Do you give out your home #...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blessedhands, Nov 20, 2008.

1. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Nov 20, 2008

I did the stupidest thing once by giving my home #. Lord have mercy! I couldn't stop getting calls from the parent: "Ms. does Juan needs to have homework # 1 or 2 done? I don't understand why Juan got a C. Explain this and that to me please so I can tell Juan. Did Juan misbehave in school today?"

Oh how I have learnt my lesson.:mad:

Do you give out your home #, mobile, or email address to parents and students? If so, had any bad/good experiences with any of the point of contacts?

I would give out my email address ONLY and only in extreme circumstances, I would issue my mobile to the parent.

3. teacherstudent1

teacherstudent1 Companion

Nov 20, 2008

My home phone is listed, so they could find it if they wanted, I suppose. But we generally don't answer our ground line; we just use it for voicemail.

I sometimes give out my cell phone number, but judicially. And I always check caller ID before I answer. I haven't had any problems, yet, but I do wonder sometimes if it is wise to do so.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2008

Nope- I would never do that!
    A teacher on my grade level does and is always griping about parents calling her. But, she gives it out every year!

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2008

No, but it wouldn't be hard to find. Parents use the school email, which I check frequently. Actually, at the high school level, there isn't all that much parent contact.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 20, 2008

I do give out my cell phone number; however, I use technology to it's fullest. I have all the parent numbers programmed into my phone and in a group that goes directly to voice mail except during certain hours of the day. I also have all of my other numbers grouped and each group has a different ring tone. When I DO allow parent phone calls to come through, I know immediately that it's a parent. If they're calling from a different number, I hear the ringtone for the unkown number, and those calls I usually ignore until I'm ready to listen to the voice mail.

Most of my parents aren't very involved in their children's lives, so even without the groupings, I don't think I'd get bothered much.

7. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Nov 20, 2008

This is exactly what I do as well. Additonally, parents have my work email, which I check on a regular basis.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 20, 2008

I'd NEVER in a million yrs give out my home # and I've never had to do it yet, but I don't really want to give out my email address either...work nor home, because the parents will just email you 20 times a day & expect a response at the end of the day.

Sometimes, I wish they didn't even know my real name so they can look up personal info.

9. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Nov 20, 2008

We have lists of teachers' numbers that all the students have access to. I'll sometimes get a text from a student with something silly or from someone who wants me to guess who it is. The novelty usually wears off very fast. With everything on call display it's pretty hard to hide or be hidden, so anonymous pranks like the ones my friends and I used to play on our teachers back in the days before call display don't happen.

A few weeks ago I was at school on a Saturday afternoon getting some work done, and ordered a pizza. I was the only teacher in the staff room and a couple of students who were also at school must have seen the pizza man going to the staff room because a minute later I got a text 'Have you had lunch?'. I responded with 'I just ordered something' and they replied with 'We're hungry' so I told them 'yeah, I get the hint - you can come down to the staff room and have some'.

10. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Nov 20, 2008

I barely even know my home phone because I only use it for my cable. I only give out my school e-mail and my school cell number and I've misplaced the school cell phone... But I check my school e-mail extremely often and reply very quickly

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2008

I did when I was coaching Speech and Debate.

We would have to meet at school EARLY-- normally before 7 am on a Saturday. If a kid got sick, I needed to know so that we didn't sit there waiting for someone who wasn't going to show.

Of course, that was before e-mail.

Now we have an unlisted number. There's no longer any reason for a student to know my number.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2008

I give out my number to some parents whom I have lots of contact with (PTA, room parents, volunteer, etc.) They also can contact me through my school or home email. I have never had any problems because I screen calls. As with any call, if it is important enough, they will leave a message and I reply at my leisure. I have several medically fragile children and we need to know if an important health concern arises. Those are the parent calls I will take on a regular basis.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2008

I have never given out my phone numbers (although my home number is listed and could be easily looked up, no one ever has). My school email address is well-known; most of our communication is done via phone at school, though--email is not our preferred method of communicating with parents.

14. frogger

frogger Devotee

Nov 21, 2008

No never - It's annoying enough to have the needy whiny parents calling at school whenever they want to and have to deal with them then but not when I am not there...oh no way!

15. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 21, 2008

No way! I only have a cell phone (no land line) and it is unlisted. I don't want parents taking up my minutes with their questions outside the school day. They can call me at the school. I have given out my other school number (since I go between two schools) but I haven't had anyone use it. (I did that when someone was pressing me for a home number... no way I was giving that!)

I have given out my e-mail address to parents though (school e-mail)... at least then I have control over when I can answer their questions. If I feel like it, I can do it in th evening, or I can wait until I get to work the next day.

16. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 21, 2008

I do not give out my number and I am not listed. I do give out my school email which only some parents use. Most try and talk to me before/after school.

17. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 21, 2008

My daughter attends school in the district where I teach. We are a very small district (three elementary schools and a junior high), and the PTO puts together a directory of all of the families in the district - addresses, phone numbers, email addresses. They've been doing this for years as a way for parents to easily have contact information for their children's classmates to set up playdates, etc. The ONLY reason I'm in the directory is because of my daughter. Normally teachers' information is not in there. In the three years I've been in the directory, not a single parent has called me at home on school business.

18. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2008

I gave out my phone number years ago and since then...NEVER AGAIN! I had only one parent contact me and they (both of them) were a big pain who could not believe their little Johnny could do no wrong. UGH!!!!

My parents can call me at the school; and if I call them from my phone, I ALWAYS dial *67 before the number...it shows up private on their end.

And I do not give out my email address; though I have one made up for school...but I have never given it out...I may check that email address once every 6 months; haha.

I have a post office box, but then I don't give out my address either.

19. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Nov 21, 2008

I always give out my home phone number. I want parents to know I'm available for them. Yes, that means I get calls at home, but they're not excessive. I also give out my email, that is my preferred method for staying in touch with parents.

20. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 21, 2008

We don't have a choice about email addresses. All teachers and aides in my district have school email addresses, and we are expected to check them at least once each day. Most of us check them more often, as this is the preferred method of widespread communication in the building.

I am glad parents can email me with questions. It has cut down on the number of phone calls I need to make.

21. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 21, 2008

I have had that problem before too. I had a crazy parent call about problems her child was having on SATURDAY NIGHT once... um, hello? Am I allowed a day off? She also called me on SUNDAY mornings.

I did have a parent who didn't have e-mail access and she would call me once in awhile and I didn't mind.

I do put my cell phone number on the first letter of the year, but I don't have it regularly posted and it's not available in our school directories. Most families don't keep that first letter of the year, so it's fine and since doing that I have not had a phone call in three years. Oh, I also put my cell phone number of the field trip info I give the parent chaperones (in case of a problem) but that has never resulted in a phone call either.

My parents do email me a lot though. We also have to check our email every day and have a 2 day response time to e-mails. I keep my parents up to date w/ a weekly letter (on the website) and that solves a lot of problems. I am an email addict.

22. westcoastbetsy

westcoastbetsy New Member

Nov 21, 2008

I suggest giving out an email address, and specify that it is for one or two time use only...If anyone takes advantage, you can always change the address or just speak individually to the student/parent.

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 21, 2008

Because of my unusual teaching situation, I'm reachable at home all the time. I encourage my kids and their parents to contact me whenever needed. However, after the time one of my students called me after 11pm, I started to turn off the ringer before going to bed.

24. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 21, 2008

I am in a small town (1200 people) and we are in the phone book so if they really want my phone number, they can get it. I make it a practice not to make school calls during my time at home because I don't want them to call me at home. I do, occassionally, get those stupid calls. "Uhhh, Ms. B, are we doing book work tomorrow, I'm not going to be there." I had a parent call the other night and read me the five page letter her son sent from boot camp. He was a student last year. Thought I would never get her off the phone.

25. Happy Chatter

Happy Chatter Rookie

Nov 21, 2008

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 21, 2008

My landline phone is listed, and there are only three people in the entire county with our last name. It's not hard to find. However, I have Caller ID and keep the answering machine on all the time. If I don't know the number, I let the machine get it. Sometimes DH will get it and tell them that I don't take school calls at home.

I don't give anyone my cell number except my friends and family. I have a prepaid phone that I rarely use, and I'm not using my minutes for that.

I have a school email address that I do give to parents. However, I only answer before school, during planning, or sometimes right after school.

27. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Nov 21, 2008

I would never give out my home or cell number..we have an unlisted number because of my husband's job (he's a chiropractor and doesn't want patients calling him at all hours), but it is convenient for me too. All the parents have my school email address, and I wish more would contact me that way...I find it very convenient since we don't have phones in our classrooms.

My sister teaches high school and has had students look her up in the phone book and call her...though usually they are calling asking for help on homework or when they are studying for a test. She doesn't live in the town she teaches in, so it doesn't happen often.

28. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Nov 21, 2008

i give out my email to everyone, just that though

29. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Nov 21, 2008

NEVER

ever would I give out my home phone number. Never have and never will. Consider it a good lesson learned.

30. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Nov 21, 2008

I put out my cell phone number because I ran an ad in the paper advertising my car detailing business on the side. Many of the kids from school copied it down and it's no big deal. It's a small town and they respect me, so I haven't had to deal with mid-morning phone calls.

I get texts every once in awhile, and for me, I really don't mind. If someone has a question about an assignment after school and they want to text me about it, I don't care. If it ever would get out of hand I'd just get a new number.

31. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Nov 21, 2008

I have, on occasion, given my home/cell numbers to parents in some special circumstances, but this is rare, and they ended up not using them anyway.

Also, one time when we had a field trip, I gave my cell number to a parent who was meeting us there. He wasn't exactly sure when he'd arrive, and we were taking a tour in a large area, so this way he could call me and I could tell him exactly where we were.

Generally, however, I am only available by my classroom phone or email.

32. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Nov 22, 2008

No, I don't give out any personal information. The main reason being I'm single. I'm at school long enough each day they can call me there or email at my school email address. A friend of mine will give her number then complain when they call all the time....I just laugh at her.

33. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 22, 2008

I always gave out my home number. I didn't always answer, though; that's what technology is for. I checked my school email at home at least once before I went to bed, and if it was important, I answered. The thing is, most home-calls from students and parents AREN'T important; it's just a nagging power thing. Or a pathetic attention thing, and I'm not impressed by needy people.

34. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2008

I used to but I don't any more. I didn't mind the kids calling, but I started to resent the fact that the parents seemed to think I was supposed to be on-call 24 hours a day for their child.

35. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Nov 22, 2008

On very rare occasions, I'll give my cell # out to a parent with whom I've become friends. For instance, I had a parent email me when my son was out very sick for a week at Halloween. The email just said call me. I called her from home which I was hesitant to do, but she is a great parent. She told me she was taking over the Halloween party since I wouldn't be there and asked what else I needed. Within an hour, she was at my house with Sprite for my son because he couldn't stop throwing up long enough for me to run to the store.

I worked at a private school where we were required to give out our home numbers. I totally did not agree. I ended up raising a child over the phone that year. His mom said I was the only person he would listen to, so when he got in trouble at home, she would call me. Never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 22, 2008

That's very smart. I use technology to its fullest, also. I do give out my cell phone number, and only last year was it honestly a problem. This year, I haven't received many calls. The parents trust me, and we always write notes back and forth in the agenda. I know when something can carry too far, also.

37. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 22, 2008

No, never. I've had to call parents on my cell in a bind because I have no home phone. I hate when I have to do that, because for some reason my cell won't let me *67 before I call, so I'm taking a risk if they have caller ID. So far so good :)

38. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2008

My parents have my work email. I also have a voice mail at work they can call 24/7. After I had the parent who ran a background check on me (and threatened to kill me, and knew all kinds of personal info about me)- it makes me nervous!

39. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Nov 22, 2008

I give out my cell phone as I do not have a land line, but I told my students that it is to be used for homework help (not page numbers etc.) or emergencies, their parents may use it to schedule conferences, but not to discuss students.

40. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Nov 22, 2008

I do every year, but I work in a private school and it has only been abused a couple of times. Twice I have had to write a blurb in a newsletter home reminding that my number is for parents and for important calls only (had a couple of students call to chat , or say hi or ask a question on the homework) but that always works for me.