Do you get help with prep work?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by LvToyFoxTerrier, Aug 26, 2009.

1. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Aug 26, 2009

I was wondering if any of you get aide help with all the prep work that is involved with preschool, such as photocopying, cutting, diecuts, etc.? I just found out that I will get no help this year and in the past I have always had a little help. :(

3. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 26, 2009

We only get help with laminating and photocopying. Everything is else put on the teacher :(

4. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 26, 2009

I wish! I don't even get planning time! And unfortunately Im one of those teachers who plans and then decides at the last minute to change her lesson plan. Last night it took me 2.5 hours to build a lesson plan around No David!

5. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Aug 26, 2009

gpsysngbrd, what did you plan? I don't get help, but we're a childcare center.

6. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 26, 2009

This week is my first week with my new class so of course its all about rules. I read No, David and we talked about how David was not following the rules. Then we walked around the room to the different areas and I (as David) did things that were following the rules (sitting quietly with a book) or not following the rules (banging on the computer keyboard). Afterwards I gave the kids two papers. One divided in half (one side said "yes, David!" and the other "No, David!). The other paper, pictures that I created of David doing different things (building with blocks, drawing on the wall). The kids had to cut out and sort the pictures by things David is doing that are good Yes, David!) and things that are breaking the rules (No, David!)

I also teach Pre-K in a childcare center and we always seem to be lacking in support to give anybody planning time.

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2009

We end up with a lot of unfinished stuff that we USE OUR OWN TIME to complete. In CA it was NOT OKAY TO TAKE ANY WORK HOME TO DO and not get paid for it! One company that I worked with found that out the hard way. They had to pay me for all the hours I took work home. The Labor Board in CA :( a LOT on these kind of practices.
    Rebel1

8. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 27, 2009

No help, no prep time. I have an assistant, but I fully believe that her job is to assistant the children, not me. It would be detrimental to have her sitting in the back of the room prepping a future project, rather than sitting at a table helping the kids.

We also don't have access to a laminator. We are allowed to make only 5 copies at a time, the rest have to be sent out to the district copy center- meaning if I want copies of something, I have to know about them 2 weeks in advance to send out and get back in time. Every week I literally sneak to the copy machine a dozen times just to send out a weekly newsletter. Teaching is not what it used to be!

9. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Aug 27, 2009

In the past fortunately I worked with a wonderful team so we would prep together and we were also given prep time. This year I am not sure.