Do you every worry?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by TXTeacher4, Jul 7, 2006.

1. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jul 7, 2006

Do any of you ever hold back on "venting" type posts because you are afraid someone from your school might find out who you are? I could really use some advice on a sticky situation I am in, but I worry that someone might know it's me! It might just be that I am paranoid.

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2006

I have shared a lot about specific things that occured in my classroom and felt a lot better. Just don't provide any names. I think there are a lot of us out there who may have experienced the same thing or know someone who has, so it will be really hard to pin point who wrote what -- and Texas is a mighty big state:). And noone really knows for sure if you are really from Texas:D .

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2006

Sure, I've held back. Maybe if you're worried, discuss the issue in a round about way so it doesn't point fingers or name anyone/thing in particular. It'll be good to get it off your chest.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2006

You could always change or eliminate the minor details.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2006

Okay TXteacher, now I REALLY want to know!:)

Why don't you just type or write it out first and see if you think it will make you recognizable or if you think that there is someone in this forum who gives pretty good suggestions, why don't you PM them.

7. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

I worry about it. I try to be careful if what I am saying could be hurtful. My current thread where I am venting, I decided if she found out then I would discuss it with her.

8. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2006

I worry about it alllll the time....you never know who you are talking to or who is reading this web page....I try to change minor details and keep things vauge!

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 7, 2006

My name is a little blatant. :)

I don't really go into the deepest detail, though.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 7, 2006

And you could always PM someone who you trust.

11. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 7, 2006

Even if the person you are speaking of finds this forum, he/she can't do anything legally unless you've mentioned actual names. I wonder, though, if some of us who are using our real names should ask to change them to something more anonymous. Is that possible?

12. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 7, 2006

yep-- you can change your user name. I changed mine. I originally registered with my real name, but because of the same worry-- I had Amanda change it to something a little incognito.
    I can't remember how I did it, though....I'll look around....

13. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 7, 2006

Should have looked a little before I posted....
    Go to the FAQ link at the top of the page.
    Click on Forum Rules and Policies.
    Under "User Names", there is a link to click.

14. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jul 7, 2006

Thanks for the advice! Sorry if I made you guys nervous! I will just be vague about things when I post them.

15. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 7, 2006

Thank you, Beezus, I went there and did that. Your help is much appreciated.

16. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2006

I don't worry about what I post. But I usually think about the consequences of what I post before I hit return. Frankly, public forums are not the place to vent, for many reasons. And sometimes seemingly innocuos comments can come back to bite you, even if your identity is not obvious from your handle. OTOH if you are looking for advice on how to deal with a problem, or want to share useful information, and avoid specifics that identify individual persons or districts, I think you are on safe ground.

17. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 7, 2006

I avoid venting myself, but there are certainly things I've already typed, though minor details, that I would not want certain people to see. There are also times I hold off on answering someone's question in more detail because it may not be the safest thing to do for my professional reputation. When I see people from my state posting, I'll pay attention to details they say to see if they might be in my area--for my future reference of privacy.

18. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2006

When I had a complaint about a colleague that I posted here, I went and changed my location to read nothing so it would be harder to find out who posted it. Other than that, I'm careful to change names or not mention names at all.
    I belong to a closed group for working moms and once in a while, someone wants to say something without everyone knowing who said it...they create a new screen name to do that. OR, they email it privately to another trusted member who posts it for them. TXteacher4, you could do either of those things.
    Kim

19. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 8, 2006

I worry about it - but I try to steer clear of naming any names or being vicious in my statements.

I think I have a right to vent a little when I am doing so in a way that is seeking advice or help. This is a SUPPORT forum and sometimes that means getting support or advice about things that are difficult or negative. I think there is a difference between talking about your feelings in a general way and placing blame or being unconstructive.

I do however, try to keep in mind that this is a public forum and that eyes are everywhere.

~J

20. Texas Gal

Texas Gal Companion

Jul 8, 2006

People can put 2 and 2 together. If you post your lesson plan template, for example, and then tell about someone in your building - then you might get caught. I bet you will find that you can get great advice just by asking a question rather than venting. Instead of telling all about the crazy psycho that works across the hall and is always on her cell phone, you could ask how others handle difficult co-workers, particularly those who break the school rules. Then you are vague enough to get answers but not specific enough to get caught.

21. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2006

I must be an idiot but I've taught so long I really don't give a
    **** what someone else may think (adults not kids).
    I've told my current principal that he is a #*#*# and to most that work around us or with us. He knows he is but he does a good job.
    Most of my comments about colleagues are positive. I am fortunate to work with lots of caring and competent individuals. I work for two principals now. The guy is good at his job but he is just a horse's behind while the lady is wonderful, nice but lax on discipline.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2006

I don't have my state listed although I've mentioned it, never list the school or district I'm in so I don't think anyone would know who I was. We all need to vent sometimes but if you think you are identifiable by your screen name or location or if you have shared enough information for colleagues to make a good guess that it's you, then don't vent here if you think it's going to come back and bite you.