Do you feel your district is pushing you to be ESL certified?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustT, Jun 8, 2009.

1. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

Do you think your district is pushing all teachers to become ESL certified? I think I'm getting that impression.

another thought crossed my mind that I will have to learn Spanish soon. I wonder how many years before I become fluent enough to communicate effectively.

Anyone else with the same thought?

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2009

It can take someone 5+ years to become fluent in another language to where they can communicate effectively. To be able to teach in a second language will more than likely require more time.

I don't know what area you're from, but where I live in Texas, administrators won't really hire a teacher without ESL certification.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2009

Getting ESL certified here in TX does not require a teacher to be fluent or even able to speak Spanish. In my district, the administrators HAVE to offer a job to someone who is ESL certified over someone who is not.

5. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

I am in Texas and our school is actually going to be the ESL school for the district. I am not ESL certified but I am working on it. All I really have to do is take a test, but I don't feel like that is enough. I am taking some classes so I can truly understand what it means to teach ESL students.
    I have taught a student before who did not know any english and we were fine. He was in 5th grade and I just did my best. He caught onto english pretty quickly and started to make great improvements. It was when we got an interpretor when we stopped making progress. All she would do is talk to him in spanish so he had know reason to learn english. I am babbling, but my point is, you can be successful in teaching students even if you don't know the language. It take extra time and resources but it is possible.

6. lucylucy

lucylucy Rookie

Jun 8, 2009

I teach in Denver Public Schools. Our district was sued a few years ago and now every teacher must take 10 graduate hours in English Language Acquisition classes. The district pays for the classes, however.

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 8, 2009

I'm probably going to take a new job where I have to have ESL certification and I'm worried about being too old to learn a new language. Can you really teach an old dog new tricks???

8. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 8, 2009

No not at all - but I am taking courses in ESL because it's an area that interests me and give me another certification with more job possibilities even though I already am teaching.

9. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2009

ESL teachers do NOT teach in the student's native language, and you really aren't supposed to speak to the student in any language other than English. Hope that helps :)

10. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2009

Why do you feel you have to learn Spanish?

11. swtteacher

swtteacher Rookie

Jun 8, 2009

I have not been pressured to learn to speak Spanish, but it would not surprise me if the time comes at some point.

MANY of our ESL parents expect absolutely everything to be translated for them and expect a translator to greet them at our classroom door if they pop in for a conference. They seem surprised that neither by assistant nor I speak Spanish.

I was astonished when a parent showed up for open house back in September and did nothing but smile at me. I did not have the foggiest clue who her child was, since she had not come to orientation in August. She spoke no English, but didn't even say "Kevin's mom" so I would know who her child was. I smiled at her and thanked her for coming since there was NOTHING I could speak to her about!

I enjoy working with my ESL students (I have 16 out of a class of 22) but the language barrier is frustrating. Luckily, I do have a ESL inclusion teacher that comes in for 1 hour every day, and she is GREAT at helping out with translating meetings, notes, calling parents, etc.

12. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 8, 2009

You don't learn an new language in ESL classes!! They teach you strategies and how to best teach ESL students. At least that's what they do in our state. They are just good teaching practices you should use with all your students.

13. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

If the district is going to adopt dual language and/or bilingual.... it was rumored the English speaking teachers would move to the school where there was a need while teachers able to teach the dual and biligual program would be in high demand. :mellow:

I think it's going to get messy when a certain school becomes predomanantly middle eastern, eastern European, or asian.... would there be a need to teach in those languages also?

While growing up in a multi-language area as a child, English was dominant at school. The ESL program at the time taught in English and the ELL assimulated within 2 years.

14. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 8, 2009

My district has started Spanish dual immersion programs and next year they are starting a French and a Chinese program. My friend will be teaching the Chinese part, she's from China. She was the only certified teacher to apply for 2 openings. I understand they are having a hard time getting French teachers.

15. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

My district requires all new teachers to take a class in sheltered instruction. They pay for it.

I resisted getting my ESL certification because in my experience it made you more suceptible to being moved to other grade levels against your will.

But...

I ended taking the certification test because I would have been moved if I didn't have it. Go figure.

16. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 9, 2009

My district is pushing for ESL certification to the point that they're willing to train us and reimburse us for the cost of the test if we pass (although we have to pay the 70 dollars to get it added to our certification). I already teach Spanish so I'm not worried about it. Getting an ESL certification would put me in higher demand.

17. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Jun 9, 2009

I worked at a school that had a bilingual program. I was under the impression that the goal is to be speaking to the children in English most of the time. However, it seems as every time I passed by those particular classrooms, Spanish was always being spoken.

I do not have my ESL certification, but I did take the TELPAS training and have my certification for that.

In my district I know they were looking for an Ardu bilingual teacher.

18. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2009

I'm so happy I got my ESL certification this past January. I'm absolutely certain if I find a job in my area, it will be partially because of the ESL certification.