Do you envy those who get to enjoy their whole weekend?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Oct 7, 2012.

1. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Oct 7, 2012

I am sitting here watching my husband watch football, and I am envious. Every single Sunday of mine from August to June is spent on school stuff. Whether it is lesson plans, IEP's, or other miscellaneous things that I don't get finished during the week, I work all day Sunday every weekend.

Woe is me! ;)

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 7, 2012

I worked every single Sunday last year (my first year). This year I'm learning I don't really need to if I'm productive enough during the week. I always bring work home but it's optional. If I feel like doing it, great. If not, oh well, no harm! It's been WONDERFUL. I do pick one day to stay until 5pm working on stuff.

Now when I have essays my schedule changes. For the most part though, this has been working great! BF and I are currently watching the Steelers/Eagles and listening to the Browns/Giants, while planning our menu for the week.

GOOOOOOO BROWNS!!!!!!

4. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Oct 7, 2012

I rarely work on the weekends.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2012

Ditto.

I believe that life is what you make of it. If you make your personal life a priority, you'll find time to do the things you enjoy doing.

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 7, 2012

No, because I feel like my work is meaningful. I had a good "clock in/clock out" job before this. Sure, I got more time to myself, but the work didn't really make any good impact. I felt like I was running on a hamster wheel 40 hours a week and not really getting anywhere.

I'm not sure if that mentality will sustain me for 31 more years, but it's working for now. :haha:

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 7, 2012

Sometimes. Yesterday I did no school work. I do set limits. I refuse to ever stay up late to do school work. I get a good night sleep, and I am sure the students are better off because of it. I do mix some work with pleasure. I try to grade papers while watching a football game or watching the History Channel. I do still work a bit more than I like to on Sundays, but the weekend work is getting a bit less each year I teach.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 7, 2012

Nowadays, I have some kind of grad school homework/test pretty much EVERY weekend from 2011 - 2014. I have actual work for work about 2 weekends a month...sometimes more, sometimes a little less.

YES! I do envy people w/ certain jobs. I wish my job was to clock in/out at a certain time ON THE DOT & when work's over, it's over! No continuous problems/issues, meetings, etc.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 7, 2012

I don't often envy others because I think I have an awesome job. However, when I'm sick and having to go up to school to get things ready and try to find my own sub I think back to those "regular" jobs during college. I look at my friends who aren't teachers and just call in. I do envy that.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2012

I enjoy my weekends but I'm not sitting around with my feet up eating bon bons either. I spend time with my family, run errands, some 'to dos' around the house, enjoy my home and garden, spend some time outside, maybe go to dinner. I do some planning and paperwork on Sunday nights, but it's the last thing I do on my weekend.

11. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Oct 7, 2012

I usually don't work on weekends either, unless I'm at a teaching conference. I give up plenty of my personal time and summer vacation for my job already. Because I like my job I'm okay with this, but now I'm taking 6 graduate credits. It's not like I'm out every weekend night, but it's also important to have a social life. I don't think I would enjoy teaching as much if I felt like it ruled my life that way.

Also, this year I have a good amount of prep time (much more than last year!), so I'm thankfully able to get a lot done during school hours.

12. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Oct 7, 2012

See...that's exactly what I WANT to do. lol!!

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2012

It took me years to get to the point where I finish all my work during the week so I can have weekends off. Sometimes I stay up really late on week days...but it is worth it for a blissful weekend!

I don't have any young children left at home...it makes a difference.

14. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Oct 7, 2012

No, I envy people like you, who have (teacher-related) work to do on the weekend.

15. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Oct 7, 2012

Are you unemployed? I hesitated writing this for that reason.

I didn't post it on my facebook, because I know several people who are unemployed right now.

Keep your head up!

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 7, 2012

I will probably put in a few hours this weekend to grade assignments and plan details for tomorrow. It's something I don't mind doing. I didn't start teaching until I was 35 and didn't start finding a good balance for my personal life until the past year or so. I sometimes regret not having more time to pursue my acting hobby, but I overdid it last year and almost burned out. Perhaps you need to experiment a little more to find a balance that makes you happy.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2012

I spend an hour, maybe two most Sunday afternoons. However, some weekends I don't do anything. I refuse to let my job dictate my entire life.

18. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

Oct 7, 2012

I like to work while watching football. So that's when I do most of my planning for the week.

19. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2012

DH may not have papers to grade, but he's been at the beck and call of his work-issued blackberry for the last 15 years or so. So I sit here and grade papers while we watch TV and he excuses himself to return phone calls. That's our life.
    I too am grateful to have a job.

20. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2012

I made a decision recently to no longer do school-related work at home weekdays or weekends. Time is too precious. I turn my lights off and lock my door during my preps so it looks as if I'm not in my classroom. I get my work done that way. I actually chuckle when I can hear someone fiddling with the door handle looking for me. It's my planning time and I use it for just that. I do occasionally have scheduled mtgs but those are already planned into my schedule so my preps are MINE.:whistle:

21. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Oct 7, 2012

My coteacher and I made a new rule for this school year. We are not bringing school work home on weekends. It will get done during the week and the kids will wait an extra day if they have to.

22. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 8, 2012

I don't do any work on weekends whatsoever. My personal rule is that if it doesn't get done at school, it can wait. I know that once I open that can of worms, I'll never have a life.

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 8, 2012

When I was teaching, I did envy leaving work at work. I have a different type of job now, and while I might still be in the honeymoon phase, I love locking the door and going home. I put my whole self into my job from 7-5 (well, except for now, as I'm sitting here proctoring a test and browsing AtoZ!), but my time is my time. Love it!

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 8, 2012

I usually leave at 3:15 but sometimes I stay later. I make sure I lock my door now because some teachers who stay late have come in (without even knocking) and want to talk or look at my lessons and materials. While I don't mind sharing things I really don't have time to chit chat since I want to go home! I sit at my computer desk with the light off and nobody can tell I'm in the room :whistle:

25. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 8, 2012

No weekend work and one day of the week is "late night." Otherwise, all work is done while at school. There is not enough time as it is for anything, let alone the things I want to spend my time doing. So school work stays at school.

26. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2012

Nope, because I'm one of the ones enjoying their whole weekend!!! :)

27. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 8, 2012

This was the first weekend I didn't work at all (well except for a little bit).

I had tons of work to do, but I decided to nix it, and enjoy my weekend. It was soooo relaxing. I'm going to get some student slaves to do the rest of my grading for me. ;3

28. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Oct 8, 2012

When I first started teaching, I did school work in the evenings and on weekends. But that only lasted for a few years. I have since learned to effectively manage and use my time at school to get work done at work. I refuse to let my job take over my personal time.

29. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Oct 9, 2012

I am wondering what is the difference in workload between middle school/high school and elementary school. I am certified to teach K-12, but all my experience is in elementary school. As I am looking to go back to college to get my Masters or another Bachelors and am weighing my options and I am looking into many factors that affect work-life balance. I of course don't mind some weekend/night work, especially in my first year of teaching a new grade level.

My questions are: What is the after hours work load for middle/high vs elementary?

What are your views on the job market for secondary vs elementary school? I am a teacher who hasn't been able to find a teaching job and am working in retail. I absolutely hate the retail hours (almost every single weekend, nights, and schedule all over the place). Hard to plan life with kids.

Thanks for your opinions!

30. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Oct 9, 2012

Well, darn, I need to find out what I am doing wrong. I work on school stuff every weekend! I do like to leave school by 4:00 though. Perhaps this is the issue.;)

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2012

There are so many factors at work that it's close to impossible to compare.

For starters, what subject are, or will, you be certified to teach? The job market in many parts of the country is decent for math, chem, or physics, but abysmal for English and Social Studies.

Second, are you prepared to do some sort of extra curricular activity? My first 18 years of teaching, I coached forensics every day after school and all day Saturday from mid September to March. Now I'm in charge of the National Honor Society-- I can expect to be at every concert, play, parent night and a lot of other things, organizing my kids.

As far as prep goes, a lot depends on what you teach and how comfortable you are with it. To be honest, I spend very little time planning each individual lesson. At this point in my career, I've taught almost all the math courses we offer in my building. (Interestingly enough, I've missed Math 6 and Math 8, though I have done long term subs in both to cover maternity leaves.) Give me a topic and a room number, and I can go in and teach the lesson. But that's NOW. In 1980, I put in plenty of time not only preparing my lessons, but ensuring that my explanations were clear, that I had sufficient alternate explanations, that my examples illustrated the point I wanted to make, that they increased in difficulty as I progressed through the class, and so on. Throw in 2 or 3 preps at a time, and you could be doing some serious planning.

So it's pretty hard to predict the work hours. Why not instead think in terms of the job you would prefer doing?

32. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 9, 2012

Me too!!

Although in a couple of weeks I will start writing report cards so then a few Saturday afternoons will go to that. But I certainly don't spend the whole weekend on school and I make sure to treat myself to plenty of snacks to get me through.

33. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Oct 10, 2012

Thanks for the information. My credential is for 6-12 SocialStudies (my BA is in History) and K-5 Multiple Subject. I had always thought I wanted to teach early elementary and this is the area where I have student taught and subbed. The problem is I haven't been able to land a teaching job and have been looking for the last 3 1/2 years. Yikes! I did move to another state right after I received my credential, which I think has been a big issue with getting a job. All my contacts were left in the state I came from. I am just weighing my options, thinking about going back to school, but uncertain about what area I should get another degree and whether I want to pile up student loans without the guarantee of a career. I have a job in retail, which pays 1/2 what a teachers salary is and the hours are crazy. Working all the holidays, weekends, and nights is taking a toll on my family life. Of course I didn't get my teaching degree to have time off work! I know when you are not in the classroom in front of the students, you are in constant planning mode. Just a normal schedule would be awesome.