Do you ever get tired of biting your tongue?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teaching Grace, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2009

This is my problem this year. I feel like several things that are in my grade level or around the school and the way it works are just ridiculous. Yet, I find myself biting my tongue for the sake of politics. Anyone else have this issue? I just wish I could express my opinion!!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2009

Our school has a Teacher Advisory Council for this very reason. Teachers bring issues to TAC, and TAC tries to resolve the issues with administrators.

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 22, 2009

I wonder what its like to bite my tongue, I have the opposite problem. The whole foot in mouth issue.

5. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2009

I just hate playing the "game". I tried to post something on my Facebook and my husband got all over me about how it sounded sarcastic (even though I didn't mean it that way). I've already taken everyone from the school off of my page. It's just so frustrating to not be able to voice my opinion about issues without fearing retribution.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2009

yep!

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 22, 2009

Yes.

8. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 23, 2009

Bit mine a couple of times yesterday. I thought it was totally unnecessary to have a team meeting with 3 team members out. She held it anyway even though it wasn't important, we will have to go over the information again because 3 people missed it. I bit my tongue, and graded some assessments, if I hadn't I would have just had a lost planning time instead of actually getting something done.

9. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Sep 23, 2009

I don't have the biting of the tongue issue at school. I just let it all go because it's not worth my time or effort. However, I do want to run my mouth to my stepchildren's mother about how awful she is. I still bite my tongue though because I am the "bigger person."

10. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2009

I've bitten my tongue until it has holes in it! I think that's the way it is in a lot of schools/districts! I'm not a pessimist--just a realist!

11. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Sep 23, 2009

I am not a tongue biter as much as a choose-the-mountain-I'm-willing-to-die-on-er....If I think it is not in the best interest of kids and learning, then I will say something. I don't do it publicly. The conversations happen privately. But this year more than others, I find myself really thinking if it is worth it or not. There is so much going on that is more about the ego of our principal than about teaching and learning. Although he will listen, we just have to be ready for him to take credit for the idea.

12. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 23, 2009

Yes! I hate biting my tongue! I'm the "novice teacher", so I have to bite my tongue very often.

13. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Sep 24, 2009

I once told an entire staffroom that I was the best thing that had ever happened to em !!! I think I pulled it off !!!;)