects, essays, tests, quizzes, presentations, of all sizes) in both Math and Social Studies are always collected and graded and worth more towards their grade.

Homework and classwork usually are 20% each for my classes.

5. wig

wig Devotee

Feb 20, 2008

Homework for me is work not completed in class. I use percentages and it counts as 20 - 25% of the final grade. I agree with Brennan that Social Studies (and Lit/Lang Arts) is new information, not new concepts, so I am not concerned about them not understanding - especially when the majority is done in class and I am there to help if needed.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2008

When I student taught in sixth grade math I just checked all of the homework for completeness and made sure that if they needed to show their work for a problem it was shown.

7. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Feb 20, 2008

I very rarely give English homework, but when I do, it's for an accuracy grade. However, I think homework in subjects like math should be based on completion!

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 20, 2008

Really? You don't give alot of English Homework? My son gets reading and journaling each night for english (about 30 pgs each night, but sometimes it no journal or a worksheet instead of the journal). On top of that their is studying for the constant quizzes/tests (about 1-2 per week), biweekly timed writes, and termly papers, huge literature quests. While I like how he is learning how to handle a large work load, I wonder what they do in class. From what I hear here versions of discussions is her calling on students and telling them if they are right or wrong.

9. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 20, 2008

Wig, your a nice teacher I give classwork and nightly homework for my High Schoolers :) So classwork counts as 20% and homework counts as another 20%.

10. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Feb 20, 2008

I teach middle school science and rarely give homework except reading assignments and/or research. I will give a study guide before each test with 10 short answer questions...that is pretty much all my homework. When I assigned homework in the past, some of the students didn't do it at all, many only half-way did it, several copied another student's work...It was not worth the time and effort. If we do it in class, I know it is their work - plus I like to be there to answer questions. The time I used to spend reading aloud, we now do practice. To ensure they read their assignments at home, they know I give reading comprehension quizes. These also let me know how much time I need to spend on that section in class.

11. carlea

carlea Comrade

Feb 20, 2008

I grade any essays that were given as homework but just check off the other work.

12. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Feb 20, 2008

Homework assignments are few and far between and I only give it to them for a reason. They often have outside readings that they need to work on, but there is little homework from night to night. They know they have to have the next vocabulary unit done by the first class meeting of the week. Rarely, I assign them a reading on an author, or a literary movement, or related readings to a novel to respond to out of class.

I used to do journals but they became a chore for me, so I dropped it. I make them do most of their responses in class, and encourage them to discuss what they feel about the novel with support - not just me telling them what I think the work is about. However, for some novels, I give reading journals (this year I did that for Beloved and The Things They Carried), but English is not a class for piles of homework in my opinion.

13. wig

wig Devotee

Feb 20, 2008

BUT, Keep in mind I teach 5-8 - not high school. I would have higher expectations of high schoolers.

14. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Feb 23, 2008

For all you math teachers...

How do you have time to actually have kids do classwork? My lessons last the entire 52 minutes. We do tons of guided practice until it appears that about 80% understand it. Then, they do independent practice for homework. I'm all for not grading practice based on accuracy, but what assignments do you grade on accuracy? How is your grading set up?

15. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Feb 23, 2008

I grade on a 0 - 10 scale based on how much is completed and effort. Given the disparities that kids have in their home environments, I don't think it's fair to grade on accuracy. In addition, since homework is part of the process of learning a topic, I don't want the kids to be dinged for errors they make as they learn something. Tests and projects give me the chance to grade for accuracy.

We have 50 minute periods, this usually leaves me about 20 minutes on an average day for classwork. Most of the time the classwork becomes the homework.

db

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2008

I hear you on the chore aspect

17. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 23, 2008

We have 85 minute periods. The set up is as follows for math:
    -15 minute: warm-up, homework check, and homework review.
    -30 minutes: Notes
    -30 Minutes: Classwork and Assign Homework

Classwork is always collected and graded as they have me to help them and they compelete it in groups. what I will be doing next year for grades:
    -40%: Tests
    -25%: Quizzes
    -15%: Classwork
    -15%: Homework
    -5%: Noteook