Do you feel guilty if you skip an interview?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Milsey, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2012

I feel like I defend a lot of people on this board for being misjudged or I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I don't even know what to say.

2. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 19, 2012

I'm curious why she was carrying a heavy bag on her way to an interview. What did she need the bag for? Did it have some samples of her work or was she planning to do something after the interview that she needed the bag for?

As for personal appearance, while it IS important to look your best, the committee generally understands when circumstances prevent that.

I applied for a TA position before getting my license. I still worked for the home health company at the time. I got a call one day asking if I could come in for an interview that afternoon. I gladly agreed, even though I had to deliver and set up a hospital bed on my last stop before the interview. It was the middle of summer and, by the time I finished with the bed, I was hot, sweaty and dirty. Unfortunately, I had NO time at all to go by my house to freshen up or change clothes. So I turned up the AC in the van to cool off as much as I could and showed up in my dirty polo shirt and khakis at the interview. The interview seemed to go well, but I still apologized for my appearance at the end. All of the committee members assured me it was not a concern for them. I didn't get the job, but I certainly wouldn't let messy hair or a hot day keep me from an interview, IF I actually wanted the job in the first place.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2012

About 15 years ago, I had to interview a math teacher. The custom on LI is that you wear a suit, and Pat was wearing one-- with a huge coffee stain down the front.

She apologized, saying that she had spilled the cup of coffee she was drinking in the car. Her choices were to go home and change or be on time for the interview. She chose to be on time.

That's not the only reason she was hired, of course, but it did illustrate that her priorities were right.

When I quit in 2000, she replaced me as department chair.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 19, 2012

Nice story :)

5. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jun 20, 2012

I would never, ever be a no show unless there was some sort of medical emergency where I actually could not get there and could not call to let them know - like I'm in a terrible car accident on the way or something. And then I would be contacting them ASAP to apologize and explain.

One thing I have learned about this field - at least where I live - is that people know each other and people talk. This is not the name you want to build for yourself.

6. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 20, 2012

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

This has to be a joke. If not, OP, you need to get your attitude and maturity into shape. The quality of the mind and character far outweigh the quality of the body in most professional fields.

7. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

Jun 21, 2012

I received a job offer after an interview, but had already schedule 2 more the following week. I wasn't sure if I was going to accept or not (but figured I probably would since it was, well, a job offer). I ended up going to the 2 interviews because I figured it would be good practice and learning experiences, and I hadn't officially accepted the other yet. I didn't have very high hopes, but ended up loving one of the schools, getting an offer and taking it. So, yeah, you never know. Always better to go and chalk it up to an experience.

I can't even imagine not showing up to an interview without calling first. My parents would be so ashamed!

8. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 21, 2012

Wow...just....wow...

9. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

Jun 21, 2012

Oh, man. I love going back and reading old posts from people who post stuff like this! (I'm not a veteran here, so I have to play catch-up!)
    One night, I read a post by the David (?) guy, the one who threatened suicide and had anger issues, and spent like an hour reading all of his old posts. And now I just did the same with Milsey. Ahhhh!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2012

SOmetimes it's very enlightening to see why a nice group of people reacts in what seems to be an uncharacteristic manner. Then you take a look at the OP's posting history, and things tend to fall into place.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2012

:yeahthat:
    Nicely put, Alice.

12. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 21, 2012

I think you post things to incite a reaction. Most people want to be perceived in a positive light and yet you seem to go out of your way to be perceived negatively. Therefore, I think you're trolling.

If you had posted that you missed a job inteview and now were filled with anxiety and regret over that, I might believe you. But no teacher I've ever heard of would miss an interview deliberately, feel no remorse about it, and then want to broadcast it on a teacher forum.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 21, 2012

Part of me had suspected that, Jerseygirlteach. It's why I react as little as possible to these posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.