Do you get told you look young for your age?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jul 5, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 5, 2011

Today I was helping my elderly neighbor and she told me I look so young etc. I m wearing summer clothes so I know Im dressed casually! I told her I take good care of my skin. I do feel like my face hasnt changed much since early 20s and Im 31! Im learning to accept that as a compliment becaude I know.mentally Im that much more mature than early 20s..

3. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

Jul 5, 2011

It's not a compliment for me, yet.. but I'll appreciate it soon :)

"Oh! Mrs. KP! I thought you were a student... I was about to yell at you for being in the computer lab!" Hardy har har :p

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2011

Yes, thank goodness! Most people don't guess I'm in my late 50s. Thanks to oily skin, I still don't have wrinkles, and thanks to my hairdresser, I still don't have gray hair--at least, not so you'd notice. ;)

5. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 5, 2011

One time when I was a HS pe sub a staff person walked in and adked where the teacher was or someth like that lol. ..it was brief but I dont look that young!

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2011

All the time! I'm either mistaken for a junior high student, sometimes high school, or early college student, depending on what I'm wearing. And, since I tend to wear a lot of skinny jeans and tank tops, I'm usually mistaken either as a high schooler or young college kid. I don't care. In fact ,the older I get, the better it feels to be mistaken as one. :D

When I first started subbing, and heck, even when I taught in my own classes, whenever someone who is not familar with our school comes into my room, they ALWAYS ask where the teacher is at, sometimes even asking me. :rolleyes:

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 5, 2011

A neighbor told me I looked like a college student when I was wearing a waem winter hat...she also works on a college campus but she isnt much older than me! Its funny when people have the urge to say something and youre not sure how to respond....like today I said its because I take care of my skin...

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 5, 2011

This was a problem for me for decades! When my grandmother gave me a ring for graduation and I took it to the jeweler to be sized, he asked if it was for my Bat Mitzvah (13 instead of the 18 I was). Now, at 39, I'm happy to be mistaken for a decade younger but with the wisdom that comes with time.

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2011

That oily skin that seemed like a curse when I was younger, really makes a difference now in my late 40s. I've noticed the oil decreasing as I age. I can't imagine how dry my skin would feel (and maybe look) if I didn't have that extra oil.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2011

At the very beginning of the school year I had to go to one of the high schools in our district for a meeting. I got detained in the office because they thought I was a student coming back late from lunch. I had to go through several people before they finally were convinced that I wasn't a student. Our staff goes to happy hour every Friday and I'm always the only one that gets carded. I am the youngest person, so I guess it sort of makes sense, but I just think it's funny- like why would some random underage person be hanging out with a bunch of teachers? People have always guessed I'm much younger but I don't really mind. I figure I'll appreciate it when I'm older!

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 5, 2011

My mom tells me that my oily skin will be a blessing in the long-run. She, too, has oily skin but looks about 15 years younger than she actually is (I should mention, though, that she takes really good care of herself).

I'm almost 30 but most people think I'm in my early 20s. When I'm dressed up for work, though, people always know I'm the teacher because I wear a shirt and tie.

The other day, a salesman came to my door at home and said, "Oh..are your parents home?" I said, "Umm...I'm the homeowner, actually."

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2011

I get told I act young for my age. Especially from my wife.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2011

I could have passed for my early 20's from the time I started high school. From age 12 to age 31, I was the same height and within 10 pounds of the same weight. No matter what age in that span, people guessed me to be around 24, maybe 25.

Then I was sick for over a year, and my looks changed considerably. My hair, weight, skin, and even face structure changed . . . a lot. People no longer thought I was young, and one person even asked if I was DH's MOTHER!

Fortunately, the trend has reversed as I've started feeling better. Most people now guess me in my early 30's, which isn't too bad for someone almost 41.

14. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 5, 2011

I never knew that people thinking I'm 10 years younger than I actually am was thanks to my oily skin! :dunno: I won't complain anymore.

15. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 5, 2011

I'm in my early twenties but people still think that I am a high schooler all the time. I'm married and I still get carded for rated-R movies and I've watched 14 year olds not get carded!

16. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 5, 2011

Same-

I get excited when I don't get carded at a bar.....

17. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 6, 2011

I still get carded from time to time, but for the most part, I think I look my age. Prior to having kids of my own I looked super young for my age.

18. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 6, 2011

People typically think I am 10-15 years younger than my actual age. I've got a boyish face with very smooth skin and my hair is still very dark with only a few random grey hair.

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2011

I'm finally catching up :) It used to be that people always guessed me for a teenager, but I've finally "made" it to my mid-twenties. Not bad for 30. I'll blame the oily skin, too... and good genes. My mom always looked younger than she was.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

People are usually surprised when they find out that I'm 50; the credit all goes to good genes.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

Same here.

22. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 6, 2011

People do think that I am younger than I am-I'm going to be 48 soon. l'm usually told that I look about 38-40. Hey, I'll take it!

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 6, 2011

Something like that used to happen to me when I subbed at a high school. It was not funny!
    I KNOW I look young. Why do people have to point it out? Why do they feel it's a compliment or that it's any of their business? Do I mention that they look like they gained a few pounds? Noooo...

24. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 6, 2011

I looked very young for years. I'm finally starting to look my age. It doesn't bother me. I do hope I age like my grandmother. When she passed away at 88 she didn't look a day over 70.

25. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 6, 2011

:lol::lol:

26. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 6, 2011

I've also been told that I look younger. Thanks also to oily skin my skin is not that dry. I'm in my mid 30's and I look like I'm in my 20's.

27. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2011

I was carded last week at a bar; I'm over 40. I was carded a few times in my early 30's (at liquor stores, I started bringing my kids in if I didn't have ID with me. I was carded once in a drug store for ONE alcohol chocolate, and once at a movie theater for an R-rated movie!)

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 6, 2011

I have no problem with people carding me for alcohol or whatever. It's their job to make sure the people they are selling to are not underage. It is their business how old I am but any other random person does not need to know how old I am or tell me I look young. Seriously, they do not want me to tell them how old THEY look...i'm sure I would state an age older than they really are!

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

People have a hard time believing I have 21 and 25 year old sons.:blush:

30. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 6, 2011

So how do you reply when someone says,"oh you look so young!"

31. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2011

Since I quit dying my hair, I look my age, 58. I don't usually act like a grama though, unless I am lovin' up my little grandson. At work, I have more energy than nearly all of the younger people who are in their 30's. The director told me the other day I make her laugh more than anyone else and that she admires me. I'll take a compliment like that any day.
    By the way, my wonderful sons are 30 and 35.

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

Thanks.

33. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 6, 2011

In my 20's I was sometimes mistaken for an Elementary-aged child. I was told I look as young as 8 years old by some people. When I got married at age 26 people in the bridal store were asking if I was old enough to do such. I also had a pediatrician to think I was his new patient. I was in grad/doc school at that time. LOL, I used to look very young/too young obviously.

Sometimes it was all cute, sometimes my feeling would be hurt when people were so shocked to find out my true age and say that I'm just too too tiny. Sometimes I didn't want to be bothered trying to explain that 'yes, I really do know how to drive.'

I'm 34 now and became extremely ill right around age 30 and that illness aged me tremendously. I definitely look like I'm in my 20's now. I don't have a child's face or body anymore. I know people can look at my face and see my adult experiences now.

I don't mind it all. It's cool looking like an adult:D

34. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 6, 2011

Funny thread because I've generally been mistaken for being older instead of younger. That sounds pretty bad. Anywho, when I was much younger (teenager), people thought I was at least 18 because I've always been very tall for my age (I finished growing in the 8th grade to be the 5'11 I am now). However, a couple of months ago I went to the movies by myself to see something that was rated R (maybe The Fighter or Black Swan) and the kid in the box office asked to see my ID!!! I was in complete shock and wanted to point out to the kid that I was doing his exact job when he was 1 or 2 (I totally worked at a movie theater for my first job when I was 16). I guess I should have taken it as a compliment but I was annoyed. And it was so unnecessary for me to be annoyed, anyhow.

:)

35. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2011

I think that I pretty much look my age (mid-20s), but a couple of months ago someone that I had worked with at my part-time job, but didn't really know too well asked me what grade I was in! That made me feel great!

36. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jul 6, 2011

I'm in my mid twenties and I think I could pass for 20.. I ALWAYS get carded for alcohol... I even got carded buying a lottery ticket at Christmas... apparently I didn't look 18 that day, but I don't mind. When I'm 30 and people still think I'm 21, I'll be happy! I get "You don't look like a 2nd grade teacher." more than I get "You look so young." (Whatever that means.)

37. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2011

I have been getting the senior discount (55 to 60 start) since I was 50 I don't mind a bit

38. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 11, 2011

All the time! At my college graduation I was asked did I just graduate from HS! LOL Now I'm in my mid 20's and still get the "Oh you look like you're 19-22" deal. I'm ok with it, 'cause I've never looked my age.