Do you get a flu shot each year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Dec 30, 2014.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 1, 2015

I have had the real flu back in college (missed a whole week's worth of classes and had to have my parents take care of me), but I still don't get the shot. That's one time since I was a young kid (and I don't ever remember having it then but I might've when I was young). Once in at least a ten year period doesn't warrant the shot to me.

If I get the flu a couple years in a row, I'll consider it.

Now if they only had a sinus infection shot... That I would get.

2. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 1, 2015

No, I've never had a flu shot. My OB wanted me to, since I'm pregnant, but I decided to skip it.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2015

OMGosh.... exactly...I was married, but my mom brought stuff & left it outside the door... She didn't want it!!!!

I had the stomach flu one month & the next was the "real" flu! I planted myself on the couch & only got up when I really needed to.

The shot may not match but it will help lessen it!!!

Caesar..love your seatbelt analogy. I know I thought flu shots were for old people when I was young...I figure it's part of my health plan!! I had it once & that was enough!!!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2015

I wish you would reconsider. The flu can be deadly to pregnant women and their babies. Your immune system is compromised due to your pregnancy, so if you caught the flu now it has the potential to be very, very bad.

Three years ago my BFF worked with a teacher who contracted the flu during her pregnancy--she and her baby died.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2015

My mother in law is living in a retirement residence; they have been on virtual lockdown for close to three weeks because of the flu. They have closed the dining room and all common areas and any visitors must report to the nursing station before they are allowed access. I don't have the flu, but have had a bad respiratory bug, so I didn't visit my MIL over the holidays and she didn't come here. If she catches what I have, it will kill her.

I get a flu shot every year.

6. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Jan 1, 2015

I know, since that is the worst I've had I'm not too worried about getting the flu shot. I think the risk of another reaction to the shot is greater than my risk of getting the flu.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 1, 2015

I always get a flu shot, especially now that I teach. It's free with my health insurance and it takes less than 5 minutes - in and out. My mom was a nurse before she was a teacher, and has told me "The only reason you don't think it's that important is because you've never had the flu!" It's true. I've never had it so I don't understand how horrible it would be to catch.

So, I take her advice and get the shot.

Caesar - I agree with you. I have a good immune system and don't get sick very often, but that doesn't mean I never could! Better to be safe than sorry!

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2015

Oh Caesar... how awful... I bet the father of baby had a lot of guilt!!!

I'm with Caesar... please reconsider... I actually had my flu shot in November one year & found out I was pg after the holidays... glad I had my shot earlier...

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 1, 2015

But didn't they say that this year's flu shot doesn't even protect against the current strands of flu that are out there this year? It seems pointless.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2015

There is always some discussion about how well the strains match, but no one will deny that there is the possibility for gaining some sort of immunity even if they don't nail the exact combination. Since there are so many strains, you can't be certain that you won't be exposed to one of the strains that is in the vaccination. So at worst it doesn't help, at best it prevents a disease that could pose certain challenges to you at this time of your life. FYI, your baby will get your antibodies when it nurses and gets the colostrum. If you don't want to do this for you, do it for the protection you can give your baby for free.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2015

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 1, 2015

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2015

:2up:

14. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jan 2, 2015

I got it late this year - just in the last week. Frankly that was risky. My students can wet cough in my face, touch me with all kinds of goo, and then come to school with a fever. My arm hurts a bit from the shot - that's the only negative. They said it will start working in about two weeks. I'm hoping to avoid the flu before then. I have a strong immune system but still it was a bad idea to wait.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2015

I've found that doing pushups...even against a wall...after any shot decreases the soreness and inflammation. Gets the blood flowing through those arm muscles!

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2015

This is what I tell my students when they get their HepB, meningitis and HPV immunizations at school--use those arms!

17. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2015

A friend never got the shot and never got ill...until one year. She got it so badly, she never fully recovered. She now has issues all.the.time. Until now, she thought the shot could cause more harm than good. Well, she has changed her mine.

And yes, I get one yearly. I get a slight fever each time. I also still get the flu about every other year but never down for more than a couple days.

18. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Jan 3, 2015

I get my shot EVERY YEAR. My whole family does. The sore arm, the headache....those are nothing compared to what can happen with the flu!

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 3, 2015

I would love to, but most years I can't. I am allergic to most commonly prepared versions. I have to go to the one clinic that carries it in the sea, which isn't even in my town. I do what I can to boost my immunity, and know that for me, my severe allergic reaction to the shot actually is worse than the flu.