Do you feel underappreciated?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by City Girl, Nov 16, 2009.

1. City Girl

City Girl Rookie

Nov 16, 2009

Calling all teachers,

Do you feel underappreciated? Do you feel like all the hours and weekends you put into your job as wasted? Do parents blame you for the tiniest things? Do you feel pressured from your adminstrators? Do you feel like a babysitter?

Just want to share some input. I don't mean to sound negative, but lately I forgotten why I became a teacher in the first place? :( :eek:

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2009

No to all of the above. My kids appreciate what I do for them. I never feel like I put in wasted hours, I have learned over the years to concentrate on meaningful things. I don't really worry about parents, there are some that you will never make happy. Pressured from the administrators, well...maybe just a tad but not really. And I have never, ever felt like a babysitter in my classroom. I guess you can say I am having a great year so far!

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2009

Welcome City Girl.
    It will all pass. Remember you are not alone.
    It comes with the territory SO hang in there & reminisce about your happiest times as a teacher.
    Rebel1

5. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2009

And remember some weeks are better than others. Some years will be better than others. When you see things clicking in the kids minds it makes it all worth while!

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2009

I keep a file of those special cards and notes I have received over the years and on bad days I will look at them to help me get through rough times.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2009

This is the first year that I really believe my kids appreciate what I do for them. Of course I went from kinder to 2nd to 7th so that might have something to do with it.

8. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Nov 16, 2009

I don't know if my kids appreciate it, but most of my parents do which is wonderful! Do I feel like a babysitter? Absolutely, I know full well many parents move into our attendance area as soon as they hear we have full day kindergarten for free. I also know many who fake addresses (say they live at a friends address) so they can have their child at my school. That sucks because I know they are doing it simply so they can get free kindergarten all day and not need daycare. Mind you, these are the same ones who bring their child early/late and pick them up early/late.

I have had crazy parent criticism in the past and that is hard to deal with. I am fortunate to not have to deal with that this year.

Administration? Lots of pressure! AYP year 3 'nuf said.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 16, 2009

Welcome City Girl, yes, we're taken for granted, and we have unrealsitic expectations placed on our plates.

But, it's one day at a time doing the best you can each day. Every profession has it's problems and pitfalls. Kids are great though, they need someone to love them, care for them, and teach them.

Be sure to enjoy your personal life along the way, spend it with family and those you love.

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2009

No, I don't feel that way. There have been a few nutty parents who aren't very respectful, but they're loco anyway.

Occasionally I feel that this administration calls my professionalism into question. There is too much picking at minor things. But usually I stay strong by believing in myself.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2009

No, I'm not feeling any of that. I"m comfortable in my home and work lives. I had a rough year last year, and my administration went out of its way, not only to do what they legally had to, but to ensure that I was comfortable taking as much time as I needed, and in knowing I was appreciated.

12. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Nov 17, 2009

:hugs:

Sometimes. I am on my third year of teaching. My first year teaching, I remember thinking "Oh God, what have I gotten myself into? I can't do this. The kids aren't learning anything. I'm horrible at my job. I should just walk out and never look back.

There are moments and at times a day or so I feel like that. So I try and surround myself with positive people. I vent often, cry occasionally (at home, not in front of the kids of course) and when I need it, I take a mental health day.

I think until a person has been in your EXACT shoes, they will never fully know all the work, tears and hardship that goes into teaching.

The key is to light others flames without extinguishing yours. Think the olympic torch.

13. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2009

I do feel appreciated - not always by every parent - but by my team and the admin. and I know I'm doing a good job. I don't think kids are likely to ever really be appreciative of what you do. They are just naturally too self centered. I need to get my satisfaction from my own self worth.
    Having said that, I also have an "atta girl" file where I keep the nice words and I've been known to go look at them on a bad day. Some years are better than others. This year, we've gotten lots of thanks from parents and we had none in the last 2 years.
    Hang in there!

14. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Nov 17, 2009

Yes, all the time. I've forgotten the last time someone thanked me for the extra time I put in without prompting. We'll see what happens at PTI's on Friday.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2009

I think teachers must find ways to communicate with parents (and administrators) that show that the professional educators are experts in their field, have their students' best interests at heart, have a plan for facilitating student progress and growth, and position the teacher in a place where the parents and administrators feel confidence. We must also be proactive in communicating and advocating for the good things going on in our classrooms. It's a dance, communicating concerns and yet conveying care and concern, showing what we do well and learning new ways to improve on our practices...it's a dance to which we should all learn the steps, keep in time with the music and take on various 'dance partners'. Yes, I feel appreciated and respected, but I've earned it.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 20, 2009

Mama said there'd be days like this. They happen to us all. Just stay focused on the kids and their needs, and the rest will (evetually) fall into place. My suggestion is to start a file folder of happy notes, cards and notes given to you over the years that make you smile and feel good. That way you can pull them out on the tough days and remember why you are putting forth so much effort each day.

17. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Nov 21, 2009

I know that most of my students appreciate the hard work I do, I am finally at a school where I feel appreciated and valued by my adminstration. At times, the parents can be a pain, but I remind myself that they are worried about their kids and I am new to the school. I cannot be certain that I won't be the same way when I am a mother. Besides, once you prove yourself to the parents, the support is wonderful!