Do you ever feel....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Mar 10, 2019.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Mar 10, 2019

Do you ever feel like you can't do all you need to for your students because you're dealing with your own personal issues? Not to get too personal, but I am going through a lot right now. I go to work every single day. I teach the curriculum. I am there for my students while they are in my presence. But, I literally cannot plan 1 field trip. I cannot talk to parents and hear their sob stories about why they don't send their children to school. I cannot do stupid committees that waste my time. I cannot be there to help my colleagues with ideas or "collaboration." I cannot do clubs. I cannot do games. I just emotionally can't.

I am doing all I can, and I know that everyone at work thinks I am fine. I am just wondering if anyone else has gone through personal struggles while teaching. How did you balance work and home life? I am not new to the field, but I am new to having the feeling like everything is falling apart.

Sorry if this is melodramatic. I do not want to cause alarm. I am not over the edge. I am just trying to preserve what I have left inside. (If that makes sense.)

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 10, 2019

Take care of yourself. If you are there for your students while they are in class, that is more than some can say.

I have had family illnesses and just taking on too many obligations, and it is tough. Cut out what you can, but some things are beyond your control to fix.

Hoping you get a spring break, and that summer will help.

This is a very tough field.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 10, 2019

Sometimes you just have to take it a day (or an hour) at a time. Do the best you can.

I’ve had my own serious illness, illness and death or a father-in-law and dad, a terminal cancer diagnosis for my mom, and a crumbling marriage to an emotionally abusive husband. It all took a toll on me. I tried to hold it together at work. I did have a few friends at work who knew the struggles, which helped.

Take care of yourself.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  5. Kardinal

Kardinal Rookie

Mar 13, 2019

It happens to me too, but rarely.

6. James Butler

James Butler New Member

Apr 15, 2019

That's tough. I've been through this. We've all been, I think. I don't know how people balance home life and work. After the second divorce , I gave up on my personal life. Now I'm into my work for 100%.

ecteach likes this.
  7. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Apr 17, 2019

This might be a time that you do the minimum at work. That is not to say you are not a good teacher during this time - remain your brilliant self during class, but maybe dial down the extra stuff - field trips, special projects, anything you can cut, do so. Honestly, allow yourself to be a B- teacher. That sounds odd perhaps, but we cannot be all things to all people all the time and sometimes we MUST put ourselves first. Whatever it is you are dealing with outside of the classroom sounds like it needs your focus right now. Practice being kind to yourself right now. And don't feel guilty for it, feel proud: in the long run it is what makes you a better teacher. Sending e-hugs.

Backroads and ecteach like this.
  8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 14, 2019

I think people should try to leave personal issues at home and not bring them into the workplace (not just people who work in schools...any profession). I've worked with many people who make bad personal choices that carry over to work and I really don't have time to deal with that and do my job since these people end up NOT doing their job properly as a result. I do think people need to put themselves first but not if it is affecting other people during work hours.