Do you get paid for open house?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FourSquare, Sep 13, 2012.

1. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2012

Working open house in the evening is part of our contract for our salary. However, if some principals make it during your contract hours and others make it outside of contract hours, then it does not seem to be part of your contract as extra hours.

2. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2012

We are not paid for Open House, or any of the extra events we participate in that falls out of school hours: like our art festival (on a Saturday), and International Day (also on a Saturfay). I think it's reasonable to expect us to attenf those extra events without being paid extra, especially when taking into consideration that it helps to build community within the school and with the parents.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 14, 2012

I wouldn't (and didn't) mind evening events such as P/T Conferences, music programs, and back to school night...but I would absolutely throw a FIT over ANY Saturday activities. NO. My weekend, MY TIME.

4. greendream

greendream Cohort

Sep 14, 2012

This is one of those threads that really shows the difference between union states and "at-will" states. I don't know if you union teachers truly understand that our at-will contracts are a complete joke. As someone else said, they are about a page long, most are very vague, they always include "other duties as assigned," and none of that even matters because they can be altered at any time. We've had our pay cut after the school year already started.

In my previous school, we were required to stay after school and tutor for 2.5 hours one day a week. 10 extra hours a month for no extra pay. That was "other duties as assigned."

We were also used as labor for football and basketball games.

I expect open house and parent-teacher nights to be uncompensated, but some districts downright abuse the power of "other duties as assigned."

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 14, 2012

Our contract has open house, and two parent teacher evenings included within it... Our principal doesn't get free rein over our evenings... do we get paid extra? No, but it is considered to be included within our salary.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 14, 2012

All teachers are expected to attend a certain number of events after school hours and are not compensated. However, we're usually fed and we can expense our mileage to the event.

7. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2012

We get comp. time for PTO mtgs, open house, Book Bingo, etc.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2012

I was going to go to my P and complain but everyone told me to suck it up and that I was unreasonable. :confused::confused:

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2012

My school is similar. Our back to school meetings were on an evening before school started. Conferences are two evenings. We each take one of the monthly board meetings and do tickets at a handful of volleyball/basketball games. Evening events include things like Fine Arts Fair, NJHS induction, musicals, etc. (maybe 3-4 a year). We also are expected to attend our annual dinner/auction fundraiser, but we are at least given a free ticket to that!

I've never felt like the situation has been abused; it's just part of being at a small parochial school.

10. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Sep 14, 2012

Yes, we have open house 4 times a year. It is mandatory and we DO NOT get paid for it. It's part of the duties. Are teachers in your district paid by the hour? Are you not considered salaried employees? Do you also get paid for staff meetings held after school? This blows my mind.

11. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Sep 14, 2012

It's a part of the job

Maybe I'm just a workaholic, but open house and p/t conferences are a part of the job--i would never question whether they're paid or not. I do it because one aspect of being a good teacher is being available for parents. Sorry, I do think it's ridiculous to expect to be paid extra for that.

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 14, 2012

It might......if we had one. :lol: We're currently on strike trying to work all that out. Hopefully by Sunday night! :thumb:

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2012

Our Back to School Night is unpaid, but mandatory. One year I had to miss because I went to the ER from being so sick. I made it up the following week by having a special evening presentation for my class parents.

Our contract states we can attend no more than 4 hours of meetings per month outside of our contracted hours. This includes our faculty meetings, PLC meetings, etc. We can be paid for working events like "Family Math Nights" which we apply for, but the PTA events and my after school club are things that we don't get paid for.

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2012

Good luck!! I have to say that I'm happy that when we didn't have a contract in my first district, we didn't strike...we just continued to work under our old contract and then receive retro pay when the new one was finally ratified. By some miracle in my current district, we've settled each time before the previous contract has expired (even this year with all Governor Christie has done to us).

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 14, 2012

Funny this came up. I just found out that I'm being sent to another city for our state-wide Family Nights. Mileage alone will be almost $73 on my expense report unless I can beg for a ride from one of the administrators.