Do you give to...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by BookReader813, Nov 1, 2013.

1. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Nov 1, 2013

...your college's alumni association?

I just got off the phone with mine. Every year around this time they call and ask for money, and it's always the same awkward conversation about how I have no money to give them. :lol:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2013

Lol...NO.

I graduated in May and immediately started grad classes, but despite paying for that out of pocket they sure did call regularly to "update records...and oh by the way, would you like to give [us even more of your] money?"

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2013

I go to reunions and patronize the bookstore when I go. That's about it...I recently put two kids thru college and am still paying for that.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 1, 2013

I don't. In college one of my education professors frequently joked that the problem with the education department was that we didn't have wealthy alumni like many of the other departments. The nice thing for me is that my university only has my parent's home telephone number and not my cell...which they quit calling once they figured out I really didn't live there :). Even if I had extra money to donate it, personally I think there are a lot of other things I'd give to first.

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2013

I don't, but always feel guilty because...
    That was my job my first year in college - calling alumni and asking for donations. It was a horrible, awful job! But I could walk there from the dorms, it payed decent, and you got a free meal coupon for every shift you worked.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2013

Nope... the college got a lot of my money....

8. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Nov 1, 2013

As soon as I graduated with my bachelor's degree, they were hitting me up for donations. I'm like, "Uh, I just graduated, and you want me to donate $100? I don't even have a job yet." Three years later, I still have no decent paying job for my degree!

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2013

I hate those phone calls! Mine literally ask me for $200, then $100, then $50, then $25. I tell them from the beginning that I have no extra money and they keep going with a different number. They probably count on people not wanting to turn them down that many times.

10. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Nov 1, 2013

I do. I would give even more if I could.

11. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Nov 1, 2013

I don't. I agree with an earlier post that even if I had the money to give, I would have other things I would give to first.

12. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 2, 2013

My dad gets letters twice a year from one the community college he graduated from in the mid 70s.

They somehow have his address even though he now lives in NJ (the college was in NY)

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 2, 2013

I do, I give $10 every year. It's not much but I know it looks better for the college the higher their percentage of alumni give so I like helping. They have never asked for more than the $10 when I say $10.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2013

When I had extra money, I gave each year. But the last few years, there hasn't been any extra. They call this time of year... and the booster club starts calling in January.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 2, 2013

I have caller ID, and I don't pick up the phone when I see it is from the college.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2013

Me neither.... I hate it because they usually call at dinner time!!!

I have only gotten calls from the university, not the community college!!!

17. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Nov 2, 2013

I have caller ID, too, but they've been calling me from a really weird number and not leaving a message. Finally, I answered it yesterday. Now, I know which weird number they're using, and I won't answer it!

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 2, 2013

I never really understood why they needed the money. My college, when I attended years ago charged $25,000 a year (I didn't pay that because my very smart mother got a job there so my sister and I both attended for free). So no, I don't give. As a matter of fact, I haven't gotten that call in a while, maybe they gave up on me. ;)

19. live

live Companion

Nov 2, 2013

They already have plenty of my money! So nope.

Like a couple of other people have said, my donations go elsewhere.

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2013

No. If they've called I don't know about it because I normally don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number.

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 2, 2013

I went to college with KinderCowgirl. I do make a small but reasonable annual donation, but it goes directly to the school's radio station during their pledge week. It's the place where I learned the most on a non-academic level, and I continued to volunteer there until I moved away.

22. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 2, 2013

I don't give to anyone right now except our school fundraisers. I would donate directly the English Ed program if I donated. I'd donate to my sorority first though.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 2, 2013

No and I don't feel bad or guilty kindly saying no. I'm still in school now!

24. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Nov 6, 2013

Only to my alma mater I attended for grad school. I have the most ties there and want to contribute to the legacy.

25. allyroad

allyroad Guest

Nov 7, 2013

Would if I could. :)

26. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Nov 7, 2013

I do! DH also gives two checks yearly; one to his undergrad university, the other to his medical school. He had been doing that before we married though. My donating is a recent thing.

I'm grateful for my education and to my alumni. I have the money and I don't mind paying it forward :) Contributing is important to me and DH as well.

27. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 7, 2013

No way. I went to a private school for undergrad - they are getting PLENTY of money from their exorbitant tuition and extremely wealthy donors. :rolleyes:

I don't give to my grad school either because I'm still paying for that... (loans...)

I've never felt guilty for a second. They get PLENTY of money from other places.