Do You Get Calls To Sub or Do You Go Online To "Shop" For Jobs?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Suburban Gal, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 27, 2005

The districts in Northeastern Illinois use sub callers so I have to rely on them to call me for my jobs.

I read a post here that talked about an automated system called "SubFinder" where the teachers call in their absence and then SubFinder calls the subs until someone accepts the position, which I think is kind of nifty.

I also heard about how subs, in certain areas of the country like Seattle, WA, for example, can go online to accept and "shop" for jobs daily. (Wish I was able to do that.)

Anyhow, all this got me thinking: do you get calls to sub or do you go online to "shop" for your jobs?

3. baber2be

baber2be Rookie

Aug 27, 2005

Last year when was a sub in Indiana the district that I worked for had a sub-caller that would call us for jobs. She would usually call during the evenings ... which I enjoyed because I knew exactly where I would be working for the next day. She would also try to fill as many positions as possible for the week. She would usually call on Monday and I would have jobs booked until Friday.

4. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Aug 27, 2005

I just have to wait on a phone call...I'm in an area where districts are small. I know that the nearest large town has a website they are able to log onto and "shop" for jobs.

5. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 27, 2005

I have to wait on a pbone call. There are a lot of subs in our area, so I don't always get as much work as I want.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 27, 2005

my district has just started setting up a computerized system called Aesop... we're supposed to be able to start using it after Labor Day... they said they want to train all the subs in it first, but teachers got training this week... looks pretty nifty!!!

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 27, 2005

Aesop is what the county where I live uses. All of the school districts, except for two, use Aesop. They started with just one small school and have added the other school districts over the last couple of years. It seems to work well.

8. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Aug 27, 2005

Ah, SubFinder- that would be my district. I posted it when I mentioned I used to sub. I teach in Tacoma, Wa and when I was subbing SubFinder was a dream. I could be requested by specific teachers and could turn down jobs and not feel bad. It was also great because I could block out days that I couldn't teach. So for people that sub in several districts or are going out of town, etc. you wouldn't be bothered for those days if you blocked them out.

9. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 29, 2005

"SubFinder" sounds interesting. I wish my districts did away with sub callers and turned to an automated system or online shopping. It'd definitely be better IMHO aside from being more cost efficient.

10. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Sep 5, 2005

:D When I taught in Houston we used "Subfinder" and it was awesome!
    In Iberia parish,the schools call for subs, when schools like your work and know they can depend on you, they call you every time they need somebody and other schools don't even bother calling. Case in point: As a new sub in 2001, I got called to jobs 20 miles away from my house some days! I was happy for the two long term positions I got in my town. The next year I got called by only two schools practically every day. Last year, only one school called me everyday. Now this year, I am subbing only until mid-September, when I will be employed as a teacher's aid at the alternative school that called me exclusively last year! love:

11. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 5, 2005

The district I sub in have a subcaller do all the calling. I live in a small town area too, though.

12. Kimmy

Kimmy Rookie

Sep 11, 2005

I am in two school districts. In one district I have a live person that calls me the day before or the next morning. The second district uses subfinder.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 12, 2005

I'm currently a sub for 2 districts. 1 has the automated Sub calling telephone system & the other has that & the internet site to go on. I don't really do anything from my end, they call me. I only sub RSP & LSH (speech) classes, so I'm not called that much & that's the way I want it. I've done several long term assignments though. The longest was for a middle school speech class for an entire school year because there was no speech pathologist at that particular school.

14. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 12, 2005

At my school, the secretary makes the calls to subs. Wish we had sub-finder also!

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 20, 2005

Aesop is awesome. Our district has been using this system for the last few years. You can go online and shop for a job, or a computerized messaging system will call you. You can also set it up not to call you for certain jobs, or days.

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 20, 2005

Our school will still call subs that they know work well with young students. The secretary will just manually enter the sub into Aesop for that day.