Do you ever get a little lazy on the job

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Jan 27, 2017.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Jan 27, 2017

Hi you all! I teach Pre K and for 8+ hours of the week day my life is surrounded by a group of 4 and 5 year old children. I find myself being a little lazy sometimes. For instance, all of this week consisted of review, centers, and outdoor. I did no learning groups this week, but I did do teacher instructed activities with certain groups that need a little one on one time.

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 27, 2017

I don't think that's lazy, just a change of pace. It sounds like you're still meeting with groups?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  4. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jan 28, 2017

I might have a lazy half hour here and there, but a whole week? No, I would feel that's inappropriate.

czacza and otterpop like this.
  5. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Jan 28, 2017

I guess? Ive been feeling unmotivated not sure if that counts as "lazyness" lol Right now we have no room to be lazy because we are getting a visit soon.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 28, 2017

I wouldn't call it laziness.
    During this semester, because we merged with another school, and our contracts and schedule didn't really match, we have 15 minutes / day for prep time !! Yes, that's correct, 7:30-7:45 is our time to ourselves, the other 15 minutes before and 15 minutes after school is spent with student supervision.
    So I guess we're supposed to spend hours from our own time?
    I teach 2 different preps, but my P agreed that I can teach the same thing to all (alt ed, we don't have set curriculum, I'm the only English teacher, and every semester it's something different anyways)
    However I also have a credit recovery class, in which I have 14 students overall. Yes, they're working quietly and independently so I have time to myself, but I' still left with work for 14 students that have to be graded. (for the entire semester!!)

So I decided that this semester we will be watching lots of videos. I don't mean cartoons, but videos that supplement the content. We're reading biographies, (for a while) and for example we've read about Gandhi (3 days) and then showed them a 45 minutes documentary that was perfect, because it tied everything together and provided actual footage. 45 minutes time 5 class periods gave me a lot of time to catch up on grading, and do some planning. They were answering questions about the video though.

We'll be reading about Cesar Chavez, I actually have lots of videos, but they're short, so they don't help me (but help the students).

We'll read about Ben Carson, and yes I will show the movie Gifted Hands, and when we read about Helen Keller, we will watch the movie Miracle Worker.

They will be writing essays, and there will be plenty of times when I will end up staying half an hour to an hour after school, but I try to make it as easy as I can for myself, still be able to justify it all.

otterpop likes this.
  7. Leatherneck for Life

Leatherneck for Life Rookie

Jan 29, 2017

Lazy isn't the correct term, but I'm not as... enthusiastic in the afternoon hours as I am in the morning. Who knew that teaching 16, 17, and 18-year-olds could be so tiring? Wonder if the Corps will let me come back. :D I'm kidding, I'm proud of the time I served, but I like seeing my wife and kids every day.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    ms.irene likes this.
  8. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jan 29, 2017

Wow these comments makes me feel like I am not the only one. I usually get lazy towards the end of the day because I also have my students and then 8 more other students that comes in after school.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 29, 2017

Because I'm in high school, I have to bring the same energy, same level of lesson during the end of the day or the 1st period. so I choose an easier day for everyone, or no one :)

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 29, 2017

We're only human--we can only keep a particular stride going for a certain amount of time.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  11. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jan 30, 2017

Honestly I had the same approach with my 8th graders right around Christmas. I was bored of my normal teaching style so we hadn't an in class project that ended up lasting about 3 weeks. They researched events during one of the first 5 presidents and created an illustrated timeline on a poster board. They had to include why the event was important or how it influenced the country or world when it happened. Giving them class time for the projects ended up being the highlight of my day for a while, even though I felt a little lazy at the time.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 30, 2017

We all get burnt out and need a little change here and there to get us refreshed!

yellowdaisies likes this.
  13. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jan 30, 2017

I am going to plan my "Lazy Days" at the end of each unit. I will just review all week and assess to see if some of the children got the concepts that were taught in he unit.

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 30, 2017

And remember. They are preschoolers not adults. They need some downtime to play and be a kid.

creativemonster and ms.irene like this.
  15. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2017

Kind of off-topic, but do you have the free video and lesson plans on Chavez from Teaching Tolerance (http://www.tolerance.org/teaching-kits) ? It's called Viva La Causa and is well-done.

16. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2017

This doesn't sound lazy to me, more like good teaching! Remember that they should be doing more than you. At least, that's what we are told in secondary ed.

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2017

I know I get tired after lunch so I schedule my day to do most of the academics before lunch so we can work a little easier in the afternoon.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 30, 2017

No, I don't :( I actually have the reading I downloaded a couple of years ago and I created questions to answer. I have a few videos from YouTube, and a 54 minute documentary, which is old, but pretty good.
    But I'll check this out ! thank you!

ms.irene likes this.
  19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2017

Lazy is not a word anyone would use to describe me in a classroom. My para comments at least once a week on my energy and enthusiasm.

20. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Feb 4, 2017

Sometimes I back off and do things I know kids can complete with little/no help because I'm just spent. I have two words for it: self preservation.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  21. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2017

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2017

I'm never ever lazy at work. During independent work, however, I will carve a moment to have a sip of my coffee and check school email before returning back to my kiddos....we all need a few minutes to breathe, to regroup, but it's never a whole day or a long block of time for me.
    Teaching doesn't exhaust me...I'm driven by what we do, joyful discoveries, a ha moments, making a difference..I also peer coach new teachers, serve on district and local committees, am an officer in our union, and tutor 2-3 hours per week...my paras comment on my energy....yeah, lazy just isnt a word one would use to describe me....unless its the weekend and even then, my lazy is pretty productive.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    MathGuy82 likes this.
  23. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Feb 4, 2017

Especially after lunch. Kids are tired, I'm tired. I wish sometimes school ended by noon or 1pm. It's sometimes so hard to get kids motivated the last periods of the day. This is just some days, not all. I am also taking an extra class to where I pretty only have lunch as my break so there isn't much prep time. I live where the elevation is higher, above 7000 feet, and this seems to make people a little more lazy than usual.

24. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Feb 4, 2017

I wish you were working where I work! I enjoy your enthusiasm. Most teachers can hardly wait until the next day off where I'm at. I used to be quite the enthusiastic one and people starting putting me down for it or saying I was faking it. I enjoy my job too but it seems as though it's not too cool to say that around where I work. Maybe that's because I work for an alternative school.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2017

Xox. Don't let them get you down....your enthusiasm makes a difference for your students and a positive mindset is much healthier than whining and being miserable....

MathGuy82 likes this.
  26. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Feb 5, 2017

Thank you czacza!! I agree!!!!