Do you give your student's #'s or just use their names?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by woobie5, Jun 16, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

Just curious what the pro's and con's are of giving each student a # to label their cubby, mailbox, etc? I'm a new Kindergarten teacher and the teacher before me used #'s and I'm trying to decide if I should leave them up or take them down. I guess it just seems like one extra step if I have to number everything for each student AND put their name there too. HELP!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2009

I didn't do my first two years, but think now it would be so much easier to do....sooooo when I get back into my classroom I'm going to try it.

4. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 16, 2009

I gave them numbers - it is easier with labeling things and being able to reuse the stuff. I didn't put their names on anything though.

5. Irma

Irma Companion

Jun 16, 2009

I started with numbers and then I began using names. Next year, I am switching back to numbers just because I hate making and then taking off every year. With little ones I might be more inclined to use names.

6. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jun 16, 2009

I use numbers and really like using them. :thumb:

Not only does it cut down on having to label things every year, but....
    1. it is easy to put papers into 1-2-3 order and see at a glance who didn't hand theirs in.
    2. it makes it easier to keep track of textbooks, folders, etc. when everything matches to a student's number. Say if a textbk gets left at a center, I know whose it is just by a quick look in the book.
    3. it protects a student's privacy when I need to put their number on the board for any reason. All of us in the classroom do get to know each other's numbers, but anyone coming into the room will not know them.
    4. it makes forming quick groups easy. I can call odds and evens, say, or numbers 1-4, 5-8, etc.
    5. it makes lining up in ABC order a snap and helps me to see at a glance if someone is missing out of line.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2009

I am in 5th and I use numbers. The only downfall is children that move. This year I lost 4 students and gained one the second day of school. At the end of the year, I was missing numbers 7, 9, 10, and 12. I also had a student whose last name started with an N being number 24.

The year before was a huge mess- I had kids coming and going.

But, at the end of the day, it is easier. I don't have to relabel things every year and I can easily figure out if I am missing someone. Another teacher was missing a child on a field trip and it took forever to figure out who it was. I just say 'number order' and I can figure out if I am missing someone in a snap!

8. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jun 16, 2009

I started using numbers this year and love it. I find it is so much easier to label and in my gradebook.

9. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 16, 2009

My school is too transient for numbering. I just stick to names, but I don't label anything so its not a problem.

10. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jun 17, 2009

I subbed in a class that used student numbers and it was easy for me to determine who did not turn in their homework by putting the papers in number order. I added the students numbers to the seating chart to easily identify who did not turn in their work.

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 17, 2009

Numbers are efficient. When you start feeling the helter skelter of all you're required to do you'll look for anything that will make life easier.

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 17, 2009

Numbers.

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2009

All of the above for me too plus I will add...
    6. Easier to add grades to gradebook
    7. Easier for a sub
    8. Easier to figure out who is missing from the room or on a field trip especially if a chaperone does it for you while you attend to some other need.
    9. Works great for confidentiality If soemone else grades for you.
    10. It saves me so much time and added loads of organization to my day.

Since you are teaching such young ones, research will probably tell you to use names as well.

14. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 17, 2009

I have 80 kids so numbers started to become difficult. I am much better with remembering their names. But I know teachers who love numbers and they swear it makes things easier. I guess it's personal preference.

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 17, 2009

yes 80 would be hard.

I run through my class in my head all the time by numbers. It's hard to think of the number without also thinking of the name so it is not like you are referring to your kids as numbers.

A thing I do that saves a lot of time is I number each homework packet that gets sent home on Friday. Then the next friday when they come in, the numbers are on them in the upper right hand corner and I can quickly see who's is missing.

Also, my kids put their names on their papers like this: Ethan #1

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2009

I put ALL my assignments in number order before I grade. This way I know first thing if I am missing something. And, it makes it super-easy when entering things into the gradebook!

17. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 17, 2009

I like that! I must say that even though I had a small class, there were times when I was missing a paper or two & would go bonkers trying to figure out who it was --- particularly for student work that had to be submitted for state requirements.

Always looking for easy, simple ways to managing. :p

18. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 17, 2009

I love using numbers. I number everything. I think it makes things so easy, but every teacher has to try different things and see what works for them.

19. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2009

I used numbers for alot of things but since I taught kindergarten it was supper important to use names too. SO I used both it just depends on what I was doing.

20. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Jun 17, 2009

I use number for the reasons listed in other posts. However, I call them by name in class because the parents would come unglued for me being impersonal.

21. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jun 17, 2009

LOVE numbering my students!! Even if kids move, I just add them to the bottom of the list. :) Works for my kiddos and makes it so much easier for me to record & return papers.

22. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jun 17, 2009

When I taught kinder, I numbered my students. We used the numbering for all kinds of math activities, plus it was easier to account for the students during fire drills, field trips, etc. When I taught 4th grade, I numbered them for attendance, grading, splitting up the class. When I taught 7th/8th grade, I didn't number - just had them write their first and last names legibly on their work & alphabetized them (or had a kid do it).

23. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jun 17, 2009

You are so right! :) The numbers are for organizational reasons only. :)

24. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2009

I did use numbers and was not very good at keeping track of who had which number. It might be partially due to the fact it was a very transient school where I used the numbers. I use names because I could not remember who had which number.

25. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 17, 2009

To be honest, I've used numbers every year except for last school year. I am pretty organized, so I didn't really notice much of a difference between use of numbers vs. use of names. Next year, I think I'll assign a number to each student for classwork and homework purposes only. We'll see how it goes--I like to change things up!

26. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

I so agree. Also, when I am away from my class list I can recall every name using the number system.

27. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Jun 18, 2009

Someone please explain numbering to me. How do you assign them in the beginning of the year, knowing some kids don't show up for school and new kids register.

28. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

For kinder, I would wait a week or so to get to know the kids, then number them. Since they would line up in # order, so I wanted certain students separated, someone responsible in the front and at the end, etc.
    In 4th grade, I did it alphabetically. I had 6 students join my class after the others were numbered, so I just tacked them on at the end.

29. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

I use numbers. They work great for lost stuff, lining up, filing and grading papers.

I read a great book that had tons of ways to use the numbering system, especially for teachers with rotating groups.

Each group was given a color- Let's say first period was red. The student number 1 in first period was R-1.
    Second period was orange 0-1.
    All of the handouts for the day were in a folder that corresponded to the color (first period was in a red folder. The turn in bins were the same color. Very efficient and organized!
    I think the book is called "the New Classroom Management".
    It had great ways for giving student numbers and how to deal with transient students (I just add them on to the end of the numbering so it matches up with my grade record book).

30. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

I wait until the second week when it seems that things have settled. There is a high rate of transiency at my school, so there always ends up being an empty slot or two. I just add a new student onto the end and odds and evens tend to come out even. It is very nice for PE- odds versus evens.

31. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

In that case, as I got new students, they would just go to the end. So the 12 or so that were with you all year, kept their numbers. I have big 12 by 12 inch cubbies in the back of my room each cubbie is number 1-24 I only had 19 kids so the last ones kept clip boards and extra homework pages as well as a cubbie for me to get everything the kids got. During the year I lost number 4 and then number 7. What I did was tape a big red piece of paper over the openings to those cubbies so kids who passed out papers knew to skip them. In my grade book I just drew lines. I would never dream of renumbering. If you had a not very transient school, I guess you could reassign a number but I still think it would be better to add it to the end.

Something a third grade teacher does is number her kids like this 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. She likes the space that is left between names in her grade book. So her numbers go to 42.

32. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 18, 2009

txteachermom2-that's just what I do. The numbers are mostly an organizational help for me, but the kids like having their own number.

33. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Jun 19, 2009

I had never thought to use numbers, but the pre-k teacher before me used them on their toothbrushes and nap cots. It was so funny how the kids would know their number and help me find their toothbrush and put it back in it's numbered spot. They started to recognize other kids' numbers as well, which I thought was good, since I was supposed to teach them numbers. I used their names and pictures on some things, like the birthday chart, cubby, and bulletin board for their artwork.