Do you ever wonder what else is out there?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Sep 20, 2014.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 20, 2014

I'm pretty happy with my job and where I live, but I sometimes wonder if I could be happier. It's pretty crazy to think about how big the world is, and how there are so many different job possibilities. I often wonder if my happy place is out there somewhere. However, I'm way too scared to go find it. I like living close to family and friends. My husband has talked about the possibility of him transferring somewhere for work, but I always say no. (Plus, it's always somewhere down south like Louisiana, which sounds just horrible...I need seasons.)

Does anyone else ever think about this? Or have you ever packed up your family and moved somewhere new, where you didn't know anyone?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2014

I'm single, but I had never even set foot into North Carolina before I went down for my first interview.

Part of me wishes I had moved somewhere else after a couple of years.

I've always been jealous of my cousin. She is a physical therapist, so is her now-husband. They were traveling PTs. They moved to a new state about every 6-12 months for several years.

Now, I love being a part of my niece's daily life. I wouldn't trade it for the world!

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 20, 2014

At times, I briefly think about living somewhere else, but where is the question. There are certain states I wouldn't want due to how hot/humid the weather is & certainly don't want places where there's hurricanes & tornadoes. I was born, raised, & still live in southern CA & I can't really imagine living anywhere else. I'm very happy here & I even love my very apt. I'm VERY centrally located in the city I'm in. For the work I'm doing currently, I can live anywhere in the US, but that doesn't mean I'll pick up & go.

However, I think if one has the good opportunity to live somewhere else & the pros outweigh the cons when trying to decided whether to stay or go, I think it may be good to go for it! Staying close to family & friends wouldn't really tie me down. I don't have friends really anyway...the few I have, I see few & far between, as in once a year or longer. Life is short & we only live once. Plus, people move all around & back all the time.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 20, 2014

I'm happy where I'm at, although I wish we were closer to family. Job wise I'm happy, but I do have other career aspirations.

6. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2014

I've lived in MA since I was 7. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like, but I'm really happy here. I like my job and I love being close to my parents.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2014

We packed up our children and moved every two or three years for my husband's job. We did this for 15 years. I loved it! We were nomads at heart, I guess. We saw parts of the country that never would have been possible any other way.

However, I didn't have any family of my own that I was close to. My husband was close to his family, but not the kind of closeness that needed them nearby.

Now, however, we have come home to stay and retire.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2014

As someone who took the scenic route to my current life, I believe tht there are more reasons that we are doing what we do where we do it than we can ever truly fathom. Asking the question shows reflection, which all teachers need, and considering all the possible answers proves you are intelligent and mature enough to know there are always different realities that could work. Why do we choose one of those over all of the others? I believe it is the invisible bonds we have to people, places, desires, and prior choices. In short, we dream of the unknown because we are human, and we can. We choose our reality for the exact same reason.

:unsure:

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2014

I can't wait to live somewhere else. My esposo has a really great opportunity for a job where he will be traveling around the world. Of course I can go with him (if I get the time off!) Then we'd really love to be transferred to another country in a few years.

I definitely plan on living on at least one other continent before we decide to "settle down". I simply have not seen enough of the world yet to buy a house and have a kid. I like teaching, but I think I'd also be happy in a related field- coaching, mentoring, clubs, organizing student trips, organizing volunteer stuff, etc.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 20, 2014

I sometimes wonder why I don't live in Colorado around the 10,000 feet elevation. I feel very much at home there. But, I figure if I lived there, I wouldn't have much time to often do the things I dream of doing (e.g. snow-shoeing) because of all of the life things that take up time.

So, traveling and visiting is enough for me.

We live in an area of VERY low cost of living and have good incomes. So, it would be a shocker to officially move to a different part of the country.

11. Sugar

Sugar Rookie

Sep 20, 2014

Yes. This is the sort of thing that fills my mind! When I consider this, I get the same feeling of aw as when I consider "the universe" before the universe existed. Lol. :)

I've lived within the same fifteen mile radius my entire life. I'm curious... But I'm also a sentimental creature of habit. I have something tying me down now, but I will travel a lot in time.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2014

YES! I have always lived within an hour radius of where I was born. I would love to find a position in education somewhere in the Northwest. My ultimate goal would be to find a job in education on a military base in the UK somewhere or just any job really for a year or two. Makes it hard with a child though.

13. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2014

I've moved constantly for my entire life, either in a twenty mile radius around the town I was born in (of course I was out of state for a while then as well) or around the world with my husband when he was in the military as well as several states. A few things I have learned, life quickly falls into patterns you are used to.....a reflection of our personalities, despite where you live, and you always end up wishing you were close to home, or a best friend, etc.

I always thought living in Germany would be so exotic, and many ways it was, but in the end it ended up being a lot like living somewhere else.

That being said....I am so very grateful I've gotten to do all these things, if you have a chance do it!

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 20, 2014

I was born and raised here. Heck, I even work at the school that I attended during my very own K-5 years.

I don't intend on moving; however, I absolutely love traveling and escaping town whenever I can.

The thought of starting over (new town/different job) completely petrifies me. I guess I'm in my comfort zone. Plus, I have no desire to work in a field that isn't education-related. I was one of those "born-to-teach" people.

On another note--I love my house. I worked so hard to purchase my own home, decorate it, etc. that I can't imagine moving from here any time soon. In the future, though, I'd like a home with a pool.

15. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2014

I know for a FACT that there are jobs out there that I would enjoy more than teaching. No doubting that for me. But, I make really good money for 190 days of work with good benefits and a pension.

I grew up in New Jersey, but moved to Tennessee for college, moved to Michigan for grad school and I live in Maryland now. I don't mind moving and I would LOVE to go back down South, but the pay is not cutting it in regards to the districts where I have looked even when considering COL.

16. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 20, 2014

I've moved 30 times in my life. I've lived in various parts of the country. While I never imagined I would settle where I did, I can now never imagine leaving. We have roots here, my children have a close relationship with one set of grandparents (something I never had), and we are overall happy.

17. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2014

I had to move across the country where I didn't know anyone in order to find a job. In hindsight though, I'm glad it worked out that way. Now I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had just stayed in Ohio my whole life! I've now lived in the heart of the rocky mountains and in a big city, and I often think about going to see what else is out there. I would love to at least have a stint living near the ocean as well. However, I think that's very difficult to do as a teacher, because after a certain amount of experience, your chances of someone hiring you are slim to none (or they will hire you and pay you significantly less than what you deserve for your amount of experience). I'm happy with where I live now, but I would like to experience more as well.

As for other careers, I don't see myself teaching for forever, but I have no idea what else I would do. I mean, with an education degree there isn't really anything else you can do that pays the same type of salary, and I would absolutely hate to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars and years of effort on another degree for some type of career that I don't have any experience in and possibly wouldn't be much better. There is also the benefit of how much time we have off in teaching. Even though I live very far from my family now, I go home for a week at Christmas, a week at Thanksgiving, a few days for Easter, and a week in the summer. In any other job I would be lucky to get maybe a week off, and it wouldn't be around major holidays.

18. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 20, 2014

I live in the same town I was raised in. I'm happy here, and I couldn't imagine raising DS anywhere else because all my family is here...but I do wish I'd have gone to college at least a couple of hours away and had the experience of living somewhere else for a while.

As for jobs, it depends on the day! Career employment options are pretty limited here. The biggest employers here are schools, the hospital, and the banks. I hate other people's bodily fluids, and I'm not enough of a people person to work at a bank, so teaching it is, lol.

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2014

I live and work in the same area where I grew up. I'm dying to move somewhere that has seasons. Life has had other plans for me, I guess. And then I don't know about moving away from the ocean... it heals my bad moods and calms me. Hmm.

20. K12gamer

K12gamer Rookie

Sep 21, 2014

Yes...After 15 years of teaching...I'd like to spend more time making educational games...and less time in the classroom.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2014

I love my school and I love the community I live in. I do see myself moving somewhere else once I retire (in less than 10 years). Of course, in 10 years, I may be a grandma, so where I go would depend on where the grand babies are!

22. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Sep 21, 2014

As others on here have said, I moved several hours from home to a new place I had never been before to get a job. Since that initial move, I have moved to a different school district a few hours from the first one. Overall, I am very happy where I am and can see myself staying at my current job for a long time. Although it wasn't my first choice, I am happy I moved to a different state and out of my comfort zone. I think if I had stayed around where I grew up I would be wondering what life was like in other places.

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 21, 2014

I've moved several times in my life-3 as a child and a major move from MI to CA after marrying my husband, as well as a recent move 3 hours from where we had been living. The pro is I've experienced a LOT and seen many different areas as a resident. The con is that I don't feel like I have a HOME.

We recently moved to a small town from San Francisco. Dh grew up here and we both settling in well. It's hard to believe this will be home forever! I've never lived anywhere with the thought that we'd be staying for more than a few years, let alone forever. In fact, we're so use to moving that we finally forced ourselves to agree on paint colors for this house because we're determined to just BE somewhere for a long time. It's a hard shift in mindset, but I crave being settled.

I think the only way we'd move from here is if Dh died and I wanted to move closer to my brother/parents in CO (morbid, but something to think about), if Dh ever agreed to let me work at Disney world and we moved to Orlando, or if we retire and follow my dream to some tropical island.

In terms of teaching, I've learned to never say never. While this is a great school and I have no plans of leaving, Dh and I are always coming up with business ideas. The nice thing about this small town is that I could easily juggle both teaching and a storefront because everything is so close in proximity! :)

I've taught enough, had a business, worked for a tech company and been a stay at home mom to know that everything can be wonderful until it's not. Unless you HATE teaching, it's probably as good as anything else you'll do. Not sure if that makes sense.

24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 29, 2014

I've seen a lot, but would love to see more. Grew up in Hungary and have been in Germany several times for vacation. Been to Greece once - beautiful. visited Romania and the Checz Republic when I was a teen.
    When I moved to the US, I lived on the East Coast about 3 hours from Washington DC and Baltimore for a couple of years. Moved to Baltimore, visited NYC once, Washington DC Virginia Beach a few times and a few other spots.
    Drove across the country 3 times and ended up in San Diego. Visited Hawaii and Vancouver. And Mexico quite a few times, but only the northern part.
    After 17 years now I'm living in Central Valley of California.
    Lately I've been missing Southern California a lot, even though I go to visit once a month.
    I still can't believe that I'm living here now and often wonder if I'll be living here for a few more years or forever, or what.

I'd love to visit Japan, Dubai and Egypt. Teaching ESL in foreign countries is a great way to travel, but I could never do that because I have an accent and I'm not a native speaker :( If I could, I would do that for a few years.

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2014

I've moved a LOT and as Jem said, never felt like I had a home. I've lived in this current town (in California) for the past four years now. I love this town, but I would move in a heartbeat if it was Europe. :)