Do you ever get tired of teaching the same subject over and over each day?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Arky, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jan 2, 2009

I have always taught self contained classrooms. I have wanted to try moving to the 5 or 6th grade and teaching one subject all day. My concern is would I get tired of teaching 6 classes or more of social studies for instance? Trying to plan for all the subjects is getting to me.

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 2, 2009

I switched from elementary to HS this year and teach two different subjects. Boredom is not an issue at all. And only planning for two subjects is wonderful. Keep in mind though, some MS and HS teachers end up with 4-5 preps so don't assume if you do switch to a subject specialization that you'll only have one or two preps.

4. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jan 2, 2009

Explain what you mean by 4-5 preps. Do you mean they have that many planning times in one day????? Thanks

5. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 2, 2009

No, I never get tired of it because I have 5 preps (classes to prepare for) and only teach the same class twice in a day at most :)

6. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jan 2, 2009

I think as the day goes on it gets more fun teaching the same class because everytime you teach a lesson you become more familiar with it and become more creative for the next period!

7. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jan 2, 2009

I am shocked. You might have 4-5 planning periods? Is this common among high school teachers? I thought all of you taught 5-7 classes a day with one planning period. I would think I had died and gone to teacher heaven.

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2009

When I taught elementary school, we referred to our off period as a "prep" period. In secondary, most often the number of "preps" is the number of classes you have to prepare for. A math teacher who teaches a class of algebra and a class of calc and a class of trig has 3 preps. They may teach algebra twice a day though.
    I teach science 5 times a day and there are days that I get tired of it by the 4th time and get a little silly in the last class but I enjoy teaching the subject in different ways depending on the class. I wouldn't go back to elementary!

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2009

If you want to go to 5th or 6th grade you probably won't have the high school 5 different classes to prepare for problem (which is pretty much the same as an elementary teacher preparing for all subjects). At 5th and 6th grade you aren't teaching different math classes, it's just 6th grade math. At most you might get an honors class or a remedial class that has a different curriculum. I am in my 2nd year teaching 6th grade. Last year I taught 2 english classes and 3 math classes. This year I just teach 3 math classes. I do basically the same stuff in each class, with slight variations for the kids. I don't get bored.

10. glen

glen Companion

Jan 2, 2009

4-5 preps means preparing for 4 or five different classes daily. That is what I have to do. I teach 7th and 8th grade, but 5 different classes daily.

11. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jan 2, 2009

I have two preps-9th and 10th. I have 3 classes of each. By the time I get to the last class of both-I 'sometimes' get tired of repeating myself with the bulk of the lesson. But I get better each time I do it! Each class is different, some get into the lesson more/ask questions and that makes it entertaining and interesting. I like only planning for two subjects-I feel I can devote more time and create more interesting lessons for the students. I do teach history..I like not worrying about math/science (which I'm bad at) or English (I like it however) I stick to one 'genre' and I'm good to go. Two books, two sets of core content. I have one planning period, 6 classes.

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2009

I have 3 preps with 2 classes of each--Physical Science (H), Physics (A), and Physics (H). Next year it looks like I will have 4 preps. I have had years where I have had 5 preps but they are all within science. In elementary school you could prep english, reading, science, math, etc. I do not get bored teaching the same subject because each class is different. I also do not get a planning period everyday. The students take 7 classes and I teach 6. We rotate out a class period everyday so every 7th day, my planning period rotates out and I teach 6 classes.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2009

Each class is so different from the others that I seldom get bored.

That said, my ideal course load is 2-3 different preps. I've done 4, but that gets a bit hectic at testing time. (I DO make up a different test for each of my classes, but all my Algebra I tests are roughly similar to teach other. The second is a breeze to make up, since the first is already formatted.)

This year I have 2 different ability levels of Algebra I and 3 SAT prep classes. My schedule varies widely from day to day. Every other day my slower freshmen have a double period. Once a week I have 2 SAT classes, one day I have only one. Every day I have a study hall in the cafeteria with 3 other teachers.

It's a lot of things, but it's not boring.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2009

I teach 7th grade language arts to five different groups of students per day. Although I'm technically teaching the same subject matter all day long, the dynamics of each class are different, so it's not exactly the same all day. I have two all-make classes, one all-female class, and two mixed-gender groups. They all have different needs.

I always joke that my last class of the day gets my best lesson because I've managed to work out all the bugs with the other class periods.

Plus, I'm not at all interested in other subject. I like being able to focus on one area.

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 2, 2009

No, I mean that many different classes. Like a math person teaching algebra 1, honors algebra, pre-calculus, and AP calculus. But just one prep per day to prepare for all 4 classes. Sorry for the confusion!