Do you give summer homework?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LMichele, May 4, 2014.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

May 4, 2014

I was thinking of creating a summer packet for my students, which would be optional. I'd send a note home saying that they can choose to do all, some, or none, and that there would be some sort of treat for those who work on it.

I was going to include a journal with different topics printed on the top of each page (vacation, day trip, camp, rainy day at home, family time, play dates, etc.) and spots for pictures/drawings; a reading log; a 2nd grade math review packet; reading comp from ReadWorks.org (they just released summer reading books you can print) Again, it's optional.

I also really want to encourage students to e-mail me about their summer with pictures, and hopefully this cane be my first bulletin board that would be all set up for the first day.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 4, 2014

Yes, I send work for my kids, and I send work for the kids rising for me. Since my kids skip a year for math, they desperately need review and practice on some skills. It becomes their first grade of the new year, and the students are told it is not optional.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 4, 2014

I've had a couple of parents ask, so I'll have to put something together. I'm still deciding how to go about it. Since I have kids at so many different levels, I'd have to make at least 15 different packets, and that seems like a lot of work when I know a great majority won't touch it.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 4, 2014

No, I absolutely don't. I let the parents know about reading contests in the area or online (like Scholastic's) and I give them a piece of stationary and a self-addressed envelope encouraging them to write me and if they do I'll write back. I keep our blog up so they can practice writing to each other or to me. But there's nothing required.

I think by now parents know what they need to work on and could pick up a cheap workbook at Wal-mart if they want them to practice over the summer.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 4, 2014

I would never require summer work, but I do what has been suggested already which is let families know about learning opportunities in my last newsletter.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 4, 2014

Absolutely not.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 4, 2014

Nope. No way.

My old school did some reading competitions for the summer, and they were supposed to post on a forum. Many of my students participated, but I would never waste my time and paper on something that I know few would do.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 4, 2014

My district has required reading with a written assignment due the first day of school beginning with rising 6th graders. Since I teach fifth, I give them the assignment, but I blame the fact they have to do it in the middle school teachers. :)

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 4, 2014

I give a summer pack...I don't want it back, neither does Next years teacher, but for motivated kids (and their parents), it's a bit of independent practice to hopefully hold back summer loss.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 4, 2014

I started a journal last week that will end up having about 6 weeks worth of journal entries and be 1/3 full. I am going to send it home with a note to encourage journaling over the summer. I will also send an email the last week of school with websites where they can play games or print work to review. I'm not going to waste the paper making packets they won't do. This way, the motivated parents can print what they want to. I've been thinking I may offer a reward for bringing back a full journal like a free book (I usually have a stack of duplicates from scholastic or buy a few extra $1 books when I see them to use as a reward).

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 4, 2014

We would send workbooks that may not have been completed home. Could you suggest a local reading program through public library most have them!

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 4, 2014

Have you ever had parents specifically ask for packets? How did you respond to them? I agree that I don't want to waste the time/paper on something most won't do, but I've already had 4 parents specifically ask for a summer packet. I was thinking of maybe making packets for those that asked and then giving a list of websites to everyone, but what if someone who didn't think to ask is offended that I made packets for other kids but not for theirs?

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 4, 2014

I know on my end of the year newsletter I listed some websites that students could use. I even put this on there...
    PLEASE REFRESH YOUR STUDENT’S SKILLS FROM TIME TO TIME THIS
    SUMMER!!!
    It will make going into ___ grade easier for them and for you!!!!

HAVE FUN!!!

15. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 4, 2014

Gen ed kids have a summer packet that is mandatory and is collected by the following year's teacher. There are no requirements for self-contained students so while I gave summer work last year, it was minimal and I told them it wasn't mandatory.

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 4, 2014

Nope!

I send home books hoping they will read and I leave our class website up so they can practice math skills. I take a break from work and the kids should enjoy their summer, too.

17. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

May 4, 2014

If you don't want to waste paper and time making copies. Create a list of websites that offer free summer packets. Then the parents can pick what they want and print as needed. Last year I had half my parent asking for summer work, and many of them left them on the table as they filed out after the meeting.

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 4, 2014

If my child was required to do homework for a grade in the new year, you can bet I would be visiting the P.
    I refuse to obligate my parents to make work over the summer mandatory.

Like others, I have always encouraged students to practice their skills over the summer.

19. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

May 4, 2014

I make my kids (my own biological children) do work over the summer but its not teacher required, its mommy required.

They love reading and showing off what they know. So they do their "school work" the same time I'm working on next year's lesson plans. They also help me try out a few labs I'm thinking about integrating in my class next year.

Personally I would love it if their teachers sent home summer packets. It saves me the trouble of making them. However, most of my kids teachers send the left over books that they didn't complete and my kids work on them. Then we go to the bookstore and pick out an inexpensive workbook for the next grade level for them to work on over the summer.

20. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 4, 2014

I send information home to parents about reading, and I encourage students to use the websites I have linked on my classroom webpage.

Last summer I sent home a packet that had a review activity for each day. It was really simple, and a great review. I found it on Teachers Pay Teachers. It was optional, and I told them they could bring it back to me next year for a treat (a sucker and a smencil). A few kids brought it back.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 4, 2014

Never. In the district I used to work in, they would have a fit if something was sent home. They had a fit over 15 minutes of homework.

And, honestly, the ones that will do it are the ones that really don't need it. So why bother? (I just mean it seems wasteful in several ways. I hate wasting paper!)

22. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

May 5, 2014

I work in a very unstable area, slightly more than half of the kids who are in my class this year won't be back next year, and the ones who do wouldn't do it anyway, so no. Nothing is assigned.
    That's not to say that I haven't had parents and students request. In that case, I usually give them the addresses of public libraries, applications for library cards, and say that that's best thing to do for summer homework.

23. teach1

teach1 Companion

May 5, 2014

My old school had a summer packet for each grade level. It wasn't mandatory, but it was encouraged. Most of the packet was just journal pages. One journal entry could be about a special day, or a vacation, or anything for that matter (some children did short book reviews). A small section for a photo or a drawing. The packet included about 10 pages. If parents wanted more pages, I would send the pdf file to them via e-mail.

If you are having parents request work, I think something like this would be fairly simple to whip up :)

24. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 5, 2014

We only give summer work in our AP and other advanced classes.

25. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 5, 2014

When I was an elementary student, I loved getting summer work. High school, not so much. :D

26. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 5, 2014

One of our teachers has offered for a few years to pick out an appropriate review workbook from the teacher supply store for interested parents who send in money (she gives them an approximate cost). I've told kids that if they finish their handwriting workbook (we never get all the way through), that I'll give them a treat. I also give a list of websites and activity suggestions.

27. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

May 7, 2014

Never. I teach high school, so that might make a difference. I also refuse to give homework during Christmas break and Spring break. It is a break....I need it, they need it.

28. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 7, 2014

We have school-wide required summer reading. Three books, a one-page outline for each book, and we try to pick high-interest books. We don't want to kill them or torture them - we just want them to keep reading over the summer!