Do you grade all of your assignments?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Nov 28, 2011.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Nov 28, 2011

I'm getting behinder...

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2011

No.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 28, 2011

It kills me when a teacher introduces a concept or skill, demonstrates it, does practice questions for the class, then assigns the students practice questions...to be scored and entered into the gradebook. It's a learning process. And it's practice.

So to answer your question, no.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 29, 2011

In my HS History classes? Absolutely.

Textbook and secondary and primary sources readings are almost always accompanied with terms and fact-based questions. These I grade very closely for accuracy. If they cannot get these questions right it makes it very clear that they are not doing the reading. When I don't assign factual based questions and terms, students have to outline. To grade these I not only grade on organization, but I look through it for certain terms that were absolutely essential; not minutia.

Now the other half of my questions are usually analysis and interpretation. Projects also are more analysis and interpretation. These I still grade, but I allow for a little intellectual wiggle room, particularly if the reading or topic is difficult. I'm not looking for one particular answer, but rather how they use the text or course notes to support their answer.

In my class these assignments are important. They total close to 25 or 30% of my students grades.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2011

I don't grade homework. I check it for completeness, then we go over it.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2011

I don't grade everything--daily work is checked for completion.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Nov 29, 2011

I'm like Mrs. C. I check daily work for completion, and I'll spot check for certain concepts in their written responses.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2011

I check most assignments for completion that are considered practice. I use many little quizzes and other assessments that I grade, but these are usually only a few problems a student not 10 or more.

10. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2011

Grade everything? absolutely not. Some are saying they check for completion on practice, a good chunk of assignments that are graded are simply checked for completion and given a grade. Then there are a handful of things that are done for practice that are never checked. It would take way too much time to look over every single thing the students do.

11. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Nov 29, 2011

Exactly, this is what I am running into. I've had quite a few days of training this year and have left worksheets for the sub. We have a lot of worksheets built up. And of course the subs don't correct HW.

So here is my question; do parents wonder if you send back work that has no marks on it? Or do you put checks on them to indicate completion? Or can we just file (throw) some of the "pracitice" work away?

You guys are really helping me out here. I was starting to get anxiety sweats over all our built up papers.

12. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Nov 29, 2011

I put checks on tons of things I never see. I also am known to just toss practice work from time to time. I'd say I grade well under half of what my students do. I typically grade no more than 2 things a week.

It is not at all difficult to figure out what a kid knows from a couple assignments a week plus regular assessments.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 29, 2011

I tell my parents at the beginning of the year that grades for completion or things that I just look at will have a check mark on the top. I check mark them, hand them back, and send them home. That way parents know that I've at least glanced at them.

14. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Nov 29, 2011

Most of our in-class stuff, I do a check mark system on. -V is incomplete or totally wrong, V is mostly complete and mostly right, V+ is excellent work.

If it's a quiz, writing assignment, or something I need to know EXACTLY how well they mastered, I'll grade it in detail. Otherwise, no.

15. kme93

kme93 Companion

Nov 29, 2011

I grade quizzes, tests, and projects. I occasionally grade review assignments, but I tell the students in advance. Everything else is graded on completion. I have a stamp that says "Checked for Completion".

I think this depends on what subject you teach. I would think that an English class (for example) would have less "daily" homework than a math class. So an English teacher may grade everything while a math teacher may not. It depends a lot on how you want to structure your class.

16. bondo

bondo Cohort

Nov 29, 2011

Don't grade everything, but check to see if its completed.

17. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2011

I am a big fan of the filing system that sits on the floor right next to my desk. There is even someone who comes into my room everday after school to help me "organize" that file system and allow for more room to put things in it the next day.

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011

I tell parents at the beginning of the year that a check with a 'c' means checked for completion. This year I got a Vista Print stamp that says "Checked for Completion."

On some in-class activities I will do V+, V, and V-, and then assign grades based on that.

19. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2011

What does the V stand for?

I'd love to get a stamp. Great idea...you could even have students stamp it after you check the work. They'd love to do it.

20. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2011

Oh, that's a check--couldn't figure out another way to type it!

If it's a practice page that we go over in class, I will walk around as we're checking it. If I see some who really struggled with it, I may collect it to look at them more closely, or I'll jot down notes of who may need more practice/reteaching. Often, though, they take the papers home right away.

(The stamp I have is self-inking, so it's just as easy to use as writing on the paper.)

21. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Dec 1, 2011

Pretty much. Spanish is so repetitive particularly when they're learning a new grammar point that I may check the first, middle and last thing they do each week. The rest I either check for completion, check specific numbers (ex. problem 1, 3 and 5) or place in file 13...

22. sonflawah

sonflawah Companion

Dec 1, 2011

For the first few months of my first year of teaching, I graded everything. Never again.

Now for classwork I assign a point value to each page (say 5 points) and by looking at it to check for completion, I assign them a score which goes in the grade book.

23. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 3, 2011

If I graded each and every assignment, I'd never leave my classroom because there'd be a never-ending pile of things to score.

24. queenie

queenie Groupie

Dec 4, 2011

I grade every test and quiz.

Kids "share" group projects and projects in front of the class.

On workbook or practice pages I give a check plus for no mistakes, a checkmark for a few mistakes, and a check minus for a lot of mistakes. Sometimes when it's obvious they didn't even try, I write "Re-do and Return" at the top. I don't keep a list of who has to return papers, though. Nor do I keep track of check plusses, checks, or check minuses.

Sometimes when I get behind and I find workbook pages in the bottom of my bag from the week before, I throw them away without grading them.

I grade Writing only for specific things. For example, capitals & end marks. Or whatever we happen to be emphasizing at the time. Writing takes forever to grade otherwise.

When I make up tests, I purposely make them easy to grade. Either multiple choice or a big box for answers!

25. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Dec 4, 2011

Oh my! Love this thread... I'm drowning in grading papers!

If you check things for "completion" then how to you mark that in the gradebook? Someone could do a 10-item practice and get half wrong... but they COMPLETED the whole assignment. What do they get in the gradebook?

26. AnonyMS

Dec 4, 2011

I've had a teacher tell me, "If it's worth assigning, it's worth grading" and I've been grading every. thing.

27. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2011

My gradebook software gives me the option of setting special grading codes. For completion grades, I usually enter "yes" or "no" or "incomplete". Yes = 100%, no = 0%, and incomplete (where only some of the work was attempted) is either 50% or 60%.

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2011

If it's worth assigning, it's worth looking at and assessing. That's not the same as grading, in my opinion. I think that students should be given a chance to actually practice the material without penalty if they don't immediately understand it. Grading homework for correctness (as opposed to completion) penalizes students who try but don't understand right away. That's not fair and it's not what education is all about. Grade for correctness on tests and quizzes, but leave the practice work a safe place to make mistakes.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2011

Agreed.

30. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 5, 2011

I agree with Caesar, also. While I "grade" everything, not all of it counts toward a student's grade.

31. queenie

queenie Groupie

Dec 6, 2011

Well this teacher is telling you, "Ain't no assignment worth my sanity."

32. queenie

queenie Groupie

Dec 6, 2011

HOW I wish my daughter's teachers would read this!! WHY give grades on the very first practice????

33. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2011

It depends on what the purpose of the grade is. Are you grading to see if they have mastered the skill at that time, or are they still practicing and you are grading to see if they are actually doing the work and practicing to learn it?

34. AnonyMS

Dec 6, 2011

Okay, so to bounce off of this thread... my own son currently has a low grade in reading (3rd grade). I contacted his teacher to ask what he needs to do to bring up his grade. His teacher said she is not at all worried about his reading skills or mastery, but that I should encourage quality work and effort (at home).

Okay... but... the report card reflects his average and his average is LOW. If she is grading for effort or quality, that's one thing. But that's not what the report card reports. She's basically telling me there's nothing he can do to bring up his grade. Thoughts?

35. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 6, 2011

AnonyMS,

I'm a first year teacher and I am struggling with grading and assessment in general...so what I say may have no value or sense at all whatsoever...but I think effort should be a part of your grade. I have kids in my class who read just fine, but they're getting C's. I have a lot of academic choice in my room as a way to differentiate. They must do one graphic organizer each day, and at least one a week that demonstrates whatever skill we're working on. The other 4 days they have a choice of graphic organizers. Some kids are choosing their leveled books and graphic organizer and STILL not turning much in every week. I can't differentiate for every single kid every second of the day. At some point you gotta hustle and do some work. :dunno: Could you ask for a work sample to see what she has such a problem with? When I started showing empty reader's response notebooks at conferences, parents were pretty understanding.

36. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2011

No, I read that as telling you the student needs to complete more assignments and the work that is done needs to be done with more effort put into to show what the student really does know. It is often that teachers recognize that a student is understanding the material and is showing a gaining knowledge, but the work that is being done and turned in does not always reflect that. The work turned in is the students responsibility. I always have some students who are bright and show an understanding of the material, but due to the actual work turned in, their grades are lower than they really should be.

37. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Dec 8, 2011

As a new teacher I learned fast that I needed a grading system that did not require a ton of time. All of my homework and classwork assignments are checked for completion. I give a 0 if it's not done or only a few answers are given, 5 if it's half done, and 10 if it is complete. While I'm not grading for accuracy, I'm still looking at the assignment. I know when student just wrote anything down, and will make them try the assignment again. Glancing at the assignments gives me enough to know what I need to review again. I have one class of juniors/seniors that will not do any assignment unless it is for a grade. When I'm behind on grading tests, this becomes annoying. Just the other day I gave 3 different assignments each of which my students want a grade for. Even though my students know the grade is just for completion they still try every assignment like I'm grading for accuracy. With my students, it really helps that they are receiving positive grades and the pressure is off. Grading every single assignment for accuracy would be overwhelming. I spend my time grading tests and quizzes for accuracy.