Do you ever feel like a fake?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Geologygirl, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Sep 14, 2014

I am a new teacher. Every Sunday night I feel great anxiety that some thing will go wrong or that I am not prepared enough. I am at a great school, my kids are doing pretty well, I have everything ready for tommarrow, lab stuff, copies ect... But I still feel unprepared like I do not know what I am doing, and I am a big fake. Does anyone else ever feel like this?

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2014

I did my very first year. I felt like a phony.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2014

It took years for that feeling to go away completely. Occasionally, when I'm having a difficult time with something, it rears its head.

5. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 14, 2014

I have the same feeling. It's natural for a new teacher. Always ask for help if you're stuck. I feel bad when I do it but people assure me that it's the right thing to do. Good luck!

6. soccerkid

soccerkid Rookie

Sep 14, 2014

I'm a new teacher this year as well and I know the feeling! Your always wondering am I doing ok? Are they getting it? Am I teaching them what they need to know? And tons more questions are always in the back of my mind. I think its mostly the reassurance that your doing just fine thing from student teaching that I miss. I'm kind of relived to see I'm not the only one that feels this way! Im at a school that is getting a curriculum review this year which is a major project for me, since I'm a new teacher. I had another teacher look at my progress and she told me it was fantastic and that it was better than some of the veteran teachers. I was in shock when she said that because I didn't think I could possibly be doing it right!

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 14, 2014

I feel like a fake adult sometimes. I have my own house and sometimes I wonder if I really have it together like it seems.

Teaching wise I only felt like a fake my first two years teaching AP.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2014

What I bolded were my exact thoughts when I read this thread...how did you end up turning the corner in your self-belief?

9. sarahwilla

sarahwilla Rookie

Sep 17, 2014

unless you are a expert, you feel like you are in complete. no one is expert or perfect. so dont feel like you are faking it happens with most of them :)

10. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Sep 17, 2014

I feel this way teaching math, which I'm doing again this year! Social studies--- I would not have that feeling. I didn't have that feeling even as an intern. For me, I have 100% confidence in my abilities to teach social studies...not so much for math. I feel like I'm fumbling around in the dark--feeling for chairs, feeling for walls, etc.

11. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2014

I feel like this all the time. Not only as a teacher, but in almost everything I do. When I was in school, I would doubt whether I was successful because I worked hard/earned it, or because my teachers just liked me or something. I always felt like the "ruse" would fall apart at some point and everyone would see through me.

For years, I thought this was just me, but then I read an article about the "impostor syndrome" that apparently is quite common among over-achievers, especially women. Here is a link to an article about this. There was also an article in The Atlantic recently about a similar phenomenon in which women in particular are susceptible to this kind of thinking.

I think all of us feel this way at times to some degree, but some of us are more prone to self-scrutiny and self-doubt. I have learned through therapy and meditation to train myself to focus on the good and let the bad go, and also to look at real-life evidence of my success, like HeartDrama mentioned.

I think teaching is an especially challenging profession for those of us who feel this way since it is impossible to do everything that is asked of us to the best of our ability all the time. We are always overwhelmed and can't be everything to everyone. We have to learn to let some things go and go easy on ourselves.

I think teachers tend to be people who are passionate, but also perfectionists, and we are hardest on ourselves above all. Take a minute today and look around your classroom and focus on one good thing. Soak it up, even if it's just one minute of your day. Keep doing this every day and keep reminding yourself of what you are doing right! It's a habit of mind I am still working on myself.

12. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Sep 18, 2014

Yes, all women. Check out some books by Brene brown.