Do you ever feel you are in a different "place"

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Alaskanteach, Jan 13, 2007.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 27, 2007

singing, off key "I've got a lov-e-ly bunch o' coconuts.."

2. b-radical

b-radical Companion

Jan 27, 2007

I am a first year teacher at the age of almost 48. I feel like I'm living in some kind of time warp. I have 25 year old twin daughters, and my youngest daughter started high school this year.

What I've found so far this year is that my life experiences matter a lot, what the 20-somethings have learned in college help a lot, and we end up helping each other. I also love the fact that my students think I'm ancient. "The Beatles?" one said the other day. "Aren't they like 90?"

There's such a mix of lives in a school--both in staff and students. It's an interesting and . . . adventurous microcosm!

Be well!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2007

OUCH!!!!!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2007

How funny; I'm the mirror image.

I'm 48, with 20 years teaching experience, but my kids are 3, 6 and 8.:eek:

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2007

SOOOOOOOOOO....

Where is everyone??

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2007

Sure, now I'm here and you all leave.... hmmmphhh:rolleyes:

7. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Jan 27, 2007

Hi Aliceacc,

I was on here for about three hours and then I decided that around 5:00pm I would start my lesson planning for the week. I was able to complete my literacy lessons. Tomorrow hopefully I will finish my homework assignments and math lesson for the week. I like to get myself ready that way. It took me five and a half hour to just do my literacy lessons today.:rolleyes:

Where were all of you?:angel:

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 27, 2007

I was at Target, then Sonny's BBQ with my mother.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2007

No I don't, but they are spring ideas so we'll see.

10. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Jan 27, 2007

Wow, that beats what I stayed home and did. When do you plan for the week?

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2007

I've been gone all day. My adorable 2 year old grandson is asleep now after many favorite stories! I love cuddling up with him for the night so won't be here long!

12. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Jan 27, 2007

Sorry about that but I had to get some work done.:eek:

13. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Jan 27, 2007

Good night I hope to chat with you some time soon. You sound like you have a lot of great advice.:angel:

14. b-radical

b-radical Companion

Jan 27, 2007

Kudos to ya'! I miss having that kind of kid life in my home. I miss the finger paints and oatmeal and saying things like, "OK, who painted the cat?"

I'm also happy I have only one more daughter to get through driver's ed.

Life just keeps going on. Some days that's great, and some days I'd like to make time go just a little slower.

Be well!

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 27, 2007

I do my planning at school in my planning periods!! I have plenty of them, actually.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2007

I did an unusually large amount of planning Saturday morning. Now I'm set for the next week and a half or so.

I popped by each time I was in the basement doing laundry, so I was actually on quite a lot yesterday.

17. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Jan 28, 2007

Good Morning,

I have 5 prep periods a week. But I use those periods for assessing work, testing. grade conferences, planning for the next period, getting the homework into their folders for the start of the week, checking homework. How many preps do you exactly have? :eek:

18. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Jan 28, 2007

Good Morning,

I am now going to make breakfast, and do laundry. Do you plan homework for the week also? What grade do you teach?

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 28, 2007

I have 6 preps plus 4 free lunches. Lunches are only about 30 minutes, preps are 50. The difference is that I have only 7 students in 5th grade (I teach them everything except science). I have 8 kids in my middle school math class, one period a day. So grading is done very quickly.

The only planning I do at home is finding things on the web. I tutor after school 3 days a week, have a staff meeting one day a week, and try to get out of there as early as possible on Fridays. I go in 30 minutes before students arrive.

I can't say I take the easy way out, either. I only use one workbook (math) and no textbooks except for reference. We use novels for reading and a history newspaper for SS. I have tons of resources like teacher books and materials, manipulatives, posters, non-fiction stuff, craft materials, etc., in the room, and a huge classroom library. I have virtually no technology in my room, though.

20. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Jan 28, 2007

I guess that is really different from teaching a Kindergarten class of 24 students Monday thru Friday. I see you also have a hectic schedule. Wow

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 28, 2007

Yes, 'cause on Thursdays I tutor 4 kids after school (some 30 minutes, 1 45). But, it doesn't feel so hectic because of the environment.

22. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Jan 28, 2007

When do you begin the school day and end. Over here we begin at 8:00am and end at 2:10pm. Then we have 37 and a half minutes an extended day from Monday thru Thursday.

23. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2007

Upsadaisy,

I just jumped on and read some of the last few posts. Wow, you use no textbooks except for reference, I think that is wonderful! Is that the way most teachers teach also. Your school sounds like a great, environment. I think I would be so happy in a small setting, or at least a private school.

Anyway, I think not relying on textbooks is great. I've always thought they were reference materials anyway, but I can still remember even in HS how my SS teacher would have us copy verbatim notes that we just read in the textbook. :confused:

24. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2007

EBKlYN,

Is the extended school day effective in all schools now?

25. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Jan 28, 2007

MissFrizzle,

In my opinion it is not effective as far as time is concern. I like the idea of having the most needed students held back after school. But by the time I dismiss the regular students and go back up to the classroom some time has already lapsed between there. I do not know how effective it is in other schools.

26. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2007

What section of Brooklyn do you teach in( or you can PM me) if you don't wish to say

27. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 28, 2007

Geez I can't keep up. Yesterday I went to the mall shopping (only bought bf's mom her christmas present for next year). Than visited with some friends, and came to my mom's house. This morning got up at 7am out of the house at 7:50. My dad and I went alpine skiing. We were on the slopes by 8:40 and off the slopes at 10:30. Made a total of seven runs. People started showing up. Oh and I fell :eek:
    Not a normal thing. I don't think I have fallen free skiing in about 12 yrs or more. My dad was looking at me like I was insane. Only hurt my thumb and my left shoulder. Should be fine. Good think it was my left thumb. I don't need it to type with.

I also, do all my planning at school. I have a half hour before school starts, and an hour every day (if I don't keep any one in for recess).
    I also have an extra hour every Thursday and Friday. Oh and I usually stay at the school an hour longer than the kids.
    So that gives me about 15 hours a week of planning at school for my nine grade levels :D

Well now I need to go empty the litter boxes, pack and drive back to Scaryville.

28. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 28, 2007

Hey, be careful out there, Jaime.

MissFrizzle, no, my methods are not the same as those of the other teachers. We are each allowed to do our own thing. I don't teach grammar this year, I must say. I used to use a workbook for that, but have decided to focus on writing since we have intensive grammar in middle school. There is just no time to do both. I really dislike reading texts, maybe because I'm not a fan of short stories, myself. I love my social studies newspapers which cover the content in a succinct and meaningful fashion. The kids remember the main points better than with a text.

It is a pretty amazing place. Have you ever applied at private schools (not only Catholic)?

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 28, 2007

I'm back to Scaryville. And guess what I drive with my left hand! OUCH! But I can't wait to go home next weekend. I am going to ski both Saturday and Sunday!

How was everyones Sunday?

30. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 28, 2007

I thought my Rest room thread was long a while ago. It had 424 posts. And I can't find the dead fish thread. But I think this one takes the longest thread in forum history lol.
    Think we can make it to 1000?

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2007

Sure-- give us another busy Saturday night and we're good to go!

32. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2007

Jaime, I think my Pet Lovers thread was longer!

33. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2007

Ahhhhhh, I was going to resurrect that thread, but it is archived! It had over 900 posts!

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 28, 2007

Awww, pobrecita!

But I bet there are threads on gamers' Web sites that are longer.

35. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jan 28, 2007

goodie, finally a place to talk with someone who's seen more than just sponge bob!! I've been married 25 years+4 months. Feels like forever. Yes, its nice being able to talk to someone whenever you want. Its even nicer to be able to talk without saying anywords because you've been together so long. But its just as irritating to know, just know that there are certian things that you personally would love to do together or have done by him, will never ever ever be done. Then, he goes and flips my world over, by actually volunteering to work in the yard WITH me!?! yep, that happened today. Don't want to be too loud , he might hear me , then it will be another 25 years before it will happen.
    Favorite foods??? Chocolate, yep. nothing can beat dark chocolate!!! Favorite comfort food: chicken dumplings like my mom used to make years ago. Haven't had any like it in 15 years, and probably never will again. Mom's cooking has gone down hill dramatically.
    Missy , I am so glad to hear your hubby survived the crash okay!!
    Grammy, Throwing potatoes from the roof????? That's got my parents beat! They used to take us on Sunday hikes, and when we'd wander off, they'd quickly run ahead,hide behind a bush , then jump out at us growling like bears!! Or when my sister would neglect to mow the yard, mom would find the most disgusting toads and bring them in, put 'em in the fridge abit, wet them down then put them down my sisters shirt as she was reading a book(she was always reading!!)
    Yes, Grammy you could write a great book!! Let us know when you start. I want one of the first copies.
    munchkin

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 28, 2007

She was trying to make sure that your sister toad the line. Or the linen, as the case may be.

37. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 29, 2007

Hi all! I'm back at school so back to work. I did NOTHING school related aside from lesson plans this weekend. Very Lazy

38. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2007

Upsadaisy,

Yes, I've applied to private schools, but with no luck. Not even an interview.

39. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 29, 2007

Oh, Miss Frizz, those schools don't know what they are missing.

40. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Jan 29, 2007

Well, we kicked into semester #2 today........92 down, 91 to go!

Relating back a couple of pages......our hours are 7:25-2:00. Nothing like trying to make contact with high schoolers are 7:25 in the morning! Talk about zombie-land!