Do you ever feel like...

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by trayums, Jul 2, 2011.

1. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2011

the grim reaper as a first grade teacher? I feel like I am always "breaking" the news to parents where there are problems (academic/behavioral etc). I loveeeeeeeeeeee teaching first but I always feel like the bad guy!:dizzy:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2011

Not a grade one teacher, but there are ways to deliver 'bad news' to parents so that you and they have a positive outlook on the situation. Always let parents know the interventions you have taken, assessment results, and a course of action...Always always let them know you have their child's best interest at heart and that you value their support in their child's education. It's never easy, but it's better if you can deliver the news in a most caring, loving, and knowledgeable way. Don't feel like the bad guy though...you are doing your job...better to alert parents and other professionals to potential struggles than to let such issues fall through the cracks. :hugs:

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 2, 2011

Not a 1st grade teacher but I do teach a lot of students their first year of high school. It is quite difficult to tell parents that the same children they have known for 14 years and who have received straight A's in science all of their lives are actually not that gifted in the subject. In my area teachers are known to give high marks for students who do what is expected. So an A is for doing the minimum requirements. Parents place their children in their first honors high school course and expect the same.

Each semester I carefully tell parents that an A in middle school science does not equate to an A in my course. And that I have several students every semester who "always get an A in science" get their first B.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2011

Well, this last year I had so many high kids that I had very little bad news to give. There was one student who I was concerned about, even thinking he might have to go back and repeat pre-first, and Mom was not happy with me in that meeting. Since then, he has made huge growth, but he needed tutoring and lots of individual attention in class to make it happen. Tank goodness he demonstrated such growth, otherwise I think Mom would have fought me on it.