Do you get a break?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

I'm just curious . . . one of my biggest pet peeves with the job I resigned from was that I was expected to do all this paper work and had no time at work outside of the classroom to do it.

So, do you get a lunch break? Coffee break? Planning time? Time when kids are out of your room? And if so, how much?

3. Kase

Kase Companion

Feb 1, 2009

My previous job before I moved to cali, we got a 30 minute lunch break and then the kids were down for a nap for about 2½ hours where I did most of my planning. We also, as lead teachers got an hour from 3-4 to lesson plan and get everything prepped. It was really nice. At the new place I work, we get 10 min breaks, an hour lunch and there's nap time for the kids but no set time for lesson planning. It kinda stinks. They usually try to send someone to cover to give you time but it's nothing special.

4. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Feb 1, 2009

My day is 7 - 12 (kids leave at 12 unless they stay for aftercare till 2) and there's no break for that time but I do my planning after school b4 I go to my 2nd job, unless I have aftercare duty once a week till 2pm

5. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 1, 2009

I get 40 minutes. I am paid for work from 9 until 3. I have kids from 8:55 until 3:05, so I am still not sure how THAT is supposed to work. 20 minutes of my lunch break is automatically removed because of dismissing kids (including waiting for late parents which can remove my lunch altogether), picking up the afternoon kids, and getting the classroom back to original form for the afternoon class. It is a GIGANTIC pet peeve of mine. 40 minutes to eat lunch and do any and all prep work? Ridiculous. I end up coming in 1 hour early, unpaid, each and every day, and most days I don't get out of there until 4 at the earliest, unpaid. The amount of prep time is insane.

6. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Feb 1, 2009

The kids nap from 1-3 everyday. In that time I get an hour break and that is also the time where I need to complete all paper work, lesson plans, and conduct a weekly team meeting with my assistants. It sucks because on the days that I do my team meeting I don't get a break. We have children that don't really take a nap, so I don't really have the time to focus on planning and stuff because I need to deal with the children.

7. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

Well, obviously it's never enough planning or break time, but I'm glad that there are those of you that are getting breaks.

I had a two-hour naptime in the classroom (only half of my children slept), and an hour and a half after the regular kids left (still had 3-4 in aftercare in my room and I cleaned for 30 min.), but I never had any actual breaks where I did not have children or where I was out of the room besides bathroom breaks.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2009

I have 2 hours once a week without children to clean the classroom and change materials. I also have 2 hours one afternoon a week to meet with my team members, without children.

I also have 15 minutes every morning when the kids go outside to clean and straighten the room and replenish supplies.

I can't count the number of hours I've stayed after school or come in before school to do things. It's incessant, really. But, at least we get some time in our work week to meet and replenish and change materials.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2009

When I did my student teaching in kinder, they shared a campus with pre-k. Those teachers got a 30 minute lunch, 1 recess for break (the aides took them out), and had time to work during nap time which was an hour.

10. tracer330

tracer330 Rookie

Feb 1, 2009

Kase: where were the kids from 3-4 when you planned?

when i first started my job my hours were 9-6 with an hour break; my director asked me if i would be interested in switching from 9:30-6 with a half hour break so i could have more time to plan; when i get back from my break, the kids are sleeping (some of them); the kids who don't sleep know that i have work to do and know that they have to stay quiet; that is my planning time but i also have to clean the bathrooms, sanitize toys, mop the floor, and write daily sheets for each of my kids; even though i end up with more time to plan than i had before, i still don't feel like i have enough; i always try to get to work by 9 so that my 2 kids can have breakfast there; i try to use that extra half hour to do some stuff, but i always end up staying in the 3-year-old classroom with my son and with the kids from my class who stay in the 3's room until i'm ready to take them to our room; i often end up helping out the fours teacher with things like getting breakfast and cleaning up; sometimes i get up extra early with my husband; he helps me get the kids ready and i get to work with an hour or more for prep time; i don't get paid for it, but i do what i have to

11. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

I get an hour unpaid break that is usually during nap time. The other hour/hour and a half of nap time is spent covering my assistant's break and writing lessons, preparing activities, making copies, cleaning, etc. I never have enough time to do it all and in fact, this weekend is the first weekend in a long time that I haven't brought my lessons home with me to do on the weekend.

I was promised planning time each week but that hasn't happened once. I do a ton at home because we don't have internet access or a printer at work.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 2, 2009

You are protected by the Bureau of Labor and Industries. Check out your state site. Most states mandate a break every 4 or six hours. Some differences in child care are allowed, as I think a paid lunch hour may happen if you are required to stay with children. It is in the best interest of the children for teachers to have a break. If you keep giving up your down time, your place of employment will continue to expect it.

I know it is hard and costs money, but breaks are essential.

13. Hummingbrd

Hummingbrd Rookie

Feb 2, 2009

We are paid to work 6 hours a day. We have children for 3.5 hours.

14. amethysst

amethysst Rookie

Feb 2, 2009

I work 8 to 4 ....when I arrive usually two to three of my children are already there....by 9 o'clock all sixteen are there as well as my assistant. We do not get official breaks ...the kids sleep from 12:30 until 2 and we can use that time to work on room, do lesson plans, prep for next day, etc. But at 2:00 the children are there with me and it is back to work until I leave at 4:00. Usually when it comes to roomchangeover to the next month's theme I am always putting in time off the clock to get my room done. Not to mention all the work I take home....it is funny though because when Ecers was going to visit, our Director was sure to let us know you are all welcome to go up to the Breakroom for the Church staff anytime...yeah when? Do I take the kids with me? So in answer to your question -- No I don't get a break!!! But I also know I have things to be thankful for -- so I grump but get over it!!!

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 2, 2009

When I taught pre-k I got an unpaid 30 minute lunch (could have been an hour, I chose to make it 30 minutes to get home earlier, plus it kind of worked better for the rest of the staff's schedules) and two paid 15 minute breaks to do paper work, cleaning, potty trip, or any other random thing that needed to happen. When we had to prepare progress reports my boss made sure we had enough time during our paid time to do that, I was not expected at all to do it at home unpaid. I was very thankful that my boss fully understood that we needed breaks from the kids to get stuff done, and to also just have a breather.

16. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Feb 4, 2009

right now I work 7:30 to 1;30 and i have an hour lunch form 11-12. That is my tie, not paid time. I do alot of work stuff on my lunch break becasue it's easier than carting it back and forth from home and work to get it done. The children are having free play from 7:30 to 9 and bible lesson with a bible story lady two days a week from 8-8:30 so i try to do alot of stuff dureing that time but I have to stay in the classroom. I actually stay at the center many days for an horu or so after I'm off the clock to wrap up loose ends and finish prep for the next day because I'd ratehr do that than bring it home

17. Kase

Kase Companion

Feb 5, 2009

The children were with my assistant and extended day teacher. Usually most of the children leave by 4 so my assistant is able to leave at 4 as well and then the extended day teacher closes at 5:30pm. By 4 the extended day usually has like 5-10 kids. The ratio is 1:10

18. dola0072

dola0072 Rookie

Feb 23, 2009

I also get an hour unpaid break that is usually during nap time. I end up doing all of my work like planning etc. during my lunch break so I don't have to do it at home. It is frustrating because I am not getting paid for it but I am still doing work. I never have enough time to do anything it seems like so I end up doing work during the weekend anyway. I think all teachers should be getting paid on a salary because we do so much work on our own time.

19. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 23, 2009

I give my staff nap time, which is 2-3 for break and prep. It is paid. If the children stay down it will last until 4, if they don't it ends early. Since it is paid they end up ahead. In addition-they don't have a lot of prep since I am in the program right along side them. My program is a little different.

20. estrellita

estrellita Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

:dizzy:were i work know we have to get 15min in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon. but we don't the person that has to release us on break don't like to be on the back with the children. so we don't get break. :help:what we do went are children are taking their nap from 12:30 thru 2:00 we take are break if we don't have paper work to due.:help::unsure: