Do you expect subs to do marking?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Kaley12, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Kaley12

Kaley12 Companion

Dec 7, 2015

Just out of curiosity, when you have a substitute in your room, do you expect them to mark some/all off the work from that day? If so, do you explicitly ask them to do it in your day plans, or do you assume that it will get done on your prep period?

I remember when I was a new teacher and substituting, I was never sure whether the teachers wanted me to mark the work that we were doing. On rare occasions the teacher would ask that I mark "____" during the prep block, but most of the time there was nothing mentioned. I didn't want to seem lazy by not using the prep block to do some work, but I also didn't know if the teacher wanted it marked. I know sometimes teachers have a certain way they like to assess work, or maybe they like to do peer assessing, etc. So as a rule of thumb, if it was something very straightforward, such as a basic addition sheet for example, I would usually mark it without being asked. But if it was something that could have different answers or marking schemes, I left it alone to be safe.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2015

In general, no, I do not expect subs to grade student work.

Occasionally I might leave something that could be graded very quickly, easily, and objectively, such as a multiple choice quiz. In those situations, I may ask the sub to grade if (and only if) she has time and wants to do it, and I will leave an answer key. I know that it can get boring and tedious to sub, especially on days when students are doing independent work or taking quizzes, and some subs like to stay busy. This gives them the option without the demand.

I would not want a sub to grade student work unless specifically asked to do so, though. I grade for particular things on any given assignment, so not everything that's wrong should be marked as such. Furthermore, sometimes subs don't know the content as well as they think they do, so in their excitement to be helpful they can actually cause me a lot of headache when I have to go back and regrade everything.

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Dec 7, 2015

Nope, never.

MrsC likes this.
  5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 7, 2015

No. I want to know what kids are missing and I don't always have a standard way to assign numerical grades.

6. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Dec 7, 2015

I have graded as a substitute teacher before, but I didn't make a habit of it. Only in classes where I knew the teacher and content, or I was given an answer key.

As a teacher I try not to leave quizzes or tests for days that I am out. I think it is unfair to my students and the substitutes. So my subs don't get a chance to grade or mark for me.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 7, 2015

Nope - I'm responsible for their report card grades, so I expect myself to do the grading.

MrsC likes this.
  8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 7, 2015

No. I pretty much only give movies to subs anyways, and the students just need to take notes that even I don't grade. I file them in the circular bin.

otterpop likes this.
  9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2015

Nope. I either have the sub end the class in correcting as a group (go over answers and kids self check) or sub collects but doesn't mark.

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 7, 2015

Only math...I grade it as the kids finish it and they have to correct it.

11. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 8, 2015

God no. Honestly, in my building, it's a bit much to expect subs to even give out the work you leave them. :p But unless I'm out for an extended period, I don't want subs doing anything more than handing out and collecting assignments. No teaching, no grading, nothing other than supervising.

If I'm out for an extended period, I'd make sure to get a sub I knew since they'd have to teach.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 8, 2015

I'd never ask a sub to grade anything.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 8, 2015

I'm doing good if I can gt a sub to actually give the students their work for the day, so I think grading might be a bit out of what a sub expects to do here...

14. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2015

Not usually (I'd rather spend the bit of extra time myself so I can see where each of the kids are at and to make sure it's assessed correctly), but when I was on the other end, I'd often let the teacher know that I was more than comfortable doing so and could provide them thorough feedback, if they wanted me to do so. While not many did, there were some, especially ones I got to know well, that were all for me helping out with that. But again, that was only because the feedback I gave was extremely thorough, and because I had had tons and tons of prior experience with grading math work.

15. Kaley12

Kaley12 Companion

Dec 8, 2015

Out of curiosity, why is it so hard to get subs to give students their work? Do you often get lousy subs, or subs who don't follow your plans? Or are the students too much of a handful?

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 8, 2015

Unfortunately, subs often don't follow plans. One sub I recently had literally did not say a word to my students the whole hour and just sat at my desk and stared at them. I came back to school the next day to no note, and all of my clearly-labelled, color-coded worksheets sitting on my desk where I left them.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2015

Yeah, I've also experienced many (many!) situations where subs did not follow my plans. It irks me because I always overprepare for subs and leave what I think are very clear, concise instructions. I have returned after an absence to find my carefully created plans completely ignored, handouts never having been given to students, and reports from students all day long that the sub had been watching movies on her laptop, sleeping at my desk, or texting on his phone the whole time. One student even texted me a photo of a sub asleep at my desk. Sigh.

On the other hand, I have had some really great subs. One of those subs ended up becoming a good friend of mine. When I get those good ones, and when they ask for extra work, I'm happy to let them have it, because I know I can trust them. Furthermore, many subs are subbing as a way to gain experience and recognition, so it can be an opportunity for them there as well.

18. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 8, 2015

I actually had a sub today. Apparently, he slept through the entire last block. Students took pictures and sent to me. I'd bet serious money that that block did not do the assignment. That's pretty par for course in my building.

19. Kaley12

Kaley12 Companion

Dec 8, 2015

WOW! I can't believe that some of you have experienced these kinds of subs! When I was a substitute, I wouldn't dream of doing anything less than what the classroom teacher left me. Nor have I ever had a substitute veer away from what I left for them. Maybe it's because we have such a surplus of new teachers that everyone is competing to get a full time job and needs to be at the top of their game. No matter what the class would be working on and no matter how quiet and independently they were working, I would always circulate the room while subbing just in case someone popped their head in.

For those of you who have experienced subs that don't do what you ask, do you know if they are new teachers waiting for a classroom of their own? Because that would take a lot of nerve...

20. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 8, 2015

I seriously don't know what's going on in my area, but we have a crazy shortage of teachers. We can't even fill the spots we have. To be a sub, you just need a certain number of college credits. So, no, I don't believe the vast majority are teachers hoping to get hired. At least not on the high school level.

21. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Dec 8, 2015

I don't ask anyone else to grade my class work. When I subbed, I worked in a district where I had to stay 45 minutes after the bell, and about three hours on early release days without students. Teachers often left things to correct. There are some things that are pretty standard and not a problem to mark. Things like timed math tests where the kids have a list of simple addition problems or multiplication tables are pretty straight forward. Spelling tests can get iffy because there are errors like capitals in the wrong place that some teachers overlook in favor of actual spelling and others will mark wrong. Anything that took judgement drove me crazy because I didn't want to be overly strict or overly permissive and have the teacher get irritated about "that sub who graded my work." It's a very slippery slope.

22. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 8, 2015

My subs are extremely hit-and-miss. I've had some fabulous subs (mostly retired teachers) who taught a lesson as well as I would have. I've had other subs who literally could not speak English, or who literally were not able to read. On those days, it basically comes down to which of my third graders takes it upon themselves first to take over the class for the day.

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 8, 2015

I have had subs grade students' math mad minute because the kids like to know if they passed to the next level, but nothing important and certainly nothing I'd record. If a sub graded a mad minute incorrectly, that's not that big of a deal.

Most of the illiterate subs have been weeded out, so it's been better in my district lately but I still wouldn't ask a sub to grade papers unless I was out long term.

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 9, 2015

When I subbed, I only graded when specifically requested to do so by teachers with whom I had a professional understanding, and only then with their answer key to guide me. Where I currently teach, we do not have per diem subs, only long term, and they are expected to do all the grading while in their placements.

25. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Dec 13, 2015

I work as a sub and only very seldom have I been asked to grade or mark papers in any way.

I don't mind doing it for math, because whatever the work the teacher leaves to be completed is, I usually make an answer key for myself (if the teacher did not provide one), and can usually mark the papers during prep time.

Usually I would not have time to grade papers, as even though I may have a prep period it is often used to further go over the lesson plan, especially if anything has disrupted it, like some program that is presented, or perhaps fire drill or other break in the class routine.

Also, I think that much of the time a teacher leaves work to be done that is really review of topics already covered, and would like to see what the students accomplish themselves. Most of the test work that I have to do is like spelling (on the regular test day of the week) or sometimes taking students to the computer lab for testing on the computers. (in those cases the grades are calculated by the program)

26. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 13, 2015

I usually give some kind of review work and then recycle it upon returning (I don't tell students this, however).

Many times, I do ask the sub to review answers with the class, however.

27. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Dec 14, 2015

Last year I had two plan periods, including one at the end of the day. I give multiple choice/matching/fill in the blank quizzes 2-3 times a week. When I was out, I would have the sub grade those for me since I knew they would have down time the last hour. Friday's are independent reading days and students have a journal entry due each time, and I always have the sub check those for completion.