Do you give your students Christmas gifts?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Nov 23, 2010.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 24, 2010

Steal away at the coupon book! I'd even email you my coupons if you PM me your email address.

I like the hot chocolate/gingerbread cookies (although I'd do sugar because I'm not a fan of gingerbread). That would also be cheap and easy...hot chocolate was on sale at the store for a dollar a box of 12...

2. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 24, 2010

There is always snowman, reindeer, penguin, etc. poop. It's cute with the little poem and inexpensive!

3. greengables

greengables Rookie

Nov 24, 2010

I buy plain ornaments and write their name and the year to give them along with a small box of crayons.

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 24, 2010

Well, I teach 5th grade, and these were the top winners for me:
    Battleship
    Connect Four
    Uno (card game)
    Guess Who
    Apples to Apples
    Trouble
    Checkers
    Outburst Jr.

I found a cheap! air hockey game I bought for my son for Christmas one year. He outgrew it-and I took it to school. My 5th graders STILL line up to have air hockey competitions!
    I try to stay away from games that are too involved-Monopoly, Life, etc. With only a half hour, they take too long.
    Good luck!

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 24, 2010

Jenga is another popular game. I bought a Mancala game and my kids love it. They also love playing with my Knex. I bought a simple Lego set for the room, because I used Legos as an example of something and got nothing but a blank stare. Finally one kid raised their hand and said "What???" That led to a blanket of "What's that? I've never heard of them." Crazy!

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 24, 2010

I always give a book or two (yes from Scholastic... the usually have them $1 or sometimes even send me free ones). I usually give a candy cane or something sweet too and a home made card - that's it! :)

7. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 24, 2010

I teach high school, so things are a little different for me. But, I give all of my kids Christmas pencils and make a Christmas treat for them. I do chocolate dipped pretzels or something like that. I also have about 65 kids, so I have to go cheap to cover everyone.

8. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Nov 24, 2010

I usually give them a book (this year I got some free ones, so it'll be two), sometimes a pencil, sometimes a simple bookmark I make with their name on it.

9. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Nov 24, 2010

Every year I order personalized pencils with my students' names imprinted on them for Christmas. I found them on forteachersonly.com. They LOVE them and it eliminates pencil problems for a while :O)

Someone asked about board games..... my 4th graders LOVE Don't Break the Ice, it is the number one they want to play. I have tons of decks of cards and I always teach the kids how to play Spoons, another big-time favorite. They also enjoy Boggle, Yahtzee, and puzzles.

10. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Nov 25, 2010

Just bought some pencil sharpeners, bookmarks and pencil grips online at Oriental Trading. They are going to be pretty happy. I usually just go w/ a book/pencil, but I have a soft spot for my class this year. I had over half of them last year as I moved up w/ them. :)

11. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Nov 25, 2010

Help

We're lucky in that our local Rotary club gives us new books every year to distribute to our students. I just add a personalized card. It saves me the time and money involved in shopping.

12. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 25, 2010

Totally off topic, but isn't Spoons a drinking game? It's been many years, but I feel like maybe I played it in my college years! I'm not sure I would teach my kids that game (even without the drinking, lol).

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 25, 2010

14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 25, 2010

Any game can be made into a drinking game.
    I played spoons as a child and LOVED it!

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 25, 2010

We always have a half day on Dec 24th...crazy I know!
    That morning we have hot cocoa, read & watch Polar Express, and make necklaces with a jingle bell.