Do you ever look at www.ratemyteachers.com?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Kerfuffle, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Rookie

Jan 2, 2009

I was just "grading projects" and found myself browsing ratemyteachers.com. I am not on there yet but of course know some people who are. Do you ever check it out? Is the feedback ever helpful? The fact that students can go post their ratings and opinions for all the world to see freaks me out a little... :eek:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2009

I looked once.

It was almost uniformly good, with one "I didn't care for her" or something to that effect.

But anything that's anonymous means nothing to me.

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2009

I look sometimes, I think I find it by accident and look to see if there is anyone I know on there. I'm not on there yet...I don't think. ::goes to check::

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2009

Nope, not there yet. I find it interesting that the most recent rating was for a principal that retired two years ago.

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2009

I looked at it once. I find it to be less than useful. One of my colleagues had some serious confidence issues and got REALLY mean ratings on it. She saw them and it made her issues worse. After some hard work on her confidence and management (and a promise to me NEVER to look at the site again), she has improved greatly.
    I see little value in a site such as this, especially for middle schoolers. It's not like they have a choice in which teachers they are assigned to.

7. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jan 2, 2009

I just checked it out and I am not on it and none of my teacher friends are either. I don't think it's very well known.

8. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jan 2, 2009

My mentor is the only teacher from my school rated. I agree that there's no point in it for middle or high schoolers, but when I was in college I used ratemyprofessor like no body's business :lol:

9. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Jan 2, 2009

I have never heard of it! I can't see it being of any use to young students. Seems its just giving them an outlet to teacher bash. If I knew of the site a few years back...I have a few professors I would have warned people about!

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 2, 2009

In college I looked my professors up and occasionally posted, I am fairly sure none of my kindergartners posted about me yet ;)

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 2, 2009

I looked~ I'm not up yet :D

12. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2009

I don't think it's as popular as it was about four years ago. I rarely hear students talk about it anymore.

13. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 3, 2009

It probably depends on your area, because almost every teacher in every school in this community is on there. I'm on RateMyProfessor. I would imagine that only older students use either site. Instructors have the option of commenting, but I can't imagine doing that.

14. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jan 3, 2009

Well, I looked a tthe site. My school is there but it's horribly outdated. We have six teachers in my department including myself, and none of us are listed. There are teachers listed from 2004 (When I was a high school senior). In fact, the teacher I replaced isn't even listed!

15. decseh05

decseh05 Rookie

Jan 3, 2009

I agree. It's like the site "wants" you to reply and rebuttle yourself. That would make a teacher look really good, huh? Arguing with students over some stupid e-rating.

16. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jan 3, 2009

Ha! Right?! Even if you have a valid argument people would be like "Shouldn't you be graded papers or shaping the future or something? Why are you on that stupid site anyway?"

17. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 3, 2009

I looked, I'm not there :)

18. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Jan 3, 2009

Well, I had to be nosy and check it out. Nobody from our school is listed. I figured as much. I didn't think out elementary students would know about this site. Most of them don't have access to computers anyway.

19. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jan 3, 2009

The elementary school I work at isn't listed. But my high school is... the ratings are less than wonderful. But I guess everything on there has to be taken with a grain of salt because the comments were probably written by an angry student.

20. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jan 3, 2009

Oh ya, along with a few other posters, I use rate my profs every semester and it actually helps me choose my classes. So far the reviews of my profs always have some truth to them:)

21. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2009

I looked on it. My old school is listed but there isn't one rating on it. I am tempted to rate the principal but that would just mean I'm a petty, bitter out of work teacher. So guess I am not going too. I did look at the school where my kids go to and although there are some teachers on there dont teach there anymore the ones that had great reviews, I totally agree with and so would my kids. Only the city college that I attended is on there. The two major univerisites aren't even listed.

22. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

Jan 4, 2009

Students post on there either because they hate a teacher or they're infatuated with a teacher. The feedback is meaningless.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2009

I'm not on ratemyteachers, but I did find myself on ratemyprofessors. I'm apparently hot :blush:, allthough one shouldn't take my class if one wants a life, since I assign so much work. Well, they don't have to worry about that anymore as I'm not teaching classes there anymore; I moved to a student services positoin. My middle schoolers, on the other hand, still have to put up with me.

24. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2009

This ratemyteachers sounds like genuine junk, imho. But ratemyprofessors is pretty useful, especially since in college you actually have a choice. I always ignored vague comments and paid attention to the helpful ones -- every prof will have some people disgruntled with them, but if you look at the reasons you can sometimes see trends that are pretty telling.

25. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jan 4, 2009

So I had to check now, and I'm listed. It's a good one though. But really, what's the worth of this site?

26. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 4, 2009

Hmm, I checked my school, and we're listed as a separate elem and HS, even though we're all one building. There are no teachers from the elem, and 5 "entries" in the HS-

1. Teacher who left 3 years ago-a 1 rating, yet the comment "He's cool wit it".
    2. A grade 1 HS teacher (?) with a 5-no comment. She is still there, but not in grade 1 or high school
    3. The school secretary, an administrator, with a 5 rating and the comment "AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: )"
    4. A retired teacher who left in 2002, a 1, the comment left in 2005-"This lady a poor teacher, collected pay check and done". (Hmm, apparantly this poster knows nothing about teacher pay-or grammar for that matter. I had her in high school and contrary to this brainiac's opinion, she was a very good teacher.)
    5. Tom Smith, also an administrator. Don't know him, and I've been in this school in some capacity since 1984 (Kindergarten). Someone does though, they rated him a 5 and commented "Tom, you rock!!! wish you were still here" Interestingly, Tom is the only teacher who got 2 ratings (both 5's-impressive Tom!), and on different dates (12/19/03 and 12/28/03).

Junk.

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2009

I'm not on there, but I looked at some of my former coworkers... one was terrible:

"I am in all gifted since first grade and i guarentee i'll be more successful than you. you're a teacher! minimum wage!"

Hmm. One of the hardest-working teachers and a true child advocate gets this? The teachers who "let us do whatever we want" get the best ratings? Garbage.

PS... how bad would it be for me to reply to the kid's message and say "Being gifted doesn't guarantee success?" :whistle:

28. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 6, 2009

I checked, and I'm not even on there. I'm not sure I'd want to know anyway.

29. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Jan 7, 2009

I'm on there with 1 excellent rating. It was nice to see but I'm over it. :)