Do you give homework choices?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CFClassroom, Jul 19, 2011.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2011

I am thinking about seriously redoing my homework system this year. Does anyone provide the students with a menu or with choices of sorts? How has your experience been?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2011

I have a choice board for spelling HW. The kids love being able to choose their own work.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 19, 2011

I also do choice for spelling, but not for math.

5. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 19, 2011

I did a choice board for spelling one year during second semester only. I hated it. First of all it was a nightmare to grade. Secondly and more upsetting was that the kids who didn't do well, didn't put any effort into their spelling even though they got to choose the activity. Scores did not improve at all. Also no one chose anything but the 'easiest' choices; not one student chose to write sentences or a story.

I went back to assigning 3x's each, sentences, and book pages as homework each night. The students know what is expected each week. Everybody turns in the same thing at the same time which is much easier to grade. In addition, I can assign specific skills to the sentences (compound, fig. language, etc.). Works for me.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2011

Maybe it's a difference of grade level, Lynn? I think my kids are more motivated because they make the choice on how to practice their spelling. My kids test grades in spelling are really good and everyone made good growth over the year in spelling abilities....;)

7. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 19, 2011

Absolutely. It could have just been that group of kids; a different group might thrive. I probably won't try it again, but I definitely see your point.

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2011

I sometimes use a tic-tac-toe board for spelling, and I have it set up so that they have to do the center square (writing their words 3x each). Then, it's set up so every option they have includes at least one writing activity. That way, there aren't necessarily 'easier' choices, just different ones.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2011

I've used tic-tac-toe for spelling. They had to do 3 in a row. I had it set up that no matter how they did it, there was a writing component. The homework was worth 15 points, 5 pts./activity.

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 19, 2011

I use a spelling menu. There are 3 choices each day -- an easy one, a harder one, and one on the computer. Obviously, if they don't have a computer with internet access, they only have 2 choices.

I don't care which choice they pick, so long as they are actively engaged in spelling activities. I've found that many do more than one activity (even though they don't get any extra credit for it) and most like to have some variety each week.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

When I taught fifth grade, I also did tic tac toe for spelling. I mixed it around each month and made sure that no three "easy" activities were grouped together. They always had to pick the middle box, so I organized the activities around it so that they had the "fun" activity in the middle with one "harder" and one "easier". The kids liked it and it was pretty easy to grade.

12. MsVanillawafer

MsVanillawafer Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

Does anyone have an example of this?

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2011

Ms.Vanilla, it looks something like this: center square write each spelling word 3xs each. Left top corner, use each word in a correct sentence, top middle, write the spelling words in ABC order, Right top corner, Write a story using at least x number of spelling words. Left bottom corner, Rainbow write each word 3xs each, middle bottom, make a comic strip using x number of words, right bottom, write a synonym for each of the spelling words.

Google tic tac toe spelling to come up with ideas.

14. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 19, 2011

I have allowed the students to choose a specific homework assignment based on a class vote or graph. However, like a previous poster said, the grading issue would be huge if everyone was doing a different assignment each night. I like giving the kiddos a choice once in awhile, I just like having some control over their choices. :)

15. juliechsa

juliechsa Rookie

Jul 20, 2011

I give choice in math. There is the regular assignment of say #1-15 and then the optional assignment that might be #6-20. Our book puts the problem solving application problems at the end. So they have the same number of problems, but the optional one has more higher level thinking.

I've also done choice on writing assignments. Usually in social studies, when they can choose the writing product or viewpoint of the piece.

My daughter had spelling tic-tac-toe two years ago and hated it. It might have been because they had to do it in addition to textbook pages though!

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 20, 2011

I think I'm in the minority on this one, but I never give homework choices. The homework I assign is non-negotiable.

I am, however, very flexible in other areas! :)