Do you give your students something at end of the year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, May 30, 2011.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 30, 2011

I keep going back and forth on this. I want to give them something to remember the year by, but what??? Ideas?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 30, 2011

I'm high school.

All they get from me is a final exam and wishes for a great summer.

Then again, at last count, I taught something like 360 kids this year.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 30, 2011

What grade?

5. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

May 30, 2011

Your kidding right? On what salary can you get anything for the students? However, just once it would be great if the student's parents said thank you at the end of the year instead.

You can show them a slide show at the end of the year. That is what I do.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 30, 2011

I just found a blog where she made them really cute journals just by decorating the cover of a regular notebook/composition book. She wrote a personalized note to them in the front and gave them a few summer prompts then the rest could be for themselves-I thought that was a sweet and educational gift.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 30, 2011

We'll have an ice-cream sundae party sometimes during the second last week of school and my grade 8 students will get personalized awards.

8. dibba

dibba Rookie

May 30, 2011

A slide-show is a GREAT idea! If you didn't already have pics, I'm sure the kids would love to give you a handful, and it's free other than your time to make it, which wouldn't be too bad if you know how to do it and/or have some good software.

If you have Windows, "Movie Maker" actually isn't bad at all for making slideshows and it's free. Of course there is "better" software, but doubt you want to spend $ if you don't already have it.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 30, 2011

I'm copying off of our speech pathologist and having little "parties" for my groups of students the last week. So on their last day with me, instead of doing a normal lesson we'll have a little "party" instead. I'll probably get some sort of treat and then play games where they can win leftover prize box items (I have tons of small items like pencils and erasers left). I'm not going to buy specific "presents" though. Also, these students will be mine again next year as I'm the only special ed. teacher and I had no 5th graders this year- so it's not really "goodbye."

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 30, 2011

I print pictures taken during the year and we will make scrapbook pages.

11. dibba

dibba Rookie

May 30, 2011

This isn't exactly on-topic, but throughout the year we give our Preschool kids these awesome tee-shirts with our logo splattered across the front of it.

The kids LOVE them, wear them OFTEN, and of course it's "free" advertising for us.

(they cost us about $7.00 each when we buy in bulk)

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 30, 2011

I'm going to slip packets of KoolAid lemonade into the report cards with a handmade tag that says 'Have a Kool Summer':cool:

13. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

May 30, 2011

I'm finishing up the last copies of a slideshow I did for my class. :D

14. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

May 30, 2011

I do a slide show. From the slide show, I print out one picture for each student, put it in a cheap picture frame, and wrap it.

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 30, 2011

I usually have my students make scrapbooks but 1/2 of my class is in foster care this year and they are not allowed to be photographed, so there goes that idea:(

16. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 30, 2011

They are not allowed to be photographed? I went through pride training and do not remember that rule. I also do scrap books for my class.

17. janney

janney Cohort

May 30, 2011

That's cute. I may use that idea this year. :spitwater::thanks:

18. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 30, 2011

I stock up on lots of cheap/free books from Scholastic (with coupons and bonus points). On the last day, I set them all out on the rug and draw names, so each child can pick a book.

I also write a poem about the class, and print out a pretty copy to send home

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 30, 2011

I give my students (high school) a list of books and movies that I recommend they read/see over the summer. I also give them a list of websites to visit if they get bored... Nothing major.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 30, 2011

Last year I bought small binders for each kid. We put their writing throughout the year in this binder. Then I made a table of contents and photocopied their stuff from their portfolios (and put the originals in these binders), photocopied their learning logs from each content area, examples of beginning/mid/end art work, etc. I made a table of contents. At the end I put list of summer learning activities (for parents) and put an individualized personal letter from the teacher for each student. I let them play with their binders the day before we let out. They added a few autograph pages. We read the letters, talked about how neat their growing and learning was, shared samples of their favorite parts, etc. I was basically letting them enjoy themselves as learners, but also getting them ready to share with the parents their joy of what they've learned as well. I think I even put in there what they think they've learned in K, etc. It was a lot of work, but so worth it.

21. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 30, 2011

The slide show is popular, some teachers even burn a copy for everyone in the class.

When I taught 4th....I took a class pic- got 4 by 6 copies of it and then put it in an 8 by 10 frame....I had each student write on a little sticker a positive message to each other student, I collected them all and stuck them around the picture in the frame....it went over really well...the frames were from dollar tree and the pic cost 19 cents each.

In 2nd grade I think all the teachers gave out bubbles...also from dollar tree.

22. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 31, 2011

Early in the year, I had my students each tell me a (an appropriate) song they liked. I burned it to a CD and we play it as a reward for a good clean-up at the end of the day (they work toward it all week. I call it disco clean up.)

So this year, I plan on burning a copy of the CD for each kid.

23. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 31, 2011

This is SUCH a cute idea!

I don't have my own classroom yet, but I had my own after-school class for three years.

The first year (2nd grade) I was very ambitious - I made each kid an 8x10 collage (printed from the computer - I had a program to make easy collages) and wrote them a short little note on the back of the frame - I got the frames at Ikea for cheap.

Second year (4th/5th) I made a slideshow with music (and some video clips at the end) with Windows Movie Maker - we watched it in class, and then they all got a copy. They LOVED it. I just had no idea how long it would take to burn 25 DVDs on my computer...I kinda bit off more than I could chew with that one, haha, but I got it done! I wrote each kid a little letter, too.

Third year (4th/5th) I made a slideshow again...but this time I didn't make copies for them. We just watched it in class - they still loved it. :) I did write each kid a card, though.

Student teaching (6th) I got a 4x6 class picture printed for each kid and put it in a frame (again, Ikea - VERY cheap) - I brought sharpies and foam stickers and they decorated them and signed the backs of each other's frames. They loved it and it was very inexpensive. I wrote SHORT notes on the back of their frames - not the letter or card like I did with my after-school classes - there were 34 students - too many!

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 31, 2011

I assisted a few SLPs at a few schools the last 1/2 of the yr & worked w/ about 130 kids who I saw just 1x a wk mostly for 30 min. However, I still wanted to do something nice, so I got some trinkets from the dollar store where they could pick 1 thing. I got a lot more than I really needed though, so I have a lot left over. I just wanted to give them a good variety of stuff to choose from.

One SLP got her 24 students pizza at one of the schools.

25. tgim

tgim Habitué

May 31, 2011

We bind a book for them with all of their writing in it. I also have them write something positive about each student in our class and then type (or ask a parent - :) I got smart at this busy time of year...) them all up so they each have one. We do the CD thing, too - it's fun to see what songs mean something to them.

26. beanie

beanie Rookie

May 31, 2011

ooh, I will have to keep some of these ideas in the bank for our end of year in December!!

I saw a good one on a website the other day, you get children to write their names on a piece of paper, and pass it to every child in the room. They each write a word to describe the student whose name is on the top of the page. So you should end up with about 20 odd words about that student. Put the students name and the words into wordle, print out, mount and laminate (or frame if cheap enough) and they get a nice reminder of what their peers think of them. If there are double ups, put them in as they will come up larger in Wordle, meaning that more than one person thinks they are funny/caring/thoughtful/friendly etc.

27. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

May 31, 2011

I buy my kindergarteners white t-shirts and let them use a sharpie for the day. They get to sign everybody's t-shirt. They think they are hot stuff. I love seeing the joy on their faces. Do I spend my own money? Yes, sadly i do or it truly wouldn't be from me.

28. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 1, 2011

I gave my students back whatever extra supplies they had brought---as long as there was enough for each student to have one of something, put the extra loose things like pencils, erasers, crayons, glue, whatever, inside a gift bag (the plastic ones with wire ties you get in packages from the Dollar Store) and put it on a pile of extra lined paper or folders or whatever that I extra of...and called it good.

The kids (and parents) were elated and thankful that I sent home the extra supplies they would either use over the summer or next year. Oh, and I just typed up a little note that I attached to the bag that said, "Thank you for a wonderful year with you!"

No expense our of my pocket other than the $1 I spent on the baggies :)

I don't expect to have extra supplies every year, but I couldn't see storing these items for next year that parents bought for their kids this year...and I'll have more coming from kids next year. (If that makes complete sense at all..)

Yes, I'm cheap, frugal, and just didn't feel like splurging. It's a good thing the kids were easy going and loved the extra stuff :)

29. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Companion

Jun 1, 2011

The year my position was cut from the budget after 4 years, I created a poem and gave a copy to each student. We all cried as we read it, word had gotten around that my position was being cut.

30. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Jun 1, 2011

Good grief, Aliceacc, how many periods do you teach??

31. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 1, 2011

I ordered sets of books from Scholastic. I think they ended up being maybe $1.00 each... Only problem was that I could only buy them in sets of ten, and I have 21 students... I ended up buying one copy through my local bookstore as well, which was a little more of course, but cheaper than buying 10 more books.

32. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 1, 2011

I just finished making a slideshow that I will share with the students on the last day. I hope they love it as much as I do.

33. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2011

I love this idea!!! I've been wanting an idea to use wordle!

34. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 1, 2011

I teach first grade and I found 4x6 wooden frames at a craft store on sale for 3/$2.00. I only have 15 students though. I painted all of them white and painted on a small red apple and then wrote their name and year around the apple. I inserted a photo of our class from field day and then let them use sharpies to all sign each other's frames.

35. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 1, 2011

I only have 15 students, so I got them each a bug catching kit from the Dollar Tree- pink and purple for the girls, red and blue for the boys. :p

36. Born2beTeacher

Born2beTeacher Rookie

Jun 2, 2011

We're just having a little party in lieu of a lesson. Probably rent a movie and bring in munchies to snack on (Popsicles if the weather stays warm)

37. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2011

The $1 book from Scholastic a few monts ago was a sequel to one of our read-alouds. I used some of my bonus points to get a copy for each student, and then wrote a personalized note in each of them. I also got some really cute little bookmarks that were 15 cents apiece at the local bookstore.

38. beanie

beanie Rookie

Jun 5, 2011

I have also used Scholastic book boxes to give as end of year gifts - can usually get a book for everyone. I just add some things that I find cheaply through the year on sale racks (last year the girls got jewellery making kits and the boys got super bouncy balls) - we are lucky here though as we can take this sort of stuff out of our classroom budget if we want. I work at a great school....

39. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2011

I don't at the end of the year but I usually bring in chocolate for Christmas, Easter and my birthday.

40. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 5, 2011

LOVE this! To take it a step further, I may take the list and make a wordle out of it, and then frame them.

41. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 5, 2011

I also bought "6th graders rock" pencils when a store near us went out of business. (I teach 5th.)